Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-07-2019, 03:24 PM   #1
thecamaroproject246

Drives: 2016 Chevrolet Camaro RS
Supercharged LGX vs stock V8

I've been on the brink of supercharging my V6. I love the idea of taking our 3.6L V6 to take down V8's. But what holds me back is the classic argument of "just get the V8". My lgx with just a CAI and axel back exhaust can hold its own taking on RT's and 4.6 mustangs but I always get destroyed by any SS or Mustang GT with the 5.0. I'm asking for anyone who's gone the supercharged route with te V6 (doesn't have to be camaro) was it worth it?

Do you guys think supercharging the lgx can take on the newer SS? I know it'll be able to take 5th gens for sure but the new 6.2L LT1 is one hell of a machine.

My main thing is that I'm going to install it, love it of course, but will eventually cap on how far I can push the engine and eventually just regret not getting the V8.
thecamaroproject246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 04:00 PM   #2
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecamaroproject246 View Post
I've been on the brink of supercharging my V6. I love the idea of taking our 3.6L V6 to take down V8's. But what holds me back is the classic argument of "just get the V8". My lgx with just a CAI and axel back exhaust can hold its own taking on RT's and 4.6 mustangs but I always get destroyed by any SS or Mustang GT with the 5.0. I'm asking for anyone who's gone the supercharged route with te V6 (doesn't have to be camaro) was it worth it?

Do you guys think supercharging the lgx can take on the newer SS? I know it'll be able to take 5th gens for sure but the new 6.2L LT1 is one hell of a machine.

My main thing is that I'm going to install it, love it of course, but will eventually cap on how far I can push the engine and eventually just regret not getting the V8.
I'd ask, what are your ultimate goals for the car? A supercharged V6 will be fun for sure, but I'd guess there is less aftermarket support for the V6, where as the sky is the limit for the LT1. Besides, you can always supercharge a V8 too...
Old 10-07-2019, 04:02 PM   #3
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
Funny you mention this, because I saw a supercharged 6th gen V6 dyno a few months back. At about 8 psi it made 440 rwhp. I talked to the owner for a minute and he said the car was completely stock minus the blower and a custom tune. I was very impressed. Considering the average 6th gen V8 makes around 400-420 rwhp stock, and weighs 200-300 lbs more, I'm sure that V6 would take it
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 12:33 PM   #4
Dustya

Drives: Overkill Supercharged 2016 CamaroV6
I have taken the stock sealed engine to 11.0@125 MPH with Overkilled stage 2 kit 3.2 pulley Meth injection stall converter and 3.27 rear gears on E85. It was definitely a 10 second car only got about 4 runs on the new converter and I ran 102 in the 1/8th. We had a fueling issue on the Dyno and at the track which caused the demise of the motor but I rocked the same tune for over a year running @ Camaro fest and hitting the drag strip almost every other weekend.

I was definitely approaching the limits of the stock engine but you could easily build a V6 on stock engine that will hand stock V8 and mustangs Thier ass all day even mildly modified ones.

Also keep in mind there is more we have done a group buy for rods and pistons which makes those parts now available I am working on test fitment for a more boost friendly intake manifold and there is still smaller pulley water to air cooling supercharger upgrades etc...

Eventually the driveshaft and trans will be the weakest link but we know that will be in the low 10s as the 2.0t zzp ran mid to low 10s on stock drive train for a long time before going for 9s and twisting the driveshaft.

Follow me on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/hyperhawkcamaro/
Youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHR...-ilSpV3gMQnTuA

Supercharged with Overkill Superchargers http://www.v6superchargers.com
Dustya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 07:59 AM   #5
SoulCyphyr71

Drives: 2018 Chevrolet Camaro RS
I'd actually be interested in supercharging my V6 as well. The Overkill supercharger is still the most reliable out of the three available I'm assuming? The Procharger supercharger can be purchased and installed locally to me though, which is a plus.
SoulCyphyr71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 06:24 PM   #6
Street Lethal
Tech Anarchist

Drives: GM F-Body's
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecamaroproject246
I always get destroyed by any SS or Mustang GT with the 5.0.
I'm assuming you mean from a dig...

- Rob
Street Lethal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 09:32 PM   #7
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecamaroproject246 View Post

Looking at the dyno chart here, although the gain is substantial, there is no way you'll beat a stock SS even with a supercharger, all conditions equal.

Area under the curve is much bigger with the SS, as it makes at least 60-70 lb-ft more torque across the rpm range. You can rev a bit higher and do have a weight advantage, but then you will give some of that up with the blower.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 02:17 AM   #8
thecamaroproject246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Lethal View Post
I'm assuming you mean from a dig...

- Rob
Yeah from a dig, roll, or anything really. Even if I get the jump from a dig because the SS or GT spins they always eventually catch up.

I don't expect to ever win against those guys as its all in good fun and no matter how much skill you have you can't beat 400 rwhp from the V8's with 270 rwhp from the V6's.
Old 10-23-2019, 02:28 AM   #9
thecamaroproject246

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Looking at the dyno chart here, although the gain is substantial, there is no way you'll beat a stock SS even with a supercharger, all conditions equal.

Area under the curve is much bigger with the SS, as it makes at least 60-70 lb-ft more torque across the rpm range. You can rev a bit higher and do have a weight advantage, but then you will give some of that up with the blower.
Thats the same exact dyno charter I always reference as well since that's the only CARB legal super charger for the lgx at the moment. And comparing dyno charts with an SS there really is no way to beat it. The blower would take away most of the weight advantage, and my end goal isn't to build a striped out car just to compete either. At this point it does feel inevitable to just get an SS down the line. Leaning towards saving for that than pouring money into my V6 just to get barely close to what the SS offers stock from factory.

However anyone with a V6 or considering getting the V6, I don't want to discourage either. I still love my car and its still a fun car to drive with plenty of reasonable power. Just for me personally I'm reaching a cross roads of do I want to invest and spend money on mods that I might be dissatisfied with down the line, or just save that money enjoy what I have now and save up for the SS.
Old 10-23-2019, 05:35 AM   #10
Street Lethal
Tech Anarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecamaroproject246
I don't expect to ever win against those guys as its all in good fun and no matter how much skill you have you can't beat 400 rwhp from the V8's with 270 rwhp from the V6's.
That's not necessarily true as it depends on where you're making that power. As was mentioned above, better gearing out back, and a higher stall speed will make a world of a difference, especially with a tune. Couple that with a 2 step, and you will be surprised just how well you launch from a dig. Now I'm not saying that the LGX is the engine to beat, it isn't, but the engine is a high winding engine, you can't focus its' power as you would with its' pushrod variant down low, that's like bringing a tweezer to a gun fight from a dig, especially with the stock stall speed and tune. By the time you even reached that 270-RWHP in the powerband with your hands tied behind your back like that, the race would be over.

- Rob
Old 10-23-2019, 02:33 PM   #11
BOYD3800SII

Drives: 2017 RS CAMARO V6
There is so much talk about supercharging the LGX but nobody has come up with any viable ideas for turbocharging. The turbo technology currently beats supercharging in the form of efficiency. There is plenty of room in the engine bay for a single twin scroll unit. The cylinder heads don't even use a manifold and are perfectly suited for a couple of small twins. Its just odd that it has not been given much thought. Anyone willing to bet that a properly tuned and turbo LGX could exceed a stock SS?
BOYD3800SII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 03:20 PM   #12
thecamaroproject246

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOYD3800SII View Post
There is so much talk about supercharging the LGX but nobody has come up with any viable ideas for turbocharging. The turbo technology currently beats supercharging in the form of efficiency. There is plenty of room in the engine bay for a single twin scroll unit. The cylinder heads don't even use a manifold and are perfectly suited for a couple of small twins. Its just odd that it has not been given much thought. Anyone willing to bet that a properly tuned and turbo LGX could exceed a stock SS?
I think a turbo set up on a V6 would be sweet. I've seen turbo 5th gen V6's on YouTube making almost if not more than 500 hp. It comes more of the fact that it seems companies don't want to invest the time and money to develop a V6 turbo kit as V6's are the minorities in terms of going into forced induction, at least with Camaros, Mustangs, Challenger, etc. V6's, especially when the market for the V8's would probably be way more profitable. Most people eventually just get an SS and mod from there if they want to make serious power down the line.

Also most people don't have the mechanical knowledge and know how to slap a turbo on their car and make consistent (and reliable) power. But I feel like it could be done, I just don't know anyone that would know how. Sooo *clears throat* if any tuning companies want to step up and make one I'll be first in line and even throw my car into run tests if they can mange to figure it out.
Old 10-23-2019, 05:39 PM   #13
Street Lethal
Tech Anarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOYD3800SII View Post
My focus isn't even on the stock SS. My rivalry was always with the JDM crowd. The Vortec 4200 was an engine we were getting ready to support after we had our fun boosting SBC's for the last two decades, but GM pulled the plug on it too quickly. The LGX engine seems like a great alternative, but we'll see where it goes in terms of aftermarket support. I'm sure Cometic can handle the head gaskets to help drop some compression, it's just the matter of fabricating a turbo kit, which really isn't hard to do. Been there done that, quite a few times. Just need to pull the engine to see what I am working with, so far have just been using the car as a daily and enjoying it...

- Rob
Old 10-28-2019, 09:25 PM   #14
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
it's a can of worms. Once opened, you'll find yourself spending more on additional cooling, fueling, tuning, etc. It'll be more expensive than just getting an SS. But it might be just as much, or more fun, if you enjoy tinkering and don't see yourself needing LT1 levels of power.

Although to be quite honest if thats what you want to do, maybe consider an LTG. It's MUCH lighter than the V6 and responds very well to modding/tuning.
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote