Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 09-04-2016, 09:10 AM   #1
vestalsin

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS Inferno Orange
Mylink program

Hey guys i have a mylink i bought while back, i am needing to get it programmed. I know Gen5diy can do it however i am trying to save on shipping costs and wait time. Anyone know who else does it and or someone in Texas that can. Its been sitting in a box for a few months now and really want to install it. Please let me know.
Old 09-07-2016, 02:28 PM   #2
JimE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
You're concerned about wait time, and yet it's been sitting in the box for a "few months"?
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 07:41 PM   #3
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by vestalsin View Post
Hey guys i have a mylink i bought while back, i am needing to get it programmed. I know Gen5diy can do it however i am trying to save on shipping costs and wait time. Anyone know who else does it and or someone in Texas that can. Its been sitting in a box for a few months now and really want to install it. Please let me know.
Tell him its a TX thing, LOL J/K

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimE View Post
You're concerned about wait time, and yet it's been sitting in the box for a "few months"?
LOL.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 06:12 PM   #4
vestalsin

Lol, its not just the wait time but i dont feel like shelling out an extra 245 dollars to program a radio that cost me alot already. Plus the 45 dollar shipping cost. Surely Gen5diy is not the only one that knows how to do this. Just asking for input.
Old 09-08-2016, 09:19 PM   #5
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimE View Post
BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sways, LSR CM ca & tl, Sphon ExD el, GM tower brace, Megan EZ Streets, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, Havoc diffuser, IPF ECU/TRANS tuned, IPF/KPE Supercharged. 364RWHP/297RWTQ
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 07:57 AM   #6
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
I've never understood the obsession to "obtain a myLink". It's like upgrading from a Pinto to a Festiva instead of buying the Ferrari for the same money.
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 09:10 AM   #7
vestalsin

If you have info about what i am asking please let me know. Im not asking for your personal opinions and comments. Go in a chatroom if your looking to do that. Thanks.
Old 09-09-2016, 09:57 AM   #8
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by vestalsin View Post
If you have info about what i am asking please let me know. Im not asking for your personal opinions and comments. Go in a chatroom if your looking to do that. Thanks.
Absolutely I do, go see a Dealer or ship it to Gen5DIY, end of Story. The vehicle was never specifically designed to swap OEM radios, ever. You're looking for a cheap alternative than paying people for their time to do something our audio system wasn't designed to do? It doesn't exist.

Obtaining a mylink (or upgrading to one with NAV) is 100% one of the worst decisions you can make for our vehicles for the money. This isn't some random opinion, this is a fact with over 25 years experience in car audio myself and at least 4 others I know that browse this forum regularly.

You can completely gut the center console as a simple plug and play swap from the leaders in Car Audio from Kenwood, Sony, JVC, Pioneer, Soundstream, Alpine and more. 7" Screens, NAV, upgraded built in amplifier, BT, HDMI, Play movies, retain steering wheel and AC controls, door locks, remote controls for many and much more. All starting far below $1000 ($500-600 for many), and for those arguing wanting to retain the factory look, PAC just released their Camaro dash clone (PN# RPK5-GM4101) on Monday. DDMods.com has flagship Kenwood radios packaged with it for free, destroying MSRP.

Apologies if you got offended by my post, while it was indeed on the thread you started, it was a general thought about the hundreds I've seen come through this forum asking about programing the myLink.
Old 09-09-2016, 11:23 AM   #9
vestalsin

I can understand what you are saying. I am no stranger to installing radios in my car, i have done so with all of mine in the past. And i understand that you can get a radio such as those for half the cost and do so much more with them. However at the time i did not like the modified ones i had seen so i bought this. I by no means am judging someones prices on there work as i understand the time it takes ans such. But there is nothing wrong with shopping around for a better price or someone that can do it locally for me. I have heard stories about the dealership doing it but was not the same way gen5 does it. But will look into it. Either way there is nothing wrong with wanting a better price, everyone wants something for cheaper, no different than buying a part on here in the forum for half the price of getting it in the store brand new. I am not upset and not offended, but just asked a simple question and didnt need to get a lecture about it.
Old 09-09-2016, 01:14 PM   #10
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Good deal, though another reason to join your local club, they can assist in unlimited ways.
Old 09-09-2016, 02:05 PM   #11
jayno20
Go fast, please.

Drives: 2019 Corvette ZR1
With all that said, I find the Mylink to be one of the BEST STOCK in dash navigations I have ever used. I personally opted OUT of buying a ZL1 when they first came out because there was no option for the Mylink/GPS system in 2012. When they finally said you could get it I bought it. I loved the car, but for the price it needed all the equipment/technology I was used to.

So yes, the Mylink IS worth the upgrade and the other stuff said in here IS opinion just as this is MY opinion. Odds are very good you will be 100% satisfied.

I don't actually have any helpful tips on the installation or programming though... Sorry.
jayno20 is offline   Reply With Quote