Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Phastek Performance

Old 07-15-2018, 04:08 PM   #15
Pollock
LT4 M6

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Why not pull the lower sensor on the side to drain it.
Pollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 04:37 PM   #16
AZ_1LE

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollock View Post
Why not pull the lower sensor on the side to drain it.
This is what I did. Make it a lot easier. The fill plug is still a pain to get to with the cooling line in the way.
AZ_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:53 AM   #17
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Tip: whatever fluid you are wanting to switch to, pay attention to the specs kinematic viscosity - you do NOT want to go to anything much thicker than a Dex III ATF. Why? The syncros are NOT designed to work correctly with a thicker fluid. The only exception is if you are purely tracking the car; even then, you shouldn’t need it as the coolers do a good job at controlling temperatures.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 09:15 AM   #18
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
Tip: whatever fluid you are wanting to switch to, pay attention to the specs kinematic viscosity - you do NOT want to go to anything much thicker than a Dex III ATF. Why? The syncros are NOT designed to work correctly with a thicker fluid. The only exception is if you are purely tracking the car; even then, you shouldn’t need it as the coolers do a good job at controlling temperatures.
GM does not use ATF in their manual transmissions in the Camaro or Corvette at this time. They use a specific syncromesh manual transmission fluid.

Personally the Royal Purple Syncromax fluid works great in these transmissions, shifting feel is greatly improved over the OEM fluid especially at really low temps.
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 11:10 AM   #19
Eldi Z

Drives: 17' 1SS 1LE GBA-Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
GM does not use ATF in their manual transmissions in the Camaro or Corvette at this time. They use a specific syncromesh manual transmission fluid.

Interesting that you state this.
GM and Tremec advise to use Dexron 3 spec. ATF for our TR-6060 box.
BtW, the Vette's 2017 & up GS 7-Speed is also Tremec. Namely TR-6070.

However, good results were found with the following fluisd as well.
RP being the better "known" brand, while BG's Synchroshift2 is less known, but proved excellent results as well (Read test article - link below):

======================================

Royal Purple Synchromax

http://www.royalpurpleconsumer.com/p...mission-fluid/

BG SyncroShift 2

https://www.bgprod.com/catalog/drive...ncro-shift-ii/

Recent test

https://motoiq.com/tested-bg-syncro-shift-ii-gear-oil/

=========================================
Eldi Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 11:30 AM   #20
Whitespeed

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE & 1973 Datsun 240Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by propwashed View Post
The drain plug is hard to get to unless you remove the trans cross brace which first requires the trans to be jacked in place.
This is why the GM service manual advises to use the the transmission fluid temperature sensor, which is intended to double as a drain plug.

(Sorry, just noticed a couple of others have already suggested this)

Nigel
Whitespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:04 PM   #21
AZ_1LE

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldi Z View Post
Interesting that you state this.
GM and Tremec advise to use Dexron 3 spec. ATF for our TR-6060 box.
BtW, the Vette's 2017 & up GS 7-Speed is also Tremec. Namely TR-6070.

However, good results were found with the following fluisd as well.
RP being the better "known" brand, while BG's Synchroshift2 is less known, but proved excellent results as well (Read test article - link below):

======================================

Royal Purple Synchromax

http://www.royalpurpleconsumer.com/p...mission-fluid/

BG SyncroShift 2

https://www.bgprod.com/catalog/drive...ncro-shift-ii/

Recent test

https://motoiq.com/tested-bg-syncro-shift-ii-gear-oil/

=========================================

I have been running Amsoil since February and am very glad I did. Transmission feels 10x better than it did before, plus the fluid offers better protection during track days.
AZ_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 08:34 PM   #22
FSST_LAP

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Amsoil ATF for me. Its been better at the track for sure, I did my first 2 track days with OEM fluid and the last 3 track days with Amsoil ATF. I can say that I felt notchyness in the 3-4 gear change and ever since I changed to Amsoil ATF, no more notchyness
FSST_LAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 10:42 PM   #23
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:

Personally the Royal Purple Syncromax fluid works great in these transmissions, shifting feel is greatly improved over the OEM fluid especially at really low temps.
The GM fluid is essentially Dex III.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...8861800-a.html
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 09:03 AM   #24
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by thescreensavers View Post
Redline D4 ATF.
So far this is by far my favorite fluid in the TR6060. Very, ahem, fluid synchro engagement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
GM spec fluid per the manual.
Normally we're on the same page, but the GM OEM fluid is terrible. Very notchy synchros to the point that in cold temps (50°F and below), I often couldn't get into 2nd gear on the first try. I firmly believe I have a transmission that's on the outer edge of the statistical bell-curve for synchro engagement, FWIW. I also tried AMSoil manual synchromesh, and it helped, but like Mountain mentioned, the cST is too high for the TR6060, so it isn't nearly as good as the Redline D4 ATF.

-->TJay74: Royal Purple Synchromax and Redline D4 ATF have basically the same cST's at 40 and 100°C, FYI. 39/7.5 and 35/7.1 respectively. Also, read Tremec's datasheet for the TR-6060 (attached), they specify Dexron III ATF.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf TREMEC_TR-6060.pdf (657.6 KB, 455 views)
Old 07-19-2018, 09:47 AM   #25
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
So far this is by far my favorite fluid in the TR6060. Very, ahem, fluid synchro engagement.

Normally we're on the same page, but the GM OEM fluid is terrible. Very notchy synchros to the point that in cold temps (50°F and below), I often couldn't get into 2nd gear on the first try. I firmly believe I have a transmission that's on the outer edge of the statistical bell-curve for synchro engagement, FWIW. I also tried AMSoil manual synchromesh, and it helped, but like Mountain mentioned, the cST is too high for the TR6060, so it isn't nearly as good as the Redline D4 ATF.

-->TJay74: Royal Purple Synchromax and Redline D4 ATF have basically the same cST's at 40 and 100°C, FYI. 39/7.5 and 35/7.1 respectively. Also, read Tremec's datasheet for the TR-6060 (attached), they specify Dexron III ATF.
Thx for the info! Will give it a try next change.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:21 PM   #26
OVRKLL

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE...makes me go YeeeHaw!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_1LE View Post
I have been running Amsoil since February and am very glad I did. Transmission feels 10x better than it did before, plus the fluid offers better protection during track days.
Is this the Amsoil you use?
Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid 5W-30
Old 04-17-2019, 05:43 AM   #27
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post

When it was time for me to change the fluid I looked at the local auto parts stores and had trouble finding Dex III. Most places had Dex IV or some other synthetic type trans fluid.
I didn't see any Redline ATF anywhere but did find Royal Purple syncromax. I had tried the RP on other cars and T56 trans and felt no improvement.
Once I swapped out the fluid in the 1LE it felt like a new car.

All shifts are like butter, and the first 1-2 shift that was near impossible in the cold is smooth as could be, feels like a new trans.
Old 04-17-2019, 06:40 AM   #28
Bluecyclone

Drives: 2014 Cyclone mustang
I use BG fluids and Redline is a known racing fluid, either should be fine.