Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Phastek Performance

Old 10-03-2019, 07:58 PM   #1
BRKGBAD

Drives: my feet
Unable to get problems fixed. About to throw the towel in.

*Editing for privacy*

Last edited by BRKGBAD; 01-10-2023 at 03:10 PM. Reason: *Editing for privacy*
BRKGBAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 09:19 PM   #2
Trochoidal

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
One would ‘think’ any of your dealer visits would have lead a Master Tech to look for known issues similar to yours without the need to replicate. But they chase the dollar and refuse to look at speed sensor, wiring harness at trans, etc pro bono. Instead they follow protocol and let someone like yourself get so fed up that you want to walk away.

Your new dealer route will probably feel like a repetitive dead end. However, at some point I’m sure there’s a solution and I’d try one more time.

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Trochoidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 07:56 AM   #3
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Seems like you have a couple things at play here. It's going to be really tough for you to get any traction with a buy back or lemon case because you are not the original owner. Who knows, the original selling dealer may have swapped the buyer out of this car because of this and turned around and sold it at auction, getting more for it because it wasn't a 'buy back'. That's just a guess.

There is a certain protocol that dealers have to use in order to get the warranty claim paid. It's a trouble shooting guide. If the diagnosis guide isn't followed, GM won't have to pay the claim to the dealer. The thing about your story that gets me is that you did replicate the issue with a tech present. Then the dealer says that it needs to be a 'master' tech? Why that service manager didn't go with you, or at least have a tech with the proper certification go with you, I don't know.

The one mistake you made was using the word 'lawyer'. Once a customer uses that word, a wall goes up and the dealership as well as GM goes into CYA mode. This is why you have lost contact with that advisor. I assure you, once you said that word, in effect your conversation with her was over right then and there. When she got off the phone, her first response was not to contact the field engineer, but to contact her supervisor, who in turn contacted GM legal dept. Gotta be careful with that word, it's like throwing a hand grenade, everyone ducks for cover.

Maybe your best option is to trade out of the car, probably what the original owner did. If your relationship with this last dealer near your home was more or less positive, meaning not angry, hostile interactions, tell them that you are interested in trading for a new Camaro with the A10.

When I decided I wanted back into a Camaro SS, the first and foremost requirement I had was a manual transmission. I wanted a pre '19 car (design issues, lol) but I wanted to avoid anything with the A8 at all costs, for this very reason.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 11:03 AM   #4
BRKGBAD

*Editing for privacy*

Old 10-04-2019, 11:25 AM   #5
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
i would trade it in for a manual or a10 lol
Old 10-09-2019, 10:34 PM   #6
Kamaro223
Kamaro223

Drives: 2016 RS/LT Camaros
I've gone through the same thing. The car will never be fixed. GM is a joke. Get rid of it. Never buy GM again.
Old 10-18-2019, 02:27 PM   #7
BRKGBAD

*Editing for privacy*

Old 10-18-2019, 02:52 PM   #8
Indy_62

Drives: 2017 2SS / 2003 S10 Crew Cab
Really sorry to hear what you had to go through. Along with having serious mechanical issues your dealer experience was horrible as well. Hoping your new truck serves you well.

Indy_62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 03:45 PM   #9
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRKGBAD View Post
At this point brand means very little to me as EVERY brand/manufacturer has downsides and problematic vehicles. BMW, GM, FCA.... they all have problematic cars.

I traded the Camaro and got into a 2020 Silverado RST Z71

Big change. I'm done with sports cars for quite some time. Maybe later in life when I have the cash to outright buy a play car I'll revisit the idea.
That's a nice truck! I'm looking to buy the same truck in 2020.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 07:52 AM   #10
SmAC

Drives: 2016 2SS
I to got rid of my Camaro because of the transmission issues that I have dealt with over the entire 39 months of ownership. Tried to get myself into a 2019 10SP automatic but apparently GM doesn't want to sell Camaros. They would rather discount their trucks 10K and sell them. Anyway, I got a 2019 Blazer and the 9SP transmission is light years better than the 8SP Camaro. Couldn't be happier. Once you drive something with a proper transmission (torque converter) you suddenly realize how bad that 8SP was.
SmAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 08:22 AM   #11
grampa_ss

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmAC View Post
I to got rid of my Camaro because of the transmission issues that I have dealt with over the entire 39 months of ownership. Tried to get myself into a 2019 10SP automatic but apparently GM doesn't want to sell Camaros. They would rather discount their trucks 10K and sell them. Anyway, I got a 2019 Blazer and the 9SP transmission is light years better than the 8SP Camaro. Couldn't be happier. Once you drive something with a proper transmission (torque converter) you suddenly realize how bad that 8SP was.
We have that 9spd in our 2019 Enclave. Talk about smooth.
Old 10-23-2019, 09:15 AM   #12
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
You could of just order'd a Circle D or FTI converter and had it replaced... It sounds like the OE converter was shot.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 12:56 PM   #13
Redlinez
Shifts under load

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE rally green
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRKGBAD View Post
At this point brand means very little to me as EVERY brand/manufacturer has downsides and problematic vehicles. BMW, GM, FCA.... they all have problematic cars.

I traded the Camaro and got into a 2020 Silverado RST Z71

Big change. I'm done with sports cars for quite some time. Maybe later in life when I have the cash to outright buy a play car I'll revisit the idea.
TRUTH!!! I have been a service advisor for 21 years with Chrysler/Jeep, Ford, Volvo and now Land Rover. EVERY single brand and car line has issues. They're man made with computer help. Your story solidifies why all the cars I've owned for the most part (probably 97%) have been manuals. We just recently bought my wife Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk with the dreaded 9 speed trans. I really like it a lot, but fully know the probability of tranmission issues are real. Sorry to hear what you went through, but it's not uncommon for people to trade out of problem cars and not say anything then the next person is stuck with it.
Redlinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 12:05 PM   #14
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
The problem with this converter shudder issue is that most keep driving the car with the issue and/or have a shit dealer that keeps claiming "can not replicate problem"... so the issue persists to the point that the converter clutches are shot. The entire situation was never handled properly by GM and most dealers. The problem never should of had to been replicated by the Tech. They all know damn well there was a big issue with the stock converter in the 8l90 transmissions due to fluid retaining moisture combined with tuning that allow them to slip too much toasting the clutches.

Imho you don't program a torque converter to slip when it's locked up anyway. The 8l90 is actually a great transmission setup and tuned right. I love mine tuned, hated it stock...I would of sold the car had I not been able to tune it. It's that much of a difference.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is online now   Reply With Quote