Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-14-2015, 12:52 PM   #57
sherob

Drives: 2015 SW 1SS/RS 1LE
http://www.knfilters.com/warrantyletter.htm

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17325&pictureid=134228
sherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 12:56 PM   #58
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
There is one other huge aspect to the world of CAI's.......16 HP ain't worth $400! Warranty does not even matter. Enjoy the Kool Aid boys! Get yourself a catch can while they're hot!
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 12:58 PM   #59
sherob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
So since my Camaro comes with free service as part of the warranty, this means any modification voids the warranty. It's right there.
Are you purposely being an idiot?

Old 08-14-2015, 01:01 PM   #60
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
If there was no risk, why wouldn't they offer to take over the warranty in the event GM voided it?
Because there is already federal law on the matter and they don't need to hire an attorney to draw up paperwork to sell 1 intake. The "anecdotes" you need to be interested in are of anyone that has ever had their warranty voided over an intake. You will not find any because it is illegal to void a warranty simply due to the presence of an aftermarket part. IF the part you installed does cause a problem then you can not expect GM to cover that specific repair. That is when personal responsibility kicks in. Try finding an anecdote of anyone ever having had a catastrophic drivetrain failure due to an intake. Again, you won't because it just doesn't happen. You are making a mountain out of a mole hill on this.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 01:03 PM   #61
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
So since my Camaro comes with free service as part of the warranty, this means any modification voids the warranty. It's right there.
Read it again. It says they can not force you to use factory parts unless the provide them for free. Meaning they can not void the warranty for using aftermarket parts. You just proved our point, not yours.
Old 08-14-2015, 01:04 PM   #62
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
No need for name calling. Feel free to highlight the part where it says a CAI is totally cool to install without risk of voiding warranty. Preferably in a GM document, not one from a 3rd party.
Dude, the 3rd party is US Federal Law. Not Joe Snuffy.
Old 08-14-2015, 01:18 PM   #63
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
I get what you are saying but denying their parts/service is tantamount to denying the warranty.

The only way to flush out the limits of the warranty is in court, on a case by case basis. That gets expensive, time consuming, and ultimately is a loser for anyone exposed.

The fact that nobody is willing to write a guarantee is telling. If there was no risk, that guarantee would totally be a selling point. But it's not there, and that's because there is risk.

I have no doubts about the quality or performance of aftermarket CAIs, but remember, we're talking about GM here. They have a reputation.
You are totally misunderstanding what is being said. GM can not void your warranty or deny a repair simply because there is a non-GM part on your car. Hashing it out in court is not necessary because there is 40 years of case law already hashed out. What you are fearing is not a real world scenario.
Old 08-14-2015, 01:25 PM   #64
sherob

Quote:
No need for name calling. Feel free to highlight the part where it says a CAI is totally cool to install without risk of voiding warranty. Preferably in a GM document, not one from a 3rd party.
I didn't say you're an idiot, I asked if you were being one.

Warranty and free Scheduled Maintenance are two different things.

Old 08-14-2015, 01:37 PM   #65
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
If acting like an idiot means exercising caution, I guess we have a different definition of what an idiot is.
But Bobcat, the possibility of 16 HP is worth any risk and any cost. You will be like NASCAR if you have 16 more HP!

PS: Sorry everyone, just having fun on a Friday! Bobcat you know i am on your side on this one.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 02:42 PM   #66
VTSummit
Consistently inconsistent

Drives: 2015 2LT Summit White
Wow- I think the guy must be trolling.

Show me ANY part that carries a warranty that covers all related and non-related additional parts.

Searching for an anecdote on the internet to weakly support a grand assertion that is quite ridiculous and posting it here isn't proof of anything. I've seen major failures that were not covered by warranty due to abuse, improper aftermarket tuning etc. I have personally "black listed" cars. However, it's not because they used an aftermarket part- there's always more to the story. It's usually the fact the owner did something really stupid, beat the shit out of the car and wanted someone else to pay for something that was broken due to stupidity and not a defect in manufacturing.
The last one I slammed in court was an Audi where the guy started trying to tune it himself based on internet suggestions and blew the damned thing up. The last drive cycle on the car showed his rev limiter was removed, air/fuel was destructively lean, check engine light disabled, 5000+ misfires and the engine let go at 8400 rpm.
I don't use K&N because they suck, but if you had oil consumption issues and a scored cylinder with lots of silica in the oil test- that's not a defect, that's a lack of filtration.

Otherwise, you are simply paranoid and fail to understand even basic concepts of liability, warranty and the law.
2015 2LT Ported TB, Ported intake, JACFAB intake spacer, Borla exhaust, IPF 91 tune, Complete 1/LE suspension, Brembo brakes, Goodridge lines, Elite catch can, CAI with Thermo-wrap, 275/40-20 x 10's all around, Z/28 spoiler, GM splitter, Alpine/Polk stereo with AudiControl interface.
VTSummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 02:43 PM   #67
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
I disagree with your legal assessment. Are you a lawyer?
Its not a legal assessment. Its over a decade of experience on both the OEM and aftermarket side of the automotive industry and simple reading comprehension. Like I said before, there is nothing wrong with being afraid to mod your car and keep it stock but your reasoning in flawed.
Old 08-14-2015, 03:19 PM   #68
GONIF

Drives: 73 VETTE ,, 05 2500hd diesel,14 1LE
Something to think about ,
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

Mark Twain
Old 08-14-2015, 03:59 PM   #69
1KillerSS
Too much is never enough!

Drives: AGP TT SS [COTW] 4/20/15
Send a message via Skype™ to 1KillerSS
Bottom line is if the cause of the failure was the mod, then warranty will be voided. If its not then your good. I really don't see why your trolling a two month old thread.

Tell me one single case of a person who has been denied warranty work for a CAI on a 5th gen.....
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...55#post8107855
1KillerSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 04:10 PM   #70
1KillerSS
Too much is never enough!

Drives: AGP TT SS [COTW] 4/20/15
Send a message via Skype™ to 1KillerSS
Quote:
I give up. Clearly I'm in the wrong.

Good now the learning can begin.

Again, show me one single case of a person getting warranty work denied for having a CAI.
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...55#post8107855
1KillerSS is offline   Reply With Quote