Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-01-2024, 06:46 PM   #1
Jkl1125

Drives: 2023 Tahoe 2018 Camaro Zl1
ZL1 Reverse Grind

Hey everyone, my 2018 Zl1 just started to have a very quick grind when shifting into reverse. I first noticed it couple days ago when pulling up to ATM I had to reverse and it didn’t want to go into reverse and just made grinding noises. I was thinking maybe I just didn’t have clutch all the way to the floor and didn’t think to much into it, but over last few days I’ve noticed getting in it in the morning put into reverse and it made same grind but popped in quickly and then after work again leaving same thing. Once it grinds seems to go into R perfectly until the next time I get in it and need to back up. Any suggestions. It is due for oil change going to send it to Chevy and see if they come up with anything but I have a feeling they will just say everything looks good and send me on my way.

Thank you in advance for any input
Jkl1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 09:22 AM   #2
nighttowl
Sarcasm loading --------

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
how many miles are on it?

2018 MBM ZL1 1LE - Stock
2014 CRT ZL1 574 rwhp, 537 rwtq - SOLD
2010 IBM SS Camaro VVT L99 w/ TR6060 swap, 489 rwhp, 444 rwtq - SOLD
nighttowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 09:31 AM   #3
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Does it grind if you were to shift it into first, creep forward a little and then clutch back in and shift into reverse? What if you double clutch? What if when you push the clutch in to turn it on, you leave your foot down and then shift into reverse?

Prior:
2016 Camaro 1SS
2007 Mustang GT
2008 Civic Si
m6-lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 06:17 PM   #4
Jkl1125

Drives: 2023 Tahoe 2018 Camaro Zl1
25k Miles on i… I’m going to try and shift into gear first then try reverse and see if it still grinds. I’ve started car in reverse and there is no issue. Usually I’ll just get in it and go right into reverse no problem. This was an all of a sudden thing that started happening
Jkl1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 10:41 PM   #5
Kamero6

Drives: 6th Gen LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkl1125 View Post
25k Miles on i… I’m going to try and shift into gear first then try reverse and see if it still grinds. I’ve started car in reverse and there is no issue. Usually I’ll just get in it and go right into reverse no problem. This was an all of a sudden thing that started happening
Something is probably transfering some minor power through the clutch, or pilot bearing. It's not normal but it happens.

It could be: Clutch discs with a loose rivet or grinding a little bit with pressure plates or flywheel. Discs with some rust in the shaft spline, and they are a little bit resistant to move, therefore they grind a little bit.

Also the transmission being broken in, the main shaft could be so easy to move and so loose, minimal contact of the discs or pilot bearing friction can be causing it. Most likely happens when the transmission is hot and loose.

I'd just put it in gear and immediately go in reverse as fast as possible to mitigate the problem. IMO its not worth it to even suffer the dealer experience, even if they fix it.
Kamero6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 06:01 AM   #6
nighttowl
Sarcasm loading --------

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
at 25k unless you accidently ground it hard it you shouldnt have any grinding.
How does the clutch pedel feel?
Where in the pedel travel does it engage? Is it low of high?

You could have gotten air in the slave cylinder line.
It was a real problem on the 5th gen manual cars, i havent heard so much about it on the 6th gen but certainly it can happen.

Changing the trans oil may be worth a try if the clutch is actually disengaging when the pedal is pressed. I had a twin disk carbon clutch in my 2010 and after a while it would lightly grind. Changing the trans oil every so often worked for it.

2018 MBM ZL1 1LE - Stock
2014 CRT ZL1 574 rwhp, 537 rwtq - SOLD
2010 IBM SS Camaro VVT L99 w/ TR6060 swap, 489 rwhp, 444 rwtq - SOLD
nighttowl is offline   Reply With Quote