Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 08-17-2018, 10:30 PM   #1
Kenkj67

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
What brand of headers works best with the ZL1

Planning on fitting my 17 ZL1 with headers. Wondering if there is a specific brand that works best with this gem or is this another personal preference choice.

Thanks in advance for the input.
Kenkj67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 10:45 PM   #2
Cobaltct

Drives: 2018 camaro ZL1 in Nightfall Grey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenkj67 View Post
Planning on fitting my 17 ZL1 with headers. Wondering if there is a specific brand that works best with this gem or is this another personal preference choice.

Thanks in advance for the input.
Kooks
Cobaltct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 11:44 PM   #3
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
ARH (American Racing Headers) and Kooks.

ARH uses US sourced steel, they're US built, and are GM Certified, are used on cars like the COPO and carry the Chevrolet Performance name. They're built of the highest quality and have perfect fitment.

Kooks uses Chinese sourced steel, they're US built, and are also extremely high quality. They're built just as good as ARH.

Can't go wrong either way. My preference is ARH.

There are going to be many that tell you how well their $200 Headers fit, and how well their $1,000 Headers fit, as well as those who say how well their $2,000 Headers fit. Everyone's different.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 06:00 AM   #4
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
I'm going with TSP or OBX.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 06:48 AM   #5
Kenkj67

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Thanks for the info. From the beginning my interest was to go with AHR. Thought they were A GM performance part and was hoping if I had a Chevy performance dealership do the install it would help to maintain the warranty. Called GM direct and they stated that it's up to the dealership. Called a performance dealership in Lubbock Texas and not only did he say that it would void the emissions warranty, but that AHR is not a recognized GM performance part. Don't know if that guy knew what he was talking about.
Thinking about going with AHR and leaving the stock mufflers. Thoughts? Already dropped in a Rotofab CAI and after the headers going to get it on a Dyno and tuned.
All of which is why I reached out to the Forum.
Kenkj67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 07:34 AM   #6
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenkj67 View Post
Thanks for the info. From the beginning my interest was to go with AHR. Thought they were A GM performance part and was hoping if I had a Chevy performance dealership do the install it would help to maintain the warranty. Called GM direct and they stated that it's up to the dealership. Called a performance dealership in Lubbock Texas and not only did he say that it would void the emissions warranty, but that AHR is not a recognized GM performance part. Don't know if that guy knew what he was talking about.
Thinking about going with AHR and leaving the stock mufflers. Thoughts? Already dropped in a Rotofab CAI and after the headers going to get it on a Dyno and tuned.
All of which is why I reached out to the Forum.
A header install will most undoubtedly void your warranty. GM has the final word since all warranty work gets submitted to them for reimbursement. Therefore the dealership can choose to ignore it and try to hide it from GM. But there have been some cases where the vehicle manufacturer has sent a rep to investigate the claim especially if it is a rather large claim like engine work. In that case they Will discover the mods and they WILL void your warranty and stick you with the bill. The dealership can huff and puff and beat their chest and promise you this and that and the moon and stars all they want. But if it is not in writing, and if GM denies the claim, trust me, they are not going to come out of their pocket for you.

One thing to remember is that removal of any emissions equipment on a vehicle that is registered and insured and operated on the street is a federal offense. Headers remove the catalytic converters and that alone is cause for a voided warranty. Not only that but you will need the ECU tuned. The ECUs come from the factory locked so in order to tune it you will have to get it unlocked or purchase an unlocked one. In either case the dealership will know for sure since they will scan the ECU when you bring it to them. Now again, if they choose to ignore it and GM lets it slide then you're fine. But if they don't ignore it or if GM sends an investigator then you are screwed.

So I'll say this, if you're going to mod your car with anything more than a cai and/or catback and/or ported TB or anything that can be removed then you are fine. Otherwise you should go into it with the thought that your warranty is toast. Don't listen to people who will say they did this and that and the dealership is ok with it. IF they are telling the truth then good for them. But more than likely you will not have that kind of luck. Headers will void your warranty and the necessary tune will void it also. If that is an issue for you then do not mod the car.
Old 08-18-2018, 07:59 AM   #7
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
ARH has proven to be the best fit from day one on the ZL1

Kooks has had fitment issues with the steering clearance
Old 08-18-2018, 08:10 AM   #8
SJFGTO
Oh Oh it's Friday Night!

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE Nightfall Gray
ARH/Kooks. Small things like the gauge of the metal, fittament above and below, merge spikes in the collectors, etc separate top tier from the "bargain" headers. If you are planning on keeping your Camaro for any length of time, you will be glad you paid more for a top tier set of long tubes. You need to consider the primary pipe size, cats/catless, remainder of exhaust back to the tail pipes. You will need a good dyno/street tune for sure.
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE NFG; ARH 2” headers, catless mids, ARH full exhaust, Lingenfelter 18% lower pulley, ATI Harmonic Balancer, Roto-fab CAI, EE-catch can, TM ported TB, NX Lid, BMR strut tower brace. Aeroforce dual pod interceptor gauges. Tuned by Vengeance Racing!!! 644 HP @ 6250 rpm / 689 trq @ 3660 rpm

Four that wanna own me
Two that wanna stone me
One says she's a friend of mine...
SJFGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 08:47 AM   #9
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
15k miles so far on TSP headers 2000 of that was back n fourth to Cfest with 13 hours straight of driving no burned plugs, no leaks been flawless.. 599.00 vs 1200.00 to 2400.00.. I'm very impressed with the welds and how thick the material was used on the TSP's.. I just had a problem with Borla headers on the wifes SS ( Zl1 and SS share the same part #) The Stainless Steel tubing on the Borla was a lot thinner than the TSP's... Maybe it was because they were a prototype really doesn't matter they had a million mile warranty.. I had the section that separated welded back together and a new set awaits in the garage.. One thing the Borla are probably a few lbs lighter lol..

Fortunety phastek is a less than 15 miles away they have a set of OBX on there SS car, and I saw a set on the bench there as well. I listened to their shop car, it sounds dam good... They installed them and said they went on perfect no weird fitment issues or having to clearance anything.. I'd talk to Jason or Ricardo and get something from them they will give ya a honest opinion weather 2400 ARH are better than the 600 OBX or TSP's

If I was going to do the install again myself I might even go with the Black heart hookers who probably been around as long as anyone.. looking at the pick they are in 2 sections they might install in very small time with less removal of components..

I always like to use the best parts and say I spent the most money, who doesn't.. But in this instance its a real waste to pay 2400 for ARH that do the same thing.. At 600 bucks I can swap them 3x for the life of the car and still be ahead.. they are pretty dam easy to put on especially the Drivers side..

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 10:33 AM   #10
Stefano

Drives: 6th Gen NicKey Camaro & others.
Your price comparison is a bit off. Seems like your comparing a complete system to just a set of headers. Both Kooks and ARH are very good brands. For my personal ZL1, I chose American Racing headers complete system.
Stefano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 12:16 PM   #11
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDFHOBBIES View Post
15k miles so far on TSP headers 2000 of that was back n fourth to Cfest with 13 hours straight of driving no burned plugs, no leaks been flawless.. 599.00 vs 1200.00 to 2400.00.. I'm very impressed with the welds and how thick the material was used on the TSP's.. I just had a problem with Borla headers on the wifes SS ( Zl1 and SS share the same part #) The Stainless Steel tubing on the Borla was a lot thinner than the TSP's... Maybe it was because they were a prototype really doesn't matter they had a million mile warranty.. I had the section that separated welded back together and a new set awaits in the garage.. One thing the Borla are probably a few lbs lighter lol..

Fortunety phastek is a less than 15 miles away they have a set of OBX on there SS car, and I saw a set on the bench there as well. I listened to their shop car, it sounds dam good... They installed them and said they went on perfect no weird fitment issues or having to clearance anything.. I'd talk to Jason or Ricardo and get something from them they will give ya a honest opinion weather 2400 ARH are better than the 600 OBX or TSP's

If I was going to do the install again myself I might even go with the Black heart hookers who probably been around as long as anyone.. looking at the pick they are in 2 sections they might install in very small time with less removal of components..

I always like to use the best parts and say I spent the most money, who doesn't.. But in this instance its a real waste to pay 2400 for ARH that do the same thing.. At 600 bucks I can swap them 3x for the life of the car and still be ahead.. they are pretty dam easy to put on especially the Drivers side..
I'm a budget brand headers kinda guy. But if the vendors or distributors were to offer a great deal then I might just go ahead and spend the extra money for a top tier set. It would have to be a very good deal tho. Otherwise I can't justify spending twice as much. I used OBX on my 5th Gen and it was great. I spent less for the LTs and the full 3 inch catback than some other companies were charging for the LTs alone.
Old 08-18-2018, 02:10 PM   #12
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
I've only seen kooks super discounted by Maryland speed but you would probably die of old age before they showed up.. I thought one of the founders from kooks splitted and started ARH maybe a rumor.

If your going for a world record build its probably be a good decision to spend the extra money..

I know what you mean by budget.. I picked up 100 rwhp for 2100 that included the tune for sorian there is no way in hell I could of done with out TSP's headers.

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 02:12 PM   #13
unavailablezl1

Drives: 2019 Silverado Z71 6.2L A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
ARH has proven to be the best fit from day one on the ZL1

Kooks has had fitment issues with the steering clearance
If I remember right, it was the 2 inch that had the trouble. The 1 7/8's were ok

Past Rides
2017 M6 Camaro ZL1 Hyper Blue
2016 M6 GT350 White with blue strips
2014 M6 Mustang GT Premium Track Pack Ruby Red
2012 M6 M3 Melbourne Red Metallic
unavailablezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 03:24 PM   #14
ccw

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
ARH (American Racing Headers) and Kooks.

ARH uses US sourced steel, they're US built, and are GM Certified, are used on cars like the COPO and carry the Chevrolet Performance name. They're built of the highest quality and have perfect fitment.

Kooks uses Chinese sourced steel, they're US built, and are also extremely high quality. They're built just as good as ARH.

Can't go wrong either way. My preference is ARH.

There are going to be many that tell you how well their $200 Headers fit, and how well their $1,000 Headers fit, as well as those who say how well their $2,000 Headers fit. Everyone's different.
This is exactly what I was going to say.

I have the 2" ARH headers on my car, and they fit absolutely PERFECT. With them being the only company using US-sourced steel, I honestly wouldn't go with any other company regardless of the savings.
ccw is offline   Reply With Quote