Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 10-24-2016, 04:10 PM   #15
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
Quote:
Originally Posted by MY14SS View Post
Thanks for sharing. Did you guys have access to a prototype Camaro during the intake development? PDFs are dated Feb 2015 and Camaro was not revealed to public until May 2015. If so, it does shows OEM collaboration. I guess GM performance intake related?
All we can say is that we have had more time with this platform than any other manufacturer.

Last edited by Sales @ CAI Inc; 11-01-2016 at 02:34 PM.
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 04:15 PM   #16
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian @ Weseloh Chevrolet View Post
His car went into cat overtemp mode. He was in the middle of testing like 7 different intakes and by the time he got to CAI he had already done a bunch of pulls.
Yes, Sledge tested multiple systems on an extremely hot and humid day in California. When testing on hot days, we have had the bone stock vehicle go into cat overtemp. Sledge has since apologized to the manufacturers. for his initial testing of our systems, as the results were skewed. Thanks!
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 04:18 PM   #17
TSloper

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales @ CAI Inc View Post
There are over thousand, of our systems, in the marketplace and our customers are extremely happy with our products performance, look and sound. Tsloper has been bashing us since before our product even hit the market, so why would we just send him a free system? Anyways, we feel that giving a free system away allows for biased test results. There will be real world comparative testing done soon, we are sure. Thanks!
I've not biased one single piece of data I've ever presented on this forum. The numbers are what they are. You opened your big mouth this morning and now you won't put your money where your mouth is. I don't want your system. I would not buy it. But I will take MY time to do the same testing I did with Rotofab. If your product is going to show numbers in your favor what could you possibly have to lose? PUT UP OR SHUT UP.

Tim
TSloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 04:30 PM   #18
sub_ETCS_ret

Drives: 2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSloper View Post
I've not biased one single piece of data I've ever presented on this forum. The numbers are what they are. You opened your big mouth this morning and now you won't put your money where your mouth is. I don't want your system. I would not buy it. But I will take MY time to do the same testing I did with Rotofab. If your product is going to show numbers in your favor what could you possibly have to lose? PUT UP OR SHUT UP.

Tim
My gut says that they are in bed with the manufacturer and concerned about possible outcomes of your testing.
"Submariners are a bunch of intelligent misfits that somehow seem to get along, understand each other and work well together." - overheard from a surface officer explaining to another sailor about Submariners
sub_ETCS_ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 04:37 PM   #19
Megahurtz
Snackbar Tuning

Drives: 2023 SGM ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub_ETCS_ret View Post
My gut says that they are in bed with the manufacturer and concerned about possible outcomes of your testing.
I don't think they are afraid, I just think they are under a gag order from GM. They will not even comment on the rumors that CAI is going to the be the intake offered in the GM Performance catalog. You cannot bash on CAI for this. It's common practice and they are under legal obligation.

It is my opinion that there is not going to be much of a difference in power, if any, between the Rotofab and the CAI setup(tune for tune). It's pretty obvious that CAI cannot speak freely like Rotofab and its not out of fear.
Megahurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 04:43 PM   #20
sub_ETCS_ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megahurtz View Post
I don't think they are afraid, I just think they are under a gag order from GM. They will not even comment on the rumors that CAI is going to the be the intake offered in the GM Performance catalog. You cannot bash on CAI for this. It's common practice and they are under legal obligation.

It is my opinion that there is not going to be much of a difference in power, if any, between the Rotofab and the CAI setup(tune for tune). It's pretty obvious that CAI cannot speak freely like Rotofab and its not out of fear.
I get all of that. Vendors often "sponsor" people and give their products away. If I were confident in my product I would give it away and help debunk any problems.

Also, If I were confident in my product then I would not be having a petty argument on a Camaro forum. That's what concerns me. I think there is more concern on their part that the advertised/potential performance gains are not going to show in their favor. In other words, if it gets out that their product is not good then guess what happens to their contract.

Just my 2 cents.
"Submariners are a bunch of intelligent misfits that somehow seem to get along, understand each other and work well together." - overheard from a surface officer explaining to another sailor about Submariners
Old 10-24-2016, 04:47 PM   #21
Megahurtz
Snackbar Tuning

Drives: 2023 SGM ZL1
Quote:
I get all of that. Vendors often "sponsor" people and give their products away. If I were confident in my product I would give it away and help debunk any problems.

Also, If I were confident in my product then I would not be having a petty argument on a Camaro forum. That's what concerns me. I think there is more concern on their part that the advertised/potential performance gains are not going to show in their favor. In other words, if it gets out that their product is not good then guess what happens to their contract.

Just my 2 cents.
Fortunately we will be able to see the outcome of this in time.
Megahurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 04:52 PM   #22
sub_ETCS_ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megahurtz View Post
Fortunately we will be able to see the outcome of this in time.
Totally agree. Looking forward to it.
Old 10-24-2016, 07:09 PM   #23
Hyper1SS

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue Metallic 1SS M6 NPP
For a company that had access to the Gen 6 longer than anyone else it looks like your system would have worked out of the box! Why the whistle noise? So what your saying is Roto-Fab did not have as much time as you but they seem to have put more R&D into development and theirs did not come out of the gate with a whistle and they done one better for us and got rid of that unnecessary sound enhancer tube with the delete. And if it is true that GM is using your intake that they said they would be releasing forever now with a VIN specific tune maybe that is why it still is not out because of your noise issue and that to their satisfaction it does not produce any gains. That is why I waited till all aftermarket intakes were out before I bought one. Roto-Fab had no problem releasing info and sending Tim a unit to install and test because they were confident in their product and had nothing to hide. I have used your intake and the Roto-Fab intake in the past on my 5th Gen Camaro's so it is not like I have only used one company. I went with Roto-Fab for my Gen 6 because of quality, looks and they released their information when asked. Tim you are spot on and your logging of the CAI when available to you will show why nothing is being posted. Thanks for all of your time, help and knowledge to help us make the right decisions for the best bang for our buck!!

2016 Hyper Blue Metallic 1SS M6 with body color hood vents, Silver broken 5 spoke wheels, NPP dual exhaust, Dark Night Interior Spectrum Lighting, Illuminated door sills plates.

Upgrades include: Roto-Fab intake, Mishimoto catch can, MBRP cat-back Race exhaust, TSP 1 7/8 headers, EFI E85 Flex Fuel, MRR M017 graphite wheels with Nitto N555 G2 tires, Goodridge stainless steel brake lines, Powder coated Brembo calipers, BMR suspension, Eibach sport springs, Emblempros fender badges

Order ID: TDHQMS
1100 on 01/07/2016 at Penske Chevrolet
6000 on 02/23/2016 Delivered to customer
Hyper1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 07:40 PM   #24
My87z28

Drives: 1987 Z28, 385cid, '16 Camaro 1SS
Thank you TSlopper for the work you've put into giving us unbiased information. Your write up on Roto-fab's CAI was completely unbiased. Keep it up, I look forward to reading it.

'16 1SS 6M, black with jet black interior, split spoke gray machined faced wheels, and black front/rear bowtie emblems.
My87z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 07:58 PM   #25
BlackbeastSS2

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE Shock Candy
Quote:
Yup x10
Diamond Piston & Manley Rods, Roto Fab Big Gulp
BTR Push Rods,LS7 Lifters, ARP, FI Chiller, Kirkey Seats
SJM Line Lock, Hurst Pistol Grip. 747/739 RWHP street tune - 821/794 RWHP track tune 101 octane.
2014 Mini Cooper countryman S All4 M6 daily driver
BlackbeastSS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 11:16 PM   #26
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales @ CAI Inc View Post
All we can say is that we have had more time with this platform than any other manufacture.
2.5 inches of water is the difference between stock and the CAI CAI at 350g/s ( about 430 HP). That is .09 PSI, using the standard calculation of 1 psi is about 7 percent delta in HP. That is .061 percent delta or about 3.6 HP on this engine. Not nothing, but not lots either.

Or it takes 14.7 PSI or 1 bar to produce 455 HP. 2.5 inches of water is .09 PSI Do the math the engine makes about 31 HP per PSI of air, so a pressure drop of .09 PSI is a => 2.79 HP loss.

I have owned or own both the CAI CAI and the Mishimoto. I think they are both high quality, I don't have any idea how much gains are from either. Both look and sound great. Sheer laziness keeps me from testing the Mishimoto vs a mod stock box and green filter on a dyno.... I've tuned for A/F only and turned off the rear 02s.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.

Last edited by oldman; 10-26-2016 at 01:16 PM.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote