Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-06-2017, 08:01 PM   #1
metros11

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
First week impressions

Well, I've had my 1LE for a week now, and wanted to share my impressions of the car after this first week of ownership, the good and the bad.

1. I want to drive this car everywhere, it puts a big sh!t eating grin on my face. I've yet to break 4k RPM and I'm loving this torque monster. 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th... don't matter which gear, foot to the pedal and this thing responds like a monster. Had to take my beater to work today and I missed it, winter is going to be hard to get through.

2. I absolutely wanted the active exhaust for it's 'quiet' start up option, my neighbors are real close. Truth is, there's no such thing as quiet with this car. In the morning I have to start it in the garage with all the doors closed, otherwise the whole neighborhood wakes up. Kids love it though, they run down the stairs screaming 'Camaro... Camaro!' every time this happens.

3. I didn't realize how necessary it is to have rock guards on this thing, learned that within a day. Those tires pick anything and everything off the road. On a positive end never experienced this much grip on a road car.

4. The 1 to 4 skip shift is getting a bit annoying. I get it, fuel economy, but if I want to shift to 4th I'll do it myself. And as far as the shifter goes, it's smooth going for almost every gear, but occasionally I have to force it into 1st or 2nd when downshifting or coming to a stop, and it feels really notchy, even with my foot all the way on the floor. Anyone else have this 'problem'? Anyone else start from 2nd gear?

5. I can forgive the hard plastic kneed pads that are a scratch magnet, but for a $40k car I guess I expected better fit and finish in certain spots. I have panels that don't exactly line up and my back seats pop down on their own every now and then because of the cheap plastic latch. Yeah, I know, minor complaints, but I've had cars half the cost that were better put together.

Overall I'm loving it though. Tomorrow it's going to the dealer to fix the paint chip and small gash on the outer lip of the front wheels.
metros11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 08:26 PM   #2
L99BEN

Drives: 2023 BMW M4 Competition
Sounds like you like it.

4k RPM is where the LT1 comes alive. Once broken in, put in track mode, mat it starting at 4krpm in 2nd-4th gear and hold on.

There are many skip shift eliminator options out there and wont effect warranty.
e.g. https://www.phastekperformance.com/2...ip-shift-2.htm

Stealth mode is definitely quieter than sport/track at start up but far from quiet initially.

Past:
2022 Tesla S Plaid
2020 Shelby GT500 sold
2019 Hellcat Redeye-traded for new GT500
2019 ZL1 A10 - sold (meh)
2019 Tesla M3P
2016 Hellcat Challenger - A8 sold but never forgotten
2016 Camaro 2SS M6
2014 Mustang GT A6
2012 Mustang GT M6 "brembo" 3.73/FBO
2012 Camaro SS L99 (Wife's)
- slow
L99BEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 05:33 AM   #3
jdasnt3

Drives: 18 Silverado 1500
Good review. I've had my car for 2 years this week with right around 20K on the odometer. I've never had the rear seat just open, I'd get that checked out and repaired. Also, you can get padded leather for the knee pads like the ones that came with our 2SS and in several colors.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:46 AM   #4
Gabhart

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
Pretty much agree with everything said. I have the same problem with close neighbors and out of respect I start the car with the garage door closed. I found regardless of the mode I am in when I shut the car off the cold start always sounds the same.

1st to 2nd shifts can be a little tough when the transmission is cold. Once it warms up it's fine.

I installed a skip shift eliminator at 500 miles and never looked back. It's the one "feature" of this car that was most annoying to me.
Gabhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 05:57 AM   #5
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
To start the car in stealth with NPP valves closed, you must hold down the start button (foot off brake) for 5 secs to get the “key on.”. Wait for the infotainment to boot, then set the exhaust mode to stealth in the settings. Alternately set it to stealth manually before you park and it will remember.

Any other way and it will start with NPP open and make that sweet sweet sound!
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:08 AM   #6
keon718nyc

Drives: Challenger SP Shaker/Arcadia Denali
I got loud noisy neighbors who rev their Harley's up daily and wake my ass up before my alarm goes off. I look forward to every day i start my Camaro and let them get a taste of their own medicine. Its music to my ears in track mode 24-7. Now if the neighbors had respect for others i would do the same.
keon718nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:10 AM   #7
Six.Two SC

Drives: 2018 Summit White Camaro 1SS
I wish I could have afforded a 1LE, but had to go with an '18 1SS and love it!! As far as the rock chips, I'd use Dr. Colorchip. It works really good. Try to avoid having to re-paint a panel. That could urn into a nightmare.

Added: Diode Dynamics Black LED Sidemarkers, GM Dark Finish Tailights, GM ZL1 Black 3rd Brake Light, Black Plastidipped Bowties(front/rear), AFE Dry Drop In Filter, 12mm Spacers(front/rear)

Last edited by Six.Two SC; 12-09-2017 at 07:54 AM.
Six.Two SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:41 AM   #8
Tim202

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Skip Shift:
1: Go over 19mph (I believe) and you can go into any gear you want. Skip shift works in small mph window.
2: I start in 2nd every now and then, no real difference noticed in street driving.
Tim202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:46 AM   #9
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
Stealth mode keeps the valves closed on startup (and all other times). It makes a big difference on a warm start, but for a cold start the engine is just loud so it doesn't help as much.
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 12:13 PM   #10
zx9rmal

Drives: '20 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by L99BEN View Post
4k RPM is where the LT1 comes alive. Once broken in, put in track mode, mat it starting at 4krpm in 2nd-4th gear and hold on.
Good luck OP.

I agree that the motor really wakes up at 4K, but my suggestion is to keep it in Sport mode for the noticeably better throttle response, and set the suspension, steering, and exhaust separately from the settings menu.

My preference is Sport mode overall, with suspension and exhaust set to Track. Give it a try and see if you like it.
'22 Kawasaki ZX-14R
zx9rmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 01:16 PM   #11
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
More detail on skip shift:

- The skip shift does not engage until the engine comes up to temp.
- It engages between 15-19 mph while in first gear only.
- You can shift to second before 15 and after 19 without getting the lock out regardless of if the message is flashing or not.
- If you forget and get caught in the lock out you can shift to third with no lock out if you don't want to go to fourth. Third of course will lug the engine less than fourth.

I haven't bothered with an eliminator. I just don't shift out of first until I hit 20 mph. That equals no lock out - no problem!

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 03:55 PM   #12
metros11

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
I'm likely going to buy the skip shift eliminator from Phastek and be done with it.

Anyone else have the issue with notchy 1st and 2nd gear? I'm having the dealer look at it just in case. Thinking may just need a clutch adjustment.
metros11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 04:23 PM   #13
Dustinmaro

Drives: 99 ws6 trans am, 18 ss 1le, benz sl
Hey OP. I also have an 18 1LE. I had same issue with down shifting to 1 and 2 and it feeling like it wouldn't go in but wether I have started to get used to the gearbox or as you put on miles it gets smoother. I have 1500 miles now in 3 months. It seems like the car is stronger, shifts easier and getting in out of gear feels less mechanic. Of course like most suggest change oil and rear diff at 600 to 800 miles.. car is perfect by listening to these guys on this forum.
Dustinmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 04:56 PM   #14
marknagy13
Markoon13

Drives: Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by keon718nyc View Post
I got loud noisy neighbors who rev their Harley's up daily and wake my ass up before my alarm goes off. I look forward to every day i start my Camaro and let them get a taste of their own medicine. Its music to my ears in track mode 24-7. Now if the neighbors had respect for others i would do the same.
Same here. With my catless headers and exhaust though it dwarfs their Harley sound I love it so much...