Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 03-15-2024, 07:03 AM   #127
Allez

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
So for my 2016 2SS I can't find anything in the app or website for Smart Driver. Was that not available for that year? Also, my app says I'm not connected to any OnStar services, so hopefully I should be OK.
Allez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 07:14 AM   #128
Kuutr

Drives: 23 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjilslaire View Post
Checked the My Chevy app and smartdriver is still disabled
Mine was turn off and after reading the last couple of comments I checked it on the Chevy app and low and behold it was turned back on. Even had some data on it. Module is coming out!
Kuutr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 07:48 AM   #129
Spaceme1117

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS, 2011 Corvette GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT-SS1LE View Post
Is pulling the Onstar fuse sufficient to kill any communication with the car? I read in another thread that doing so disables the compass and the mic also, neither of which I care about,
I doubt it. I pulled the fuse on mine yet the the SpyStar lights on my mirror are still on. I would bet they have implemented a solution to still have power to the modules even if you pull the fuse. Engineers are smart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon Blues View Post
With my car in winter storage, I haven't used the My Chevy app at all. What I did notice this morning after reading this thread is, upon launch, the update popup in the app mentioned adding SmartDriver. I purposefully didn't say "got it" but instead clicked around without acknowledging. Not sure if that did anything but SmartDriver is still turned off in my app.
Does not matter. Government and companies will do whatever underhanded, evil crap to collect data on you and make money selling it. DO NOT TRUST GM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allez View Post
So for my 2016 2SS I can't find anything in the app or website for Smart Driver. Was that not available for that year? Also, my app says I'm not connected to any OnStar services, so hopefully I should be OK.
If your car still has the hardware in it, YOU ARE NOT OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuutr View Post
Mine was turn off and after reading the last couple of comments I checked it on the Chevy app and low and behold it was turned back on. Even had some data on it. Module is coming out!
This is the way. I removed the radio module from my car yesterday. A bit of a bitch mainly getting to the rear screws but worth it.

I also removed the SpyStar antenna from my 2011 C6 Corvette as well. Supposedly, the SpyStar hardware in the C6's are obsolete and not used anymore but I don't trust any of this stuff.

Everyone, we all need to understand that Big Government and Big Corporation wants control over all of us. This is a part of that. And AI is the next step in controlling everyone. This is all happening RIGHT NOW.
Spaceme1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 09:04 AM   #130
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshinator99 View Post
You’re way more trusting than I am lol… what an app or website does and what they actually choose to do with your data are two very different things IMO. GM has consistently proven to be incredibly untrustworthy.

Or you can just pull the radio board like @cellsafemode described in his thread. Then it’s done and over with. Took longer for me to contort myself under the passenger footwell than anything else lol! Then you can keep your Camaro.

We have a Mustang GT Premium in our stable as well and we like it a lot as well. Thankfully you can just pull a fuse to disable the Ford Pass telematics on that car.
Newer Camaro’s lose some functionality when you pull the board. They probably did that on purpose so people stop pulling the boards.

Thanks for letting me know about Ford pass. If I wind up in a mustang I will pull the fuse.

Prior:
2016 Camaro 1SS
2007 Mustang GT
2008 Civic Si
m6-lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 09:49 AM   #131
olrocker

Drives: People crazy with my sexiness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceme1117 View Post
Everyone, we all need to understand that Big Government and Big Corporation wants control over all of us. This is a part of that. And AI is the next step in controlling everyone. This is all happening RIGHT NOW.
Alan Parsons was right 40 years ago

https://youtu.be/jdyto5rf0HU?si=MTRpYnaQbazFz_a8
Sharkskin/Light gray
Moonroof/Navi/NPP/Mag Ride/Red Brake Calipers
Gray painted split spoke wheels
Illuminated footwells/illuminated bowtie
olrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 10:05 AM   #132
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Is pulling the Onstar fuse sufficient to kill any communication with the car? I read in another thread that doing so disables the compass and the mic also, neither of which I care about,
Yes to all. I’ve pulled my fuse.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 10:12 AM   #133
MT-SS1LE

Drives: 2023 SS 1LE Sharkskin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
Yes to all. I’ve pulled my fuse.
Thank you. Just to confirm, Bluetooth still works with the fuse pulled?
Old 03-15-2024, 11:28 AM   #134
Deacon Blues

Drives: 2024 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceme1117 View Post
I doubt it. I pulled the fuse on mine yet the the SpyStar lights on my mirror are still on. I would bet they have implemented a solution to still have power to the modules even if you pull the fuse. Engineers are smart.

Does not matter. Government and companies will do whatever underhanded, evil crap to collect data on you and make money selling it. DO NOT TRUST GM.

If your car still has the hardware in it, YOU ARE NOT OK.

This is the way. I removed the radio module from my car yesterday. A bit of a bitch mainly getting to the rear screws but worth it.

I also removed the SpyStar antenna from my 2011 C6 Corvette as well. Supposedly, the SpyStar hardware in the C6's are obsolete and not used anymore but I don't trust any of this stuff.

Preaching to the choir, my brother. We are all in this thread because we're concerned about it.
Deacon Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 10:57 AM   #135
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
fuse pull will kill your microphone (at least it did in 2016 models). It's been a long time since i played with the fuse method, this is the option that has collateral feature loss.

If you dont care about using the in-car microphone, then that should be all you need to do to ensure the module isn't getting power and wont work.

You could go into the module and pull just the RF board - not the entire module. This will result in no other features not working except the compass and any sort of car-sourced connectivity to the internet. You'll have to use your phone via carplay/android auto / bluetooth for everything.

this was the case for older models. I dont really believe that's changed over the years and i think proof would be needed before thinking otherwise.

Might as well also go into the overhead roof area where the rear view mirror circuit wires are and disconnect the lights there that keep that "SoS" light illuminated and all that too. No sense in those lights if you're disabling onstar.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 10:59 AM   #136
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon Blues View Post
With my car in winter storage, I haven't used the My Chevy app at all. What I did notice this morning after reading this thread is, upon launch, the update popup in the app mentioned adding SmartDriver. I purposefully didn't say "got it" but instead clicked around without acknowledging. Not sure if that did anything but SmartDriver is still turned off in my app.

the whole point to the news is that it's been confirmed that even if you as the end user are seeing xyz not enabled or turned off... GM is pulling this data anyway and selling it.

You can have no subscription and everything is opted out and it wont matter. That's what is now confirmed.

that's being done for everyone. what varies is if your insurance company is buying the data. Not all are. yet.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 11:34 AM   #137
Deacon Blues

Drives: 2024 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
the whole point to the news is that it's been confirmed that even if you as the end user are seeing xyz not enabled or turned off... GM is pulling this data anyway and selling it.

You can have no subscription and everything is opted out and it wont matter. That's what is now confirmed.

that's being done for everyone. what varies is if your insurance company is buying the data. Not all are. yet.

Yes, I understood it just fine the first time. All I was pointing out is that there was an update to the My Chevy app and that, in my case, it was still displaying it was turned off, in contrast to those here who saw it turn back on randomly.

I have zero doubt that GM is happily selling any data it can about me (and the rest of us) to the highest bidder.
Deacon Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 07:22 PM   #138
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Thank you. Just to confirm, Bluetooth still works with the fuse pulled?
Bluetooth still works, but the microphone will not. The downside is you won’t be able to speak on the phone (you’ll hear them, but they won’t hear you) or respond to texts hands free.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 08:43 AM   #139
CamaroRSOnt

Drives: 2023 SS Vert
Let the lawsuits begin... GM is going to ruin what they have left of their brand with this kind of treatment of customers

Florida Suit Says OnStar, LexisNexis Shared Driving Data with Insurers, Spiking Rates
By William Rabb | March 15, 2024

Do motorist-assistance systems like GM’s OnStar feed data to auto insurers, resulting in higher premiums for some drivers?

A south Florida man says indeed, they do, and has filed a proposed class-action lawsuit against General Motors and LexisNexis Risk Solutions, claiming his premiums shot up after “erroneous” information was illegally supplied to insurance carriers.
Romeo Chicco, of Palm Beach County, claims he never signed up for the OnStar system, which monitors driving and can alerts authorities in case of an accident. Nor did he agree to let LexisNexis share his driving data.

“Plaintiff is informed and believes that General Motors and OnStar sold and/or shared Plaintiff’s driving data without his knowledge or consent,” reads the complaint, filed in the U.S. District Court for Southern Florida. “This uncontextualized, misleading, and personal driving information on Plaintiff’s consumer disclosure harms Plaintiff’s ability to purchase car insurance. Moreover, notwithstanding the extreme frustration and dissatisfaction with the entire ordeal, these disclosures harm Plaintiff’s solitude and peace of mind.”

The suit follows reports in the New York Times and the New York Post this week that some makes of vehicles are secretly spying on drivers and affecting their insurance rates. LexisNexis officials could not be reached for comment by Insurance Journal Friday morning, and the defendants have not yet filed an answer to the March 13 complaint. A spokeswoman for GM told the Times that the manufacturer was reviewing the complaint, and noted that the OnStar privacy statement mentions that data may be shared.

Driver tracking systems have been offered by auto insurers for years, through smart phone apps or through devices placed in vehicles. But these ostensibly require consumer consent to be activated. Chicco’s attorneys argue that he purposefully avoided consenting to OnStar data sharing, yet was enrolled anyway through deceptive practices.

After several telephone calls to GM, OnStar and LexisNexis, Chicco said an OnStar representative told him that the firm has an “internal arrangement” with insurance companies. Insurers were not named in the suit.
The suit maintains that Chicco became aware of the alleged data sharing two years after he purchased a Cadillac from a Delray Beach dealer in 2021. In 2023, his longtime insurance carrier notified him that it was no longer writing in Florida. He said he then contacted several other carriers, but all of them rejected his business.

Finally, he called Liberty Mutual Insurance Co., and a representative there told him that he had been denied coverage due to information in his LexisNexis report. A local agent later helped Chicco obtain coverage, but his premium was nearly double his previous amount.

“Plaintiff would not have even bought the Cadillac vehicle to begin with had he known of this grave invasion of privacy,” the lawsuit notes.

The suit claims that GM and LexisNexis violated state and federal statutes, including the Fair Credit Reporting Act, Florida’s Deceptive and Unfair Trade Practices Act, and privacy laws.
Florida Secretary of State records show that a Romeo Chicco is a well-known businessman in Boynton Beach and head of a payroll services company.

he complaint can be seen here.
2014 C7 Z51
2020 RS Convertible
2023 2SS Convertible
CamaroRSOnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 09:09 AM   #140
MT-SS1LE

Drives: 2023 SS 1LE Sharkskin
GM's blatant abuse of customer data and invasion of privacy will hopefully cost them millions in damages. And also send a strong signal to other companies doing the same thing.