Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 01-02-2018, 12:23 PM   #29
Driski

Drives: 2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klayman View Post
Yeah...my understanding is you have to remove the TCM and send it off to get hacked for the shift points on the 2017....for now anyway.

Trying to avoid any type of tune/adjustments to the computers presently hence the desire for a good disabler via the OBD port.
Have you made a decision on a disabler yet?
Old 01-02-2018, 05:56 PM   #30
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
It's interesting to read this. I had a Range that I had been using in my wife's GMC Envoy 5.3 that I tried in the Camaro last year. Got CEL's. Sent it in for the latest firmware (twice) and still CEL's. TCM problems. Plus it no longer would work in the GMC. After a while it would start slamming through the gears. Thought it would break something. It's sitting on the shelf. Maybe if they finally have it working okay I'll try again with new firmware.

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 07:29 PM   #31
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundhogSS View Post
It's interesting to read this. I had a Range that I had been using in my wife's GMC Envoy 5.3 that I tried in the Camaro last year. Got CEL's. Sent it in for the latest firmware (twice) and still CEL's. TCM problems. Plus it no longer would work in the GMC. After a while it would start slamming through the gears. Thought it would break something. It's sitting on the shelf. Maybe if they finally have it working okay I'll try again with new firmware.

That's not reassuring....

If it throws codes or causes other issues, can you get your $$ back?
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 07:39 PM   #32
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
easy there… The sky is not falling… The guys at Range are very good guys, will instantly refund your money if you call them and don’t like it. Here’s essentially what’s happened over the past two years on this forum with the range unit:
1. The guys with the 6’s and 4’s don’t get any CEL’s at all. I’ve run one for 10,000 miles and I’ve yet to see my first CEL.
2. Some SS owners get an occasional CEL, some get them pretty steadily. they are not debilitating, however they can be a cause for concern. I’m not sure currently what range will tell you on this but it’s worth talking directly to them.

The best thing to do with the disabler is make sure that it’s in place before you start the car And if you take it out, it should be with the engine off. Batteries charged up above 12.2 have eliminated some CEL’s.

Discuss all this with Adam/Steve down at Range if you still have questions.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 08:48 PM   #33
Chutzpah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
easy there… The sky is not falling… The guys at Range are very good guys, will instantly refund your money if you call them and don’t like it. Here’s essentially what’s happened over the past two years on this forum with the range unit:
1. The guys with the 6’s and 4’s don’t get any CEL’s at all. I’ve run one for 10,000 miles and I’ve yet to see my first CEL.
2. Some SS owners get an occasional CEL, some get them pretty steadily. they are not debilitating, however they can be a cause for concern. I’m not sure currently what range will tell you on this but it’s worth talking directly to them.

The best thing to do with the disabler is make sure that it’s in place before you start the car And if you take it out, it should be with the engine off. Batteries charged up above 12.2 have eliminated some CEL’s.

All good info, thank you.
Old 01-02-2018, 09:09 PM   #34
HyperBlue16

Drives: 2016 Camaro RS
I have a v-6 and it will go a week or so with no problem and then it starts to mess with the car. Engine will high rev or rough idle and when i pull the AMF disabler out it will run fine, put AMF disabler back in after i get rid of engine light from a few engine start & stops, it will go fine for a days or a week and then it messes with the engine again. Leave out and go months with no issues, stick back in and it will do it again.
HyperBlue16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 09:28 PM   #35
Chutzpah

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperBlue16 View Post
I have a v-6 and it will go a week or so with no problem and then it starts to mess with the car. Engine will high rev or rough idle and when i pull the AMF disabler out it will run fine, put AMF disabler back in after i get rid of engine light from a few engine start & stops, it will go fine for a days or a week and then it messes with the engine again. Leave out and go months with no issues, stick back in and it will do it again.
Overall, it sounds like a mixed bag of results.

Let's hope the latest firmware clears up the issues for those of us that want to maintain our warranty...
Old 01-03-2018, 05:07 AM   #36
Driski

Drives: 2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post

Have there been any SS owners that report no problems? I have not seen any posts indicating zero problems.
Old 01-03-2018, 06:02 AM   #37
Chez

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperBlue16 View Post
Same thing happens to mine. Updated in Oct.
Old 01-03-2018, 06:28 AM   #38
Klayman

Drives: 2017 2SS A8 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
Same thing happens to mine. Updated in Oct.
I think this unit is a little heavy on the battery, that may be why issues occur after an extended plug in, especially if there is other extra electrical usage going on and/or the battery is a little weak.

I think I may get one with an OBD extension plug and unplug it after each use, especially since mine is not a daily driver.
Old 01-04-2018, 02:49 PM   #39
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
You can also get an ODB extension that has an inline switch on the power leads. Search Amazon.

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 03:06 PM   #40
driven2exceSS

Drives: 2016 2SS BLK A8 Vert
I can not report that I have had "no issues" with my A8 on the Range.... I HATE the AFM valve effect on the exhaust note. Like HyperBlue16, I just unplug and plug as needed and deal. Someday I will forego the GM warranty and tune!
NPP, MRC, Tinted side & rear reflectors, OEM ZL1 Rockers / 3rd Brake / Darken tail lights, OEM Blk rear splash guards, Satin hood wrap, Fuse pull, Sound tube delete, Cat delete, Ported 95 TB, Ported MSD IM, Dry RotoFab, ARH 1 7/8 headers, E85, "Performance Dyno" Tune, BMR "pieces", "Track" alignment, Hawk DCT-70/70's w/SRF, Goodridge lines, Ti shims, Red powdered calipers, 18" APEX SM-10's w/ Pirelli DH's, FE4 Vert swaybars, Brake cooling ducts, ATI 10% UD, Vorshlag camber plates, OEM 1LE Splitter w/APR Ext., Velossa BIG MOUTH Ram Air, CF QA1, ZLE brakes(F)
driven2exceSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 12:38 PM   #41
Klayman

Drives: 2017 2SS A8 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundhogSS View Post
You can also get an ODB extension that has an inline switch on the power leads. Search Amazon.
Another good idea!

Thanks
Old 01-05-2018, 08:18 PM   #42
HyperBlue16

Drives: 2016 Camaro RS
Range just told me today mines is a version 8.1 and they have a version 8.6 that will resolve my issues.
HyperBlue16 is offline   Reply With Quote