Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-24-2016, 02:34 PM   #1
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
CAI, INC. "THE FACTS"

After much debate, some invalid information and having false accusations being thrown our way (by a competitor), we wanted to share these informative reports for those interested in the truth.

Due to our ongoing working relationship with OEM's, we are required to own the top of the line testing equipment. To be in the position to work directly with the OEMS and have such equipment, it takes a great deal of time and resources. Some manufactures don't even own a Chassis Dyno to perform quality performance testing, let alone the desire to invest in this type of equipment.

Here is some data for those that want the real story behind the CAI, INC. 2016 SS Camaro system. We urge you to ask our competitors for the same testing reports and not just data logs (we all know these can be deceiving due to uncontrollable variables).
Attached Images
File Type: pdf LT1 Camaro Stock vs CAI-HZ.pdf (2.02 MB, 178 views)
File Type: pdf LT1 Camaro Stock vs CAI-Flow.pdf (2.36 MB, 127 views)
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 03:06 PM   #2
TSloper

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Data logs are what matter. They are the real world indicator of what the entire system is doing. No one can tune a car based on anything in the two PDFs you posted.
TSloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 03:09 PM   #3
Megahurtz
Snackbar Tuning

Drives: 2023 SGM ZL1
According to what was posted it shows that the CAI intake is less restrictive than stock by the drop in pressure(vacuum) vs flow. The HZ graph seems to show that the delta of air the MAF sees stock vs CAI is no more than about -1.25g/sec. This raises a question for me though. IF the MAF is seeing slightly less air but the CAI is flowing more air into the engine, wouldn't this lean out the Air Fuel Ratio without a tune? The -1.25 grams of air per sec wouldn't cause an issue, but the extra air flow not being read by the MAF would.

Also, you mention owning a dyno. Any plans to post a dyno graph and disclose AFR's and changes to the tune(or no changes)?

I can't speak for your competitors saying anything about your product. But I am a smarter than your normal consumer and have not yet purchased any intake system. I am currently leaning towards the Roto-Fab simply because the vast amount of information that has been posted. I'm not interested in trying to argue your intake vs any other, but I would like to see more information and data before I would consider changing my current choice when I'm ready to purchase.
Megahurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 03:17 PM   #4
sub_ETCS_ret

Drives: 2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
I don't plan on buying a CAI but based on the information posted here, on Camaro6, if I were it would more likely be the Roto-Fab. Why? Because there has been real world testing by members of this forum, not just a vendor sales pitch.

Sales @ CAI - I have no dog in this fight but I don't understand why you won't provide a member of this forum with your CAI and let them do real world testing. You do realize that folks are more likely to buy it when this type of testing is done. Can you please elaborate?
"Submariners are a bunch of intelligent misfits that somehow seem to get along, understand each other and work well together." - overheard from a surface officer explaining to another sailor about Submariners
sub_ETCS_ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 03:22 PM   #5
Ian SS

Drives: 2016 1SS, 2017 JKU Wrangler
Sledge did test the CAI if I'm not mistaken but the results were skewed because the car started pulling timing and he didn't realize it.

2018 Ram Rebel 4x4 5.7
Ian SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 03:39 PM   #6
Megahurtz
Snackbar Tuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian @ Weseloh Chevrolet View Post
Sledge did test the CAI if I'm not mistaken but the results were skewed because the car started pulling timing and he didn't realize it.
Which for me raises more red flags. Why would his car start puling timing on the dyno? CAT overtemp? Lean? These are issues no one wants to deal with.

I think CAI should post its results, provide a high level of information, and then let a third party try to duplicate the results. Unfortunately, I feel like this may not happen. If the rumor that CAI is truly going to be the provider of GM's Performance Parts intake for the 2016+ SS is true, I doubt they will provide any info.
Old 10-24-2016, 03:44 PM   #7
Sales @ CAI Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSloper View Post
Data logs are what matter. They are the real world indicator of what the entire system is doing. No one can tune a car based on anything in the two PDFs you posted.
Tim,

The OEM's do it everyday. We are not going to argue with you any longer. Take it for what it's worth.
Old 10-24-2016, 03:46 PM   #8
MY14SS

Drives: pbm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales @ CAI Inc View Post
After much debate, some invalid information and having false accusations being thrown our way (by a competitor), we wanted to share these informative reports for those interested in the truth.

Due to our ongoing working relationship with OEM's, we are required to own the top of the line testing equipment. To be in the position to work directly with the OEMS and have such equipment, it takes a great deal of time and resources. Some manufactures don't even own a Chassis Dyno to perform quality performance testing, let alone the desire to invest in this type of equipment.

Here is some data for those that want the real story behind the CAI, INC. 2016 SS Camaro system. We urge you to ask our competitors for the same testing reports and not just data logs (we all know these can be deceiving due to uncontrollable variables).
Thanks for sharing. Did you guys have access to a prototype Camaro during the intake development? PDFs are dated Feb 2015 and Camaro was not revealed to public until May 2015. If so, it does shows OEM collaboration. I guess GM performance intake related?
MY14SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 03:52 PM   #9
TSloper

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales @ CAI Inc View Post
Tim,

The OEM's do it everyday. We are not going to argue with you any longer. Take it for what it's worth.
You guys started bright and early this morning. You have yet to deliver anything useful data for people. The people here don't have GM calibration tools or engineers at their disposal. What we have is HP Tuners and EFI Live. I've been sent logs with your cold air intake and the data was not in your favor. So take that for what that is worth. I will work on securing a CAI unit and show the data for it just like I did with Rotofab. The data will speak for itself.

Show a before/after AFR error vs MAF Hz to give everyone what the real picture looks like!

Tim

Last edited by TSloper; 10-24-2016 at 04:03 PM.
TSloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 03:54 PM   #10
Sales @ CAI Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megahurtz View Post
According to what was posted it shows that the CAI intake is less restrictive than stock by the drop in pressure(vacuum) vs flow. The HZ graph seems to show that the delta of air the MAF sees stock vs CAI is no more than about -1.25g/sec. This raises a question for me though. IF the MAF is seeing slightly less air but the CAI is flowing more air into the engine, wouldn't this lean out the Air Fuel Ratio without a tune? The -1.25 grams of air per sec wouldn't cause an issue, but the extra air flow not being read by the MAF would.

Also, you mention owning a dyno. Any plans to post a dyno graph and disclose AFR's and changes to the tune(or no changes)?

I can't speak for your competitors saying anything about your product. But I am a smarter than your normal consumer and have not yet purchased any intake system. I am currently leaning towards the Roto-Fab simply because the vast amount of information that has been posted. I'm not interested in trying to argue your intake vs any other, but I would like to see more information and data before I would consider changing my current choice when I'm ready to purchase.
Hi Megahurtz,

The HZ graph is showing the percent difference from stock, this means it is running within 1.25% of the stock system. This is well within the OEM requirements for variations within the stock air intake system.

There is a dynograph on our website https://www.coldairinductions.com/ch...ir-intake-762#

Thanks for your questions and I hope this helps.
Old 10-24-2016, 03:55 PM   #11
Megahurtz
Snackbar Tuning

I appreciate the clarification on a couple of the items I asked about.
Old 10-24-2016, 04:01 PM   #12
Ian SS

Drives: 2016 1SS, 2017 JKU Wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megahurtz View Post
Which for me raises more red flags. Why would his car start puling timing on the dyno? CAT overtemp? Lean? These are issues no one wants to deal with.

I think CAI should post its results, provide a high level of information, and then let a third party try to duplicate the results. Unfortunately, I feel like this may not happen. If the rumor that CAI is truly going to be the provider of GM's Performance Parts intake for the 2016+ SS is true, I doubt they will provide any info.
His car went into cat overtemp mode. He was in the middle of testing like 7 different intakes and by the time he got to CAI he had already done a bunch of pulls.

2018 Ram Rebel 4x4 5.7
Ian SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 04:05 PM   #13
Megahurtz
Snackbar Tuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian @ Weseloh Chevrolet View Post
His car went into cat overtemp mode. He was in the middle of testing like 7 different intakes and by the time he got to CAI he had already done a bunch of pulls.
7? I'm going to have to go do some research on this.
Old 10-24-2016, 04:05 PM   #14
Sales @ CAI Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub_ETCS_ret View Post
I don't plan on buying a CAI but based on the information posted here, on Camaro6, if I were it would more likely be the Roto-Fab. Why? Because there has been real world testing by members of this forum, not just a vendor sales pitch.

Sales @ CAI - I have no dog in this fight but I don't understand why you won't provide a member of this forum with your CAI and let them do real world testing. You do realize that folks are more likely to buy it when this type of testing is done. Can you please elaborate?
There are over thousand, of our systems, in the marketplace and our customers are extremely happy with our products performance, look and sound. Tsloper has been bashing us since before our product even hit the market, so why would we just send him a free system? Anyways, we feel that giving a free system away allows for biased test results. There will be real world comparative testing done soon, we are sure. Thanks!