Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-14-2018, 06:16 AM   #29
JT58

Drives: Former 2016 Camaro 1LT
The V8 will go on for quite some time. It will continue to get refined though. Until technology is there and you can get a Tesla like electric car with 400 or more HP for 40K, I don't see the conventional V8 engine going away any time soon.
Old 06-14-2018, 06:43 AM   #30
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT58 View Post
The V8 will go on for quite some time. It will continue to get refined though. Until technology is there and you can get a Tesla like electric car with 400 or more HP for 40K, I don't see the conventional V8 engine going away any time soon.
And still the shortcomings of electric cars will make them untenable for the general public. The only way electric will become acceptable is if you can charge the battery from completely dead to 100% in less than 10 minutes at any easily accessed location anywhere in the United States and a charge will run for 350-400 miles under all extreme operational conditions (air conditioning on, wipers, radio, and headlights all on, stop and go traffic, hot temps).

For this reason alone I do not forsee the internal combustion engine going anywhere for the next hundred years plus.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 07:13 AM   #31
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyRules View Post
The Chevy V8 as we know it is certainly ending in the next few years unless GM decides to maintain two V8 families ( three if you count Cadillac's V8 as its own family). Unless GM maintains an OHV engine family for the trucks, the Small Block looks to be going DOHC by 2022( LT1 slated to end production in 2021).
I’m scratching my head trying to figure out which families you are talking about.

Currently there is Small Block. Assuming the Cadillac engine is its own family, what is the other one? I’m not counting Duramax diesel. Maybe that’s in your count?
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 07:23 AM   #32
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
And still the shortcomings of electric cars will make them untenable for the general public. The only way electric will become acceptable is if you can charge the battery from completely dead to 100% in less than 10 minutes at any easily accessed location anywhere in the United States and a charge will run for 350-400 miles under all extreme operational conditions (air conditioning on, wipers, radio, and headlights all on, stop and go traffic, hot temps).

For this reason alone I do not forsee the internal combustion engine going anywhere for the next hundred years plus.
There are a couple options here. Most people will get their electric “fill-up” overnight, so depending on what vehicle they have, they will start everyday with 200 - 350 miles range. Once or twice a week visits to the gas station will be gone. We underestimate how valuable this is to people. My wife is on her 2nd Chevy Volt and L-O-V-E-S that fact that she doesn’t have to stop at gas stations.

For the very few times a year where a person decides to drive beyond the battery range on a road trip, ultrafast charging technology is on the horizon that can add 200+ miles of charge in 30 - 45 minutes for cars equipped to take advantage.

The other option is PHEV. Similar situation if the battery is sized correctly. My wife’s Volt has roughly 50 miles range available every morning. She rarely drives more than 50 miles a day so she rarely burns a drop of gas.` When we need to make longer trips the car has a small ICE that gets 40+ mpg. This is already a trend in China and Europe. Only the US is lagging in use of PHEV models.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 07:34 AM   #33
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
Gas prices and mileage are two major factors that would dictate how long the V8s stick around I think. I see all electric as the inevitable future, but hybrids being the first major step as they are more attractive for longer trips. They also seem to be cheaper, but I'm making an assumption based on past pricing.

The attitude of the general population (especially in the US)is another factor as well. We're used to cheaper gas prices, have a large country where long trips are frequent, and many are used to their larger displacement vehicles for work, towing, long trips etc. They're also used to that satisfying engine sound. Electrics aren't able to satisfy those needs.....yet.

Then there's the enthusiast crowd where demand is still somewhat high. It's also easier to make big power with the V8 without as much complexity as the smaller displacements.

Yep, I believe that the internal combustion engine (and V8s) will be around for longer than anticipated in some form or the other as the demand is still there and electrics aren't a suitable substitute...yet.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 08:08 AM   #34
fastball
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
There are a couple options here. Most people will get their electric “fill-up” overnight, so depending on what vehicle they have, they will start everyday with 200 - 350 miles range. Once or twice a week visits to the gas station will be gone. We underestimate how valuable this is to people. My wife is on her 2nd Chevy Volt and L-O-V-E-S that fact that she doesn’t have to stop at gas stations.

For the very few times a year where a person decides to drive beyond the battery range on a road trip, ultrafast charging technology is on the horizon that can add 200+ miles of charge in 30 - 45 minutes for cars equipped to take advantage.

The other option is PHEV. Similar situation if the battery is sized correctly. My wife’s Volt has roughly 50 miles range available every morning. She rarely drives more than 50 miles a day so she rarely burns a drop of gas.` When we need to make longer trips the car has a small ICE that gets 40+ mpg. This is already a trend in China and Europe. Only the US is lagging in use of PHEV models.
Your wife may love the adaptation of her lifestyle but most people won’t. The greenpeace treehuggers are a minority. People drive 30-50 miles/day just to get to work and back aren’t going to want to make sure their car is charging at night. Remembering to charge it all the time? Not being able to use it if you didn’t plug it in.... electric requires a complete change in driving habits and lifestyle. We’re not China and Europe. In case you haven’t noticed.
Old 06-14-2018, 08:15 AM   #35
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullet3z View Post
Pretty sure GM has made their future intentions clear. To them, electric is the only future.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbc...amp/ncna806806
GM, good luck with that! Not everyone wants an electric car, sales for the Bolt and even the Volt are not great.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 08:31 AM   #36
dohvb1

Drives: 2018 Hot Wheels Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
Your wife may love the adaptation of her lifestyle but most people won’t. The greenpeace treehuggers are a minority. People drive 30-50 miles/day just to get to work and back aren’t going to want to make sure their car is charging at night. Remembering to charge it all the time? Not being able to use it if you didn’t plug it in.... electric requires a complete change in driving habits and lifestyle. We’re not China and Europe. In case you haven’t noticed.
So everyone who drives an electric vehicle is a greenpeace treehugger? Guess that means everyone who drives a Camaro is a Mullet sportin redneck then right.

We had a Nissan Leaf a few years ago. Did it require a huge changes in driving habits and lifestyle? No. Well there was then brain taxing task of remembering to plug in the car at night. Not to mention the complexity of said task, opening the flap, plugging in a cord, rocket science stuff. It was also a pain not needing to stop at the gas station or oil changes regularly.

Are electric vehicles for everyone at this current time? No, not at all. They have limitations that will not be suited for everyone. Is the Camaro suited for everyone? No, not at all.
dohvb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 09:17 AM   #37
fastball
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dohvb1 View Post
So everyone who drives an electric vehicle is a greenpeace treehugger? Guess that means everyone who drives a Camaro is a Mullet sportin redneck then right.

We had a Nissan Leaf a few years ago. Did it require a huge changes in driving habits and lifestyle? No. Well there was then brain taxing task of remembering to plug in the car at night. Not to mention the complexity of said task, opening the flap, plugging in a cord, rocket science stuff. It was also a pain not needing to stop at the gas station or oil changes regularly.

Are electric vehicles for everyone at this current time? No, not at all. They have limitations that will not be suited for everyone. Is the Camaro suited for everyone? No, not at all.
The Leaf has limited range. It's not suitable for someone who drives 15-20,000 miles per year (don't let that "12,000/yr average" fool you - Americans drive a lot more than that).

My stepbrother's ex had one and he laughed when it died on her on the road. It gets what, 150 miles on a charge on a good day?

150 miles is two or three days worth of driving. Talk to me when you can go a week of full, hard, real driving without having to keep the damn thing plugged in for 8 hours.

A Tesla Model S is so far the only electric car on the planet that doesn't scream "I'm saving the world" because it doesn't look like a chubby fish and it will go nose-to-nose with a Camaro SS on the track. But you still have to charge the damn thing every night.

The Camaro is suited for a hell of a lot more people than any electric car that's for sure.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:36 AM   #38
ChevyRules

Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
I’m scratching my head trying to figure out which families you are talking about.

Currently there is Small Block. Assuming the Cadillac engine is its own family, what is the other one? I’m not counting Duramax diesel. Maybe that’s in your count?

Not today, but future V8 families. I know my statement is more based on rumor than facts. So unless GM wants to maintain OHV for the trucks( its own family), then you have the DOHC V8's that would go into the C8 and I assume the 7th gen Camaro as its own family. The third would be if you count Cadillac's V8 as its own family or the C8 V8's is based off the same architecture as the Cadillac V8.

Given GM doesn't like having multiple families of the same type anymore and the volume of the trucks and SUV's would make producing DOHC V8's a bit cheaper, I could see GM going all DOHC in order to maintain one family of V8 and closing the chapter of the OHV Small Block V8.

Last edited by ChevyRules; 06-14-2018 at 09:57 AM.
ChevyRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 09:56 AM   #39
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Drives: 2016 red hot 2ss M6
The V8 is on its last legs with chevy and ford. A new dawn for Mopar though. Those Italians really love those hemis lol. The new V8 viper is slated to have several powertrain options from the new HEMI line up. Including automatic transmissions to help with sales. Also heard some rumors about a possible sharing of the new aluminum hemis within FCA. Since its italian/american muscle, would it be appropriate to call it MOB muscle?

And one other question, if I went out and snatched up a salvage 360 body, and slapped a hellcat engine in it, would it still be considered blasphemy? You know, because ferrari and dodge were related for a bit.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:03 AM   #40
danhr
BAMF SS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS A8
Send a message via AIM to danhr
We just got a new SBC redesign a few years ago. There is so much more potential left to unlock with these gen v motors, I dont see how someone can think we are at the end. The last time we got a redesign like this, back in 1997, it lasted for almost two decades.
danhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 10:07 AM   #41
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by soloknight6 View Post
The V8 is on its last legs with chevy and ford. A new dawn for Mopar though. Those Italians really love those hemis lol. The new V8 viper is slated to have several powertrain options from the new HEMI line up. Including automatic transmissions to help with sales.
Ford released an exotic flat plane crank V8 that spins to 8,250 RPMs with 526HP, upgraded the Coyote with more HP, and is about to put out a new 700+ HP supercharged V8 for the upcoming GT500. Chevy just put out a 750+ HP supercharged V8 for the ZR1, is working on new DOHC V8's to power the upcoming mid-engine 'vette in both N/A and twin turbo form (that could be north of 800HP), the Corvette team is also working on a 500 HP revision to the LT1 (perhaps LT2?), and Cadillac just released a new a new twin turbo V8 with another on the way.

If those are the last legs, they sure are a GREAT SET OF LEGS!!!
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 11:05 AM   #42
Soleil

Drives: Camaro 50th anniversary edition
The V8 will not die but I guess they will be smaller. 4.2 or 4.4L with 2 or even 4 turbocharger like BMW Mercedes and Audi. The 5.0 or 6.2 L motor is just aged and out or tolerance of the people/ government
Soleil is offline   Reply With Quote