Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Phastek Performance

Old 10-30-2017, 11:10 PM   #1
Jordonc2

Drives: Not a Camaro yet
2SS winter or all season tires

Just bought a 2SS Conv
Need to buy winter tire set up wheels and TPMS
Wonder if ther is a better way?
All season? Same rims same TPMS?
Crazy? Car is a daily driver Chicago.
Jordonc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 11:14 PM   #2
GrimReaperSS

Drives: 2001 Onyx Black/Ebony SS. 427/M6
Daily in Chicago....., separate winter wheel/tire package is the smart way to go.
GrimReaperSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 12:17 AM   #3
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimReaperSS View Post
Daily in Chicago....., separate winter wheel/tire package is the smart way to go.
This.

And why?

Because in cold, frozen and snow conditions, actual winter tires are simply way way better than all-seasons. The rubber compound on winter tires is such that you can drive on completely frozen surfaces with decent traction. Not quite as good as studded tires, but magnitudes better than all seasons.

And here's the kicker, now, instead of crappy winter performance and ok summer performance you can have real summer performance tires and only wear them down half of the year or so. I may live in a place where I have to run winter tires, but if I live in any kind of cold/snowy climate in the winter, no matter where it is, I'll always do this. It's been well worth it. As an example of the opposite, I had an WRX with summer performance tires. AWD is good on snow right? Well, with those tires it was terrible, worse than a rear wheel drive car with real winter tires. The tires make a huge difference that can't be understated. The good thing up here is that there seems to be no shortage of people selling winter tires privately and on craigslist, which means you can get some pretty good deals and there's little reason to go buy them new when you can get them for a few hundred and you are only going to run them for a few months (they don't wear down much).
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 04:30 PM   #4
BurningMan

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS / 2012 CBR1000RR
When I lived in Rochester, NY I had winter/snow tires on my Chrysler 300. A world of difference. I plan to do the same for my 2SS very soon.
BurningMan is offline   Reply With Quote