Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-07-2018, 07:52 PM   #99
R3ctivision
1LE Convert

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEX1LE View Post
I had the same issue when I installed initially. The strut nut is loose you'll need to tighten it with a 3/8 impact (not too tight) and then finish it off with a torque wrench. With the car on the ground you can take the strut nuts on/off without any issues I've done it multiple times.

When tracking your car make sure to check it after every run.
Which specific tools do you use to do this with the plates on the car, given the tight clearance to the strut nut inside the plate cutout? I guess I need a pass-through 21mm socket plus a strong and very long T40 key? Although I don't think it is actually T40, anyone confirm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolynesianPowerhouse View Post
Do you have the original set of nuts or the elongated ones?
I installed the ones (elongated compared w/ factory) that came with the kit. See the attached pics.
Attached Images

R3ctivision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 07:57 PM   #100
R3ctivision
1LE Convert

FWIW, that torx bit you see in my pic snapped when we used a torque wrench on it with an open wrench holding the nut. Then we hit the nut with an impact wrench while the shock stem was free. Apparently neither approach worked for us Would like to get the "correct" solution for torquing this down without having to re-do the entire thing out of the car!
Old 02-07-2018, 08:49 PM   #101
TEX1LE

Drives: 2017 1LE - Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3ctivision View Post
FWIW, that torx bit you see in my pic snapped when we used a torque wrench on it with an open wrench holding the nut. Then we hit the nut with an impact wrench while the shock stem was free. Apparently neither approach worked for us Would like to get the "correct" solution for torquing this down without having to re-do the entire thing out of the car!
The only thing you’ll need is a deep 21mm socket. Put everything back together and torque it to spec with the car on the ground the weight of the car will hold everything in place. If you do it this way you won’t need the T40 anymore.
TEX1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 03:43 PM   #102
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Quote:
The only thing you’ll need is a deep 21mm socket. Put everything back together and torque it to spec with the car on the ground the weight of the car will hold everything in place. If you do it this way you won’t need the T40 anymore.
I saw your post about switching to red Loctite... still running that? and has it backed off since? I know you said check it after every run... but as for daily driving?

last time I used red Loctite was on the rotor bolts for the wilwood 2 piece rotors mounting em to the hats.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 06:43 AM   #103
TEX1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolynesianPowerhouse View Post
I saw your post about switching to red Loctite... still running that? and has it backed off since? I know you said check it after every run... but as for daily driving?

last time I used red Loctite was on the rotor bolts for the wilwood 2 piece rotors mounting em to the hats.
I switched to green loctite when I got the new part and it’s working pretty well but still backs off just a little after a few runs. I had blue loctite on there initially and after my second session the strut nut was loose to where I could unscrew it with my hand so I freaked out a little. I check it after each run just to play it safe and give myself a piece of mind while I’m on the track. I don’t think you’ll need to check it that often if you’re only daily driving. You’ll definitely know if it’s loose when you go over a bump it sounds like your car is falling apart lol.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:37 AM   #104
R3ctivision
1LE Convert

Quote:
Really? The shock top goes through the camber plate's spherical bearing, right? I tried turning the 21mm nut with a simple ratchet and it seemed the shock turns along with it.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:25 PM   #105
TEX1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3ctivision View Post
Really? The shock top goes through the camber plate's spherical bearing, right? I tried turning the 21mm nut with a simple ratchet and it seemed the shock turns along with it.
I use my 3/8 impact to get it started and do the final tightening with a torque wrench.