Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 07-02-2018, 06:07 PM   #1
ThomasLeT

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Anybody try an Autozone CV axle?

Well, it finally happened. Snapped the passenger CV Axle on a 1-2 shift. Need to get my car fixed quickly so I ordered an Autozone Duralast Lifetime Warranty CV for $112 bucks.

Has anybody used one of these yet? I can’t imagine it’s high quality. I figured I’d just use it for now, to get the car moving and upgrade in the future.

I’m kind of worried about how quickly this ones going to break, I’d guess that it’s going to be lower quality than the stock shaft.

Anybody have experience?
ThomasLeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:56 PM   #2
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
I have been 'in the business' for 43 years. L O N G story on CV axles. Generally speaking, the big name, national chains don't sell quality stuff. You may luck out. Because the retail price was driven to the bone by these guys, it killed it for the drivetrain people who knew how to do it right. Blah, blah. If you can find someone who still does it in house, that's a better choice.

The CV axle pretty much became the starter-alternator rebuild business. Clean, replace as few parts as possible and do an aerosol overhaul. I've been out of that segment for a while (cuz my guys just gave up trying to compete with a crappy part) but with the advent of the muscle car, you might be able to actually find someone now. Hope you do. Then share the info!

You may try "Fast Shafts" in Des Moines, IA. He's a gear head. Or Inland Empire Driveline in CA. Or...one of the sponsors here, The Driveshaft Shop. Good luck.
Old 07-03-2018, 04:29 PM   #3
ThomasLeT

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Well.... I went against my better judgment and ordered the $112 autozone cv shaft.

It’s tiny! It’s not as noticeable in the picture but the tube diameter is way smaller than the stock shaft. I think I’ll be either returning this one, or keeping it as a spare.

I just bought another factor shaft, just bummed I have to wait another week for the new shaft to get here!

Factory on top, and Autozone shaft on bottom.
ThomasLeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 05:11 PM   #4
Moto-Mojo

Hmm, hard to say what the tube wall thickness is. Diameter also adds strength. More so on high RPM standard drivelines but I think I’d go OE on this part. As I said, lots of inferior crap out there.
Old 07-03-2018, 05:17 PM   #5
LETHAL2SS

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
If I remember correctly, and it may be my GTO I'm thinking of, isn't the Right shaft a larger diameter than the left shaft from the factory on our cars? Haven't been under there in a while...
2010 Camaro 2SS-Mods: Nightfury cam, CNC ported LS3 heads, CNC ported TB, Ported Intake, RX Catch Can, MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mantic 9000 Clutch, TSP 1 7/8 headers, catless NPP, BMR trailing arms, MMR Z/28 Reps 20" gloss black. SOLD

2011 Red Jewel Tintcoat 2SS-Mods: Edlebrock E Force S/C w/ 3" pulley swap,Texas Speed roller Boost Cam 227/235, 641"/649", 114 LSA, PRC Ported Heads, Ported TB,ARH 1 7/8 headers, McLeod RST twin disk 1000 hp clutch, ZL1 Fuel Pump, 620whp
LETHAL2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 05:23 PM   #6
Moto-Mojo

As soon as I finish this beer I’m going to go look. I’m thinking that in a ‘posi’ diff they should be the same.
Old 07-03-2018, 05:24 PM   #7
LETHAL2SS

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
As soon as I finish this beer I’m going to go look. I’m thinking that in a ‘posi’ diff they should be the same.
Man, I'm still kickin back at work waiting on the clock. have another for me, I've got 2 more hours.
2010 Camaro 2SS-Mods: Nightfury cam, CNC ported LS3 heads, CNC ported TB, Ported Intake, RX Catch Can, MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mantic 9000 Clutch, TSP 1 7/8 headers, catless NPP, BMR trailing arms, MMR Z/28 Reps 20" gloss black. SOLD

2011 Red Jewel Tintcoat 2SS-Mods: Edlebrock E Force S/C w/ 3" pulley swap,Texas Speed roller Boost Cam 227/235, 641"/649", 114 LSA, PRC Ported Heads, Ported TB,ARH 1 7/8 headers, McLeod RST twin disk 1000 hp clutch, ZL1 Fuel Pump, 620whp
LETHAL2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 05:34 PM   #8
Matt8892(2)

Drives: Black camaro 2ss 45th
They are in fact two different sizes on our cars. Couldn’t tell ya which side getsbthe bigger one though. Maybe they sent op the wrong side and that’s that it’s thinner? That new part (the thinner one) looks about the size of the thinner axel on our cars
Matt8892(2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 06:28 PM   #9
DT10

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS
Ah man... good luck. I stay away from those parts because I hate doing things twice. I certainly understand having to get back on the road though.
DT10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 06:43 PM   #10
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
I'm not a big fan of those cv setups. I've only used them on other cars I had. Worst case they had a split boot and not the superior OEM once piece boot cover of thin plasticy rubber that quickly split and leaked.
The shafts are different sized because the bright engineers realized the one side had more torque trying to twist it apart than the other side. I'll spare you the physics speech this time but look at pic...

silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 07:19 PM   #11
DT10

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversleeper View Post
I'm not a big fan of those cv setups. I've only used them on other cars I had. Worst case they had a split boot and not the superior OEM once piece boot cover of thin plasticy rubber that quickly split and leaked.
The shafts are different sized because the bright engineers realized the one side had more torque trying to twist it apart than the other side. I'll spare you the physics speech this time but look at pic...

That’s just what mine does!
DT10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 08:59 AM   #12
Moto-Mojo

I almost forgot to look. Hard to see both at once on your back in the garage but it does appear the right (passenger) side has a larger diameter tube.
Old 07-04-2018, 09:00 AM   #13
TXhogghunter

Drives: GTO
you would think they would just to the big shaft on each side, what do they save $3? My 1970 scat pack v code super bee came with 7 springs on one side and 6 on the other from the factory, which I understand but 1 small shaft and 1 large?
TXhogghunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 10:06 AM   #14
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by LETHAL2SS View Post
If I remember correctly, and it may be my GTO I'm thinking of, isn't the Right shaft a larger diameter than the left shaft from the factory on our cars? Haven't been under there in a while...

Not sure about the SS, but the ZL1's do indeed have different size axles.

Larger diameter on one side but hollow, and smaller on the opposite side but solid. They engineered them this way to help minimize wheel hop.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote