Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-12-2023, 10:31 AM   #1
Johnfin

Drives: 2018 ss
Tracking a car

There are so many users and topics here about tracking their cars I should be able to get an answer. I am thinking about taking my car to a track but have been reading that at least 90% of car insurance companies will NOT insure your car if you take it to a track. Google search said $200 a day is typical for a race policy. Is this true and which companies. I want to cover my bases incase I hose a $80,000 car I dont own. Whats the point of owning a 1ss and above if you have to obey the speed limits on the street. Its headed for the track.
Johnfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 10:35 AM   #2
willzilla
D3RPZILLA

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 a10
Probably need to look at something like this, https://www.hagerty.com/insurance/track-day-insurance
willzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 10:38 AM   #3
easttxss

Drives: '16 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnfin View Post
Whats the point of owning a 1ss and above if you have to obey the speed limits on the street.
We have some pretty good FM roads out here in East Texas, Texas hill country, OK, Arkansas that you don't have to break the speed limit to have a real good time on and give a pretty high pucker factor. No track needed in those areas. For you in Florida, weekend getaway or track time, yes.
'14 Fusion Titanium 2.0T
'83 Jeep Wagoneer
easttxss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 10:39 AM   #4
funked1

Drives: '23 Hyundai Kona N, '24 VW GTI
Hagerty/RLI usually has the best rate for me, but sometimes OpenTrack is lower: https://www.opentrack.com/

Check out SCCA's Track Night in America. It's very novice-friendly and the prices are great. They also get you a discount on Hagerty/RLI insurance. https://www.tracknightinamerica.com/
funked1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 12:10 PM   #5
The Chief (tm)

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS "Convertibobble"
Hey Johnfin,

I think we were involved in the thread about the windscreen for the convertible. Are you thinking of taking a convertible to the track? I haven't tried that yet; have you found that they'll let you even do it? Without a roof, in other words...
'94 ST1100 146K
The Chief (tm) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 12:11 PM   #6
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
https://ontrackinsurance.com/ is the cheapest for me and I talked with a C7 Vette driver who had a claim paid out by them to have a local Chevy dealership repair his car to like new condition after he crashed on track last year. Their price is the same for a 1, 2, or 3 day event so the price per day is better if you do 2 or 3 days and I would definitely recommend more than 1 day for your first time on track to give you some downtime to absorb and implement what's taught on the first day.

Also some regular car insurance companies will send you a non renewal letter if you even ask about track coverage even if their policy doesn't cover it so I would recommend downloading your full policy document and searching for "surface" (race surface or racing surface), "timed", "compet" (competition / competitive), and "rac" (race / racing ) as those are the usual exclusion phrases. HPDE is not racing but it does fall under the track/racing surface exclusion.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 12:34 PM   #7
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
i track around 5 to 6 times a year and never had track insurance but i also dont push my vehicle or myself to 100% ive looked into it before track day is $200 or so plus insurance it gets super expensive
Old 06-12-2023, 12:44 PM   #8
wilbur_xmas

Drives: 2020 2SS 1LE
I've used Hagerty/Lockton/RLI. Coverage is based on value of the vehicle and deductible. Never had a claim but after all the money/time put into track prep and track fees and hotel an extra $200 is cheap insurance, literally. You may not be pushing yourself to the limit and doing anything stupid, but can you say the same about everyone else on track with you?

One thing to note is coverage typically lasts 2-3 days so the price for a track weekend is the same as for a single track day.
wilbur_xmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 12:49 PM   #9
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
I track around 5 to 6 times a year and never had track insurance but i also dont push my vehicle or myself to 100% ive looked into it before track day is $200 or so plus insurance it gets super expensive
Just curious because I don't know... I don't track my car. What happens if you are on the track (without insurance) and you accidently wreck someone else because you didn't see them or whatever? I'm honestly surprised any track would even allow you to be racing on the track without track insurance. To me that just seems like a liability issue for the track.
jamala00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 01:04 PM   #10
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
track insurance is not required and ive been to all of the socal tracks if you crash into somebody or something your required to pay but its mostly hpde i do not wheel to wheel racing so its pretty different but ive had some close calls and seen some bad crashes also...
Old 06-12-2023, 01:40 PM   #11
Christian1LE

Drives: 2004 BMW 330CI, 2022 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamala00 View Post
Just curious because I don't know... I don't track my car. What happens if you are on the track (without insurance) and you accidently wreck someone else because you didn't see them or whatever? I'm honestly surprised any track would even allow you to be racing on the track without track insurance. To me that just seems like a liability issue for the track.
Track incidents are "no fault". If someone crashes into you or you crash into someone else you're only responsible for your own car. Just part of the risk associated with going to the track. It usually doesn't happen unless you're racing though.
Christian1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 01:42 PM   #12
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
Everybody signs a waiver releasing liability before driving on track. The organization running the event might ask you to pay to repair the other driver's car if you hit it because you made a mistake before they will allow you to do another event with them but you would not technically be required to. If you damage the track surface and/or barriers the track will generally bill you for repairs and the last time I checked OpenTrack is the only HPDE insurance provider that will cover that but it costs extra for that liability option.

Car to car contact is very rare in HPDE because point bys are generally required for each pass unlike racing. Cars flipping or hitting a barrier is a more common occurrence than car to car contact but that still happens to a small % of participants for each event.

If somebody right in front of you drops oil or coolant on the track before a caution flag comes out then there might not be much you can do to avoid losing control and possibly damaging your car if you're in a turn at the time but thankfully that is a rare occurrence too.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 01:48 PM   #13
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
track insurance is not required and ive been to all of the socal tracks if you crash into somebody or something your required to pay but its mostly hpde i do not wheel to wheel racing so its pretty different but ive had some close calls and seen some bad crashes also...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian1LE View Post
Track incidents are "no fault". If someone crashes into you or you crash into someone else you're only responsible for your own car. Just part of the risk associated with going to the track. It usually doesn't happen unless you're racing though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrptrks View Post
Everybody signs a waiver releasing liability before driving on track. The organization running the event might ask you to pay to repair the other driver's car if you hit it because you made a mistake before they will allow you to do another event with them but you would not technically be required to. If you damage the track surface and/or barriers the track will generally bill you for repairs and the last time I checked OpenTrack is the only HPDE insurance provider that will cover that but it costs extra for that liability option.

Car to car contact is very rare in HPDE because point bys are generally required for each pass unlike racing. Cars flipping or hitting a barrier is a more common occurrence than car to car contact but that still happens to a small % of participants for each event.

If somebody right in front of you drops oil or coolant on the track before a caution flag comes out then there might not be much you can do to avoid losing control and possibly damaging your car if you're in a turn at the time but thankfully that is a rare occurrence too.

Gotcha..! Thx... all makes sense... Guess "If" I ever decided to track my car, I wouldn't want to risk being out of pocket for any damages, so I'd be getting the insurance.
jamala00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 02:58 PM   #14
LIS

Drives: '23 2SS1LE
As someone who wrecked a car on track, I highly recommend paying for insurance!

I had a ball joint fail on my Porsche (likely damaged by the previous owner), and hit the wall hard enough to damage almost every panel on the car. My insurance was through Lockton, and they paid out the agreed amount once they had documentation from the track that showed that the crash occured there during the covered event.
LIS is offline   Reply With Quote