#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 08-17-2018, 11:48 PM   #15
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by collinms View Post
I'm sensing regret from people not getting the A10. I think the a10 makes the car special. There is a reason mclaren, Ferrari, and Lamborghini etc.no longer offer a manual transmission.
And there's a reason they don't offer torque converter automatics either, LOL.

To answer the original question: Are you kidding? 650 HP/TQ and a Manual trans with active rev match? It's going to be one of the most fun and engaging driving experiences you'll ever have.

It's no secret the BEST transmissions are true DCTs. They're on the way for the C8 Corvette and possibly will trickle down to the Camaro. I really would love to see what a DCT + LT4 ZL1 combo would be like.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 10:36 AM   #16
STAY IN IT

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1, M6
Regarding the fun to drive question, Absolutely!! Very smooth shifting and just as enjoyable when banging gears or normal driving as far as combination of clutch action, shifter feel, throw, etc. (when you factor out the issue with torque management from a dead stop, which is the only caveat from my perspective)

I’ve gotten over the fact that torque management has effectively eliminated the option of stop light runs in the M6. High horsepower and manual transmission has always been the combination for most fun, however in the past decade it has also translated into slowest straight line times.

I’ve had quite a few high performance vehicles over the years and the only ones that I would take out of the garage just to drive were the manuals, otherwise I would always choose to get on whatever sport bike I had at the time. I was always looking for the most engaging drive/ride. Still am, however not as concerned about the several car length difference in a straight line anymore.

You will find zero argument from me regarding the new automatic’s efficiency as far as turning the power into forward motion and I know I’m in the vast minority with my transmission preference....but it remains the manual as my choice for FUN.
STAY IN IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 07:40 AM   #17
msawyer110

Drives: 2017 ZL1
After having the M6 and making the decision a yr and a half ago i couldent be happier. If i could not change gears myself this car would have already gotten a little boring. The car is so nice it doesnt feel like a modded car at all. In touring its almost like a sedan. Couple that with having an Auto and i would have already sold it. Part of the fun of a good weekend car is gear selection and the symbiosis between you and car. An auto is way to detached for this car.
Old 08-19-2018, 07:43 AM   #18
msawyer110

Drives: 2017 ZL1
In 20 years when these cars are collected. The Manual will be the hard to find Unicorn. An Automatic is just what it says it is. Automatic driving. No thanks
Old 08-19-2018, 07:54 AM   #19
stkshft

Drives: anything with wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by STAY IN IT View Post
Regarding the fun to drive question, Absolutely!! Very smooth shifting and just as enjoyable when banging gears or normal driving as far as combination of clutch action, shifter feel, throw, etc. (when you factor out the issue with torque management from a dead stop, which is the only caveat from my perspective)

I’ve gotten over the fact that torque management has effectively eliminated the option of stop light runs in the M6. High horsepower and manual transmission has always been the combination for most fun, however in the past decade it has also translated into slowest straight line times.

I’ve had quite a few high performance vehicles over the years and the only ones that I would take out of the garage just to drive were the manuals, otherwise I would always choose to get on whatever sport bike I had at the time. I was always looking for the most engaging drive/ride. Still am, however not as concerned about the several car length difference in a straight line anymore.

You will find zero argument from me regarding the new automatic’s efficiency as far as turning the power into forward motion and I know I’m in the vast minority with my transmission preference....but it remains the manual as my choice for FUN.
This is all spot-on. There is no denying the A10 is an amazing transmission. I would have considered one if

A) I was going to use my ZL1 as a daily
B) If I had a S/O that could not drive a manual
C) I wanted to go even faster in a straight line.

None of those apply to me so manual it is! For the record, I have owned 12 cars over the past decade and only 2 of them were an automatic. It does scare me to see more and more manufacturers are switching over to automatic only. However, I think there are enough of us diehards who will continue to let our voices be heard and help keep the manuals alive.

Some of my most memorable experiences when I was kid was playing the race car arcade games that had a stick shift. I remember thinking to myself "When I grow up, I want a stick shift car." Totally living my dream these days!
stkshft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 11:10 AM   #20
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by msawyer110 View Post
After having the M6 and making the decision a yr and a half ago i couldent be happier. If i could not change gears myself this car would have already gotten a little boring. The car is so nice it doesnt feel like a modded car at all. In touring its almost like a sedan. Couple that with having an Auto and i would have already sold it. Part of the fun of a good weekend car is gear selection and the symbiosis between you and car. An auto is way to detached for this car.
I have been a manual person for 45 years, starting with a 351 Falcon I built as a teenager. And my '16 bolt on SS was an M6. Great trans and shifting. So other than a '69 GTO this is my first performance auto. I felt like you do but decided to give the A10 a try after driving one. The built in GM M6 bog pushed me over the top. It only matters if you drag race, but there it is a deal breaker for me.

All I can say is wow. I feel guilty liking the A10 so much. The auto, when hitting the performance mapping, is in no way detached. And yet it is when you are just cruising with the wife or friends. The fun mapping is just a push of the pedal away. And it has its own little whine to go with the SC. Sort of like an automatic M22 rock crusher.

Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde.
Old 08-19-2018, 11:56 AM   #21
bobby35ny

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotroost View Post
I guess coming from a cammed 5th generation with stock gears, the ZL1 is easy. Took some practice to find the sweet spot, but easy now. Just give it some gas and let the clutch out easy or practice getting it rolling at idle in a parking lot. I find the launch bog BS. Just need to practice with a beast that make 650 TQ at 4K RPM. GM is just trying to save the drive train and you can roast the tires through speeds that will cost you a trip to the local jail. Love this beast. Full disclosure: Not a drag racer but a track guy.
Can you do a video and show us how to the launch the car without bogging and get a 0-60 at 3.9 or under? Just asking because I can get the car not to bog either but the 0-60 will be a 4.1 or higher.
Old 11-12-2018, 03:41 AM   #22
Negative248

Drives: Wd1ss
M6

Traded my 2016 1ss a8 in for the zl1 m6. I was having converter issues with the auto and the a8 seemed to hunt for gears. The auto was astounding full throttle and then that was it, the manual car is more fun to drive imo, rev match is nice too.. if your looking for 1/4 mile time get the a10. But if you like rowing and downshifting on the street get the m6. I have not had the chance to drive the a10 but, had an a8 and it was great at the track and so so on the street. Be it may, these autos are great but the m6 is tried and true, I’m hoping there are no real issues with the autos but time will tell. 2018 zl1 m6, still in break in period🙁
Negative248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 04:02 AM   #23
VAZL1

Drives: 17 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotroost View Post
I guess coming from a cammed 5th generation with stock gears, the ZL1 is easy. Took some practice to find the sweet spot, but easy now. Just give it some gas and let the clutch out easy or practice getting it rolling at idle in a parking lot. I find the launch bog BS. Just need to practice with a beast that make 650 TQ at 4K RPM. GM is just trying to save the drive train and you can roast the tires through speeds that will cost you a trip to the local jail. Love this beast. Full disclosure: Not a drag racer but a track guy.
+1
Old 11-12-2018, 07:00 AM   #24
mariojmoe
Account Suspended

Drives: C7 Z06 manual, 18 Zl1 manual, etc
As stated, no way in Hell I'd buy this car in a damn automatic lol. It's a sports/muscle car and belongs with a MANual transmission lol. The A10 is faster ( barely) and is a qtr mile killer but I don't track my cars anyway and prefer rolls when having fun. There is something to be said when people glamour over these cars (random) and look inside and give a thumbs up while saying oh you got the manual too right on! As far as regret for not getting an A10 if my manual was 5-6k more I would have paid it for the manual! If it was auto only ain't no way in Hell I would have bought it.

My 2016 ctsv is an A8 (only trans available) and the damn car is so boring to me to drive, absolutely no engagement between driver and car. I could go on and on about it but it is opinion based and for me No auto no way!
mariojmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:43 AM   #25
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariojmoe View Post
As stated, no way in Hell I'd buy this car in a damn automatic lol. It's a sports/muscle car and belongs with a MANual transmission lol. The A10 is faster ( barely) and is a qtr mile killer but I don't track my cars anyway and prefer rolls when having fun. There is something to be said when people glamour over these cars (random) and look inside and give a thumbs up while saying oh you got the manual too right on! As far as regret for not getting an A10 if my manual was 5-6k more I would have paid it for the manual! If it was auto only ain't no way in Hell I would have bought it.

My 2016 ctsv is an A8 (only trans available) and the damn car is so boring to me to drive, absolutely no engagement between driver and car. I could go on and on about it but it is opinion based and for me No auto no way!
I'm right there with you...
Attached Images

Old 11-12-2018, 07:43 AM   #26
Fraxum

Op the CA6 M6 SS/ZL1 gearing is a ton of fun to drive and the gearing is no problem. And it helps with the good gas mileage you get for a fast car. The problem with the M6 is at the drag strip where the GM set up holds the car back.

All of my modern Camaros were M6 and I loved every one of them. But after driving the A10 ZL1 I bought one. There is no going back for me.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:10 AM   #27
Lethal Z
American Gearhead!!

Drives: ZL1 1LE/GT350/Ford RS/Gen 2 Raptor
Quote:
Originally Posted by collinms View Post
I'm sensing regret from people not getting the A10. I think the a10 makes the car special. There is a reason mclaren, Ferrari, and Lamborghini etc.no longer offer a manual transmission.
Because their customer base are old dudes that can't shift anymore and millennial internet tycoons that never learned....
Old 11-12-2018, 08:53 AM   #28
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethal Z View Post
Because their customer base are old dudes that can't shift anymore and millennial internet tycoons that never learned....
This old dude can still bang the gears. But I still prefer the A10 in a ZL1 after watching M6 ZL1 owners struggle to get into the 11s. The A10 is about 1/2 a second faster. GM stacked the deck against the M6es. The M6 is fun to drive and the preferred gear changer on a race track.

After owning the A10 for a while I will not go back to the manual. While I do occasionally miss the fun of shifting, being in the right gear at all times is helping me enjoy driving the ZL1 even more. And all out is just a pedal push away.