Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-14-2024, 09:05 PM   #85
SummitWhite11

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
I get my new aluminum blend door calibrated on Tuesday morning. I hope that's the end of this ordeal. I'll report back if that fixes the not-so-cold A/C or if it requires refrigerant. I think the A/C is fine, just needs to close the door completely on the heater core.

Good luck to you on that! Let me know as I have had a new heater core installed as well while they were in there. I will ask my service advisor tmw if they calibrated the blend door.

ZL1 Appearance package, Flow Master American Thunder Cat Back Exhaust w/ QUAD TIPS, K&N Typhoon CAI, Ported VMAX TB, OEM GM Brembo Brakes Package w/ Hawks Carbon Ceramic Pads, Night Owl Halo Kit (WIFI), FRONT/REAR Carbon Fiber Wrapped Bowties, Rear Oracle Blue LED Bowtie, Oracle Ghosted Painted Side LED Markers, Silver Side Faded Gills, OEM Satin Camaro Fuel Door, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Detroit Speed Engineering 1.5" Lowering Springs, Koni Orange STR.T Struts, Z28 rear LCA's, Black Magic rear 32" sway bar, 1LE front sway bar w/ DSE end links. Evil Energy Catch Can.
SummitWhite11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 07:21 PM   #86
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
All doors checked as working properly but we couldn't get it any colder than about 49.5°. So the consensus is the reefer is low. The compressor is cycling too often too. (another sign of low freon) So... the saga continues but at least I know the door works. Next appointment, next week...

Last edited by Moto-Mojo; 04-16-2024 at 07:32 PM.
Moto-Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 04:07 PM   #87
SummitWhite11

Quote:
All doors checked as working properly but we couldn't get it any colder than about 49.5°. So the consensus is the reefer is low. The compressor is cycling too often too. (another sign of low freon) So... the saga continues but at least I know the door works. Next appointment, next week...
Hope you can get that figured out. I picked up the Camaro on Monday and it was all dirty and crap from the construction going on across the street. Not only that, I couldn't wash the car for 24 hours until the new windshield adhesive cured properly. I also found that the glass guy or whoever scratched up the Kinetic Blue Hotwheels paint on my strut tower bar. I wasn't happy about it but luckily I have touch up paint in the garage. May have to give it another coat to blend in better but SHIT man.

Before I went to pick it up, I was informed that they didn't charge me for the freon which was great and my 15% off coupon towards the labor helped as well. So this left me from pursuing them for any damages to the strut tower bar.

Now here is the kicker... the old blend door they removed from my car looked good as new which left me scratching my head. No stress marks and/or cracks in it. The new aluminum blend door has been installed and is working correctly in which they calibrated. The car blows ice cold air now. I have a two year unlimited miles warranty on the work done. I will use the AC the whole summer at its MAX cold setting and see how it works out. All in all I am happy with the work done.

New heater core was installed as well as a preventive maintenance, which will help prevent the car from going back into the shop to have the dash ripped out again.

ZL1 Appearance package, Flow Master American Thunder Cat Back Exhaust w/ QUAD TIPS, K&N Typhoon CAI, Ported VMAX TB, OEM GM Brembo Brakes Package w/ Hawks Carbon Ceramic Pads, Night Owl Halo Kit (WIFI), FRONT/REAR Carbon Fiber Wrapped Bowties, Rear Oracle Blue LED Bowtie, Oracle Ghosted Painted Side LED Markers, Silver Side Faded Gills, OEM Satin Camaro Fuel Door, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Detroit Speed Engineering 1.5" Lowering Springs, Koni Orange STR.T Struts, Z28 rear LCA's, Black Magic rear 32" sway bar, 1LE front sway bar w/ DSE end links. Evil Energy Catch Can.
Old 04-17-2024, 07:45 PM   #88
SummitWhite11

Here are some pics of my original blend door for reference with 101k miles on it before the install of the aluminum blend door....
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2024, 08:33 PM   #89
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Like you stated, doesn’t look broken.
Old 04-17-2024, 08:40 PM   #90
SummitWhite11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0stones0 View Post
Like you stated, doesn’t look broken.

Which makes me curious on the number of blend door failures out there... What are the percentages and how often is this happening for the unlucky ones that had to have them replaced? Is this really hyped out a little much to make people worry more and not use their AC at Max cold settings? I know I was worried so I was cautious about it.

Old 04-17-2024, 11:52 PM   #91
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitWhite11 View Post
Hope you can get that figured out. I picked up the Camaro on Monday and it was all dirty and crap from the construction going on across the street. Not only that, I couldn't wash the car for 24 hours until the new windshield adhesive cured properly. I also found that the glass guy or whoever scratched up the Kinetic Blue Hotwheels paint on my strut tower bar. I wasn't happy about it but luckily I have touch up paint in the garage. May have to give it another coat to blend in better but SHIT man.

Before I went to pick it up, I was informed that they didn't charge me for the freon which was great and my 15% off coupon towards the labor helped as well. So this left me from pursuing them for any damages to the strut tower bar.

Now here is the kicker... the old blend door they removed from my car looked good as new which left me scratching my head. No stress marks and/or cracks in it. The new aluminum blend door has been installed and is working correctly in which they calibrated. The car blows ice cold air now. I have a two year unlimited miles warranty on the work done. I will use the AC the whole summer at its MAX cold setting and see how it works out. All in all I am happy with the work done.

New heater core was installed as well as a preventive maintenance, which will help prevent the car from going back into the shop to have the dash ripped out again.
So what was done to make the a/c cold again ?
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 12:07 AM   #92
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
So what was done to make the a/c cold again ?
He had a leak in the evaporator.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 07:40 AM   #93
Moto-Mojo

I guess my '2-piece' blend door at least left little doubt as to that being part of my problem. Mine still blows a little warmer on the pass side. My tech told me that the system, "favors the driver's side." Anyone every heard that one?

Name:  broke blend door.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  126.7 KB
Old 04-18-2024, 10:32 AM   #94
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
I guess my '2-piece' blend door at least left little doubt as to that being part of my problem. Mine still blows a little warmer on the pass side. My tech told me that the system, "favors the driver's side." Anyone every heard that one?
Never heard of that. To me, if anything it would be the opposite.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 03:38 PM   #95
SummitWhite11

Quote:

Attachment 1150033

Wow. Did you install the new aluminum blend door yourself by cutting out the side of the box or did you have a shop install it?

Old 04-18-2024, 09:07 PM   #96
Moto-Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitWhite11 View Post
Wow. Did you install the new aluminum blend door yourself by cutting out the side of the box or did you have a shop install it?
Against my better judgment and comfort zone, I couldn't bring myself to pay the crazy labor. Put it in myself with the now classic, "hack." But you won't hear me talk about what a piece of cake it was. Though I took many breaks, it was 3 days!

Pretty happy that part works according to the Snap-On scan tool.
Old 04-18-2024, 09:11 PM   #97
Moto-Mojo

I've said it before, you don't need a mighty LS 6.2 motor for real torque, just the blend air door actuator motor!
Old 04-19-2024, 05:26 AM   #98
SummitWhite11

Quote:
Against my better judgment and comfort zone, I couldn't bring myself to pay the crazy labor. Put it in myself with the now classic, "hack." But you won't hear me talk about what a piece of cake it was. Though I took many breaks, it was 3 days!

Pretty happy that part works according to the Snap-On scan tool.

I would've gladly done the hack job if it that was the problem and not the evaporator.