Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 08-17-2018, 02:22 PM   #15
Boost-Ed

Drives: 1995 Supra TT: 38,xxx miles.
If you are not dead set on xPel you may want to look into Suntek PPF.

On my most recent PPF film (about 1 year ago) I had Suntek Ultra installed on my daily driver and compared to xPel, which I have on my Supra and family vehicle (Murano), it was noticeably shinier and smoother.

My installer was most interested in Suntek as he was a xPel certified installed for a while (he actually quit doing PPF after getting married recently) and commented on me how much easier Suntek was to install.
Boost-Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 02:32 PM   #16
BMWM.D.

Drives: ZL1/335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost-Ed View Post

On my most recent PPF film (about 1 year ago) I had Suntek Ultra installed on my daily driver and compared to xPel, which I have on my Supra and family vehicle (Murano), it was noticeably shinier and smoother.

My installer was most interested in Suntek as he was a xPel certified installed for a while (he actually quit doing PPF after getting married recently) and commented on me how much easier Suntek was to install.
I’ve heard the same thing from very experienced installers. I have Suntek on mine.
BMWM.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 02:36 PM   #17
DANACO

Drives: 18 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost-Ed View Post

Xpel is one of if not the heaviest (thickness) films available which adds to its difficulty installing although it’s probably the best in actual protection so its a trade off. The newest xpel film is supposed to be smoother than what’s been their current offering.
DANACO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 03:34 PM   #18
kaamacat

Drives: 2018 ZL1/1LE Red
...almost forgot.... ALL FRONT LIGHTS. (No reason the installer can not imbed the patterns into whatever they cut. Its the looooong stuff that causes them to head into a 48" or 60" roll.
(The front bumper is a bit*h to work with. Anchor points and then getting the steamer to be your friend)

2018 ZL1 1LE (Red) - New Dec 2017
2015 ViperGT (Gunmetal w/Red stripes)
2013 ZR1 Anniversary
2014 ZL1 - BrightYellow, 6sp
2011 Porsche GT3RS - White w/red graphics
2009 Porsche C2S
2001 Ferrari 360
kaamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 03:36 PM   #19
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Everything outlined in red is what I have covered in film.

The white outline is what I had done behind the rear wheels during the initial install. I went back 9 months later and had the entire rear-end covered. The road dust and grime these cars throw up during normal driving is unbelievable, especially noticeable on a black car. The rear-end of my car really got scratched up pretty good without the film.

I also have two layers of a SIO2 coating over the entire car including the places with film.
Attached Images

Old 08-17-2018, 07:09 PM   #20
BMWM.D.

Drives: ZL1/335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakebt6 View Post
Thanks for the photos and suggested locations. I think my artwork is a lot worse then yours lol
No problem, haha. Here’s a real picture of the pieces they made for my quarters. The entire section below is also covered, but like I said, I got chips on both sides in almost the same spot.
Attached Images

BMWM.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 09:05 PM   #21
PorkchopExpress

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 Garnet Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneredry View Post
I did the whole front clip, mirrors, rockers/splitter and the area where BMWM is pointing above the rear quarter. glad I did it.
Me too... I then did ceramic coating on the rest (they also did a few coats on the XPEL... Sounded weird, but they said the only way they recommend it).
PorkchopExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 10:30 AM   #22
MeanZL11LE

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
I don't think it was mentioned but you should definitely do the A pillars and about 8" of the leading edge on the roofline. First track day the A pillars took a beating from debris.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
MeanZL11LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 05:07 PM   #23
MoreSpeed

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue A10 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
+1 to self healing film on the whole car if you can swing it. Otherwise add full front, rockers and door handles. Maybe top of the bumper at the trunk opening.

For sure you must do the black painted and CF bits. They show everything, especially the rockers. The clear coat is soft and thin, so not having to worry at all about swirls is a huge plus.

After the film, adding a top-shelf durable hydrophobic coating (Gtechniq EXO) to the car will make cleaning a LOT easier.
This is exactly what I did... Full front, rockers up to the crease, mirrors. Works very well. Included the back bumper as well.

Sold 2010 997 GT3, 2016 WRX, 2006 997 C2S, 2003 996 C4S, 2001 Boxster S, 1997 E420 AMG
etc..
MoreSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 12:13 PM   #24
XPEL

Drives: All Makes and Models
XPEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
+1 to self healing film on the whole car if you can swing it. Otherwise add full front, rockers and door handles. Maybe top of the bumper at the trunk opening.

For sure you must do the black painted and CF bits. They show everything, especially the rockers. The clear coat is soft and thin, so not having to worry at all about swirls is a huge plus.

After the film, adding a top-shelf durable hydrophobic coating (Gtechniq EXO) to the car will make cleaning a LOT easier.
Like Gunkk mentioned in his photo,

The most common areas of protection for all Camaro's are Full Front End (Full hood, full front fenders, front bumper, headlights, and side mirrors) and rocker panel protection including behind the rear wheel.

Adding door cups and luggage piece can be beneficial as well as A-Pillar and leading roof edge protection.

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-08-20 at 12.12.03 PM.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  101.7 KB
XPEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 01:16 PM   #25
Snakebt6

Drives: Rally Green 2020 ZL1 1LE A10
Thanks,

I have an appointment for Monday the 27th.
Snakebt6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 02:40 PM   #26
MoreSpeed

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue A10 ZL1
Very important to get the carbon fiber hood insert. It scratches pretty easily without it.

Sold 2010 997 GT3, 2016 WRX, 2006 997 C2S, 2003 996 C4S, 2001 Boxster S, 1997 E420 AMG
etc..
MoreSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote