Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic modifications (exterior and interior)

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-02-2017, 09:47 PM   #1
keon718nyc

Drives: Challenger SP Shaker/Arcadia Denali
Removed my 6LE Blade Spoiler and now...

Well i guess it just came down to that time where some kind of OCD has been hitting me with spoilers and the back of my car looks. I was one of the first to get the 6LE Designs Blade Spoiler for my Camaro SS. Long story short i always wanted the GM Blade Spoiler but wasn't a option at the time when i got my Camaro a year ago. The only way was to trade or get a new rear deck lid/trunk or get the hole in the deck lid from the stock SS spoiler filled/welded and painted so i can just add a few holes and install the GM Blade. There wasn't many economical choices and i jumped the gun and got something i wanted but fell out of love with LOL. Regardless this thread i just wanted to post my before and after photos of what has and going to be done. I'm about place a order for a GM Blade Spoiler, Going to drop this deck lid off at the body shop this week and get it done the way i always wanted and hoped for. I will go with Summit White even know the Gloss Black is in the back of my head. Trying to not look like a 1LE from the back which its not and just give it a unique SS look like a few others Cam's here i seen with the GM Blade. Anyhow, enjoy the ride with me!!! The 6LE Designs Spoiler was built well and looked good but just certain angles got me pushed away and looking for a more subtle low profile look. If you plan to remove the 6LE Blade spoiler end caps are easy, the middle section you are in for a horror show with even the best fishing line, heat gun, floss, adhesive remover or whatever, ruined my paint and no way really around it as the shape/design wont let you work the fishing line or anything else smoothly through it.
Attached Images

keon718nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 09:59 PM   #2
Acme

Drives: None
Your cat looks just like mine haha
Acme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 10:13 PM   #3
SC88
Twin Turbo

Drives: 2016 2SS
its funny as I've been thinking about doing the same thing lol. I had to pull the spoiler off after I found some imperfections in the paint and it was a complete pain in the ass! it's amazing how well those two strips of tape hold so well.

Good luck with your new look.
Old 01-02-2017, 10:13 PM   #4
1BlueSS

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
When I put the 6LE blade spoiler on mine, I couldn't imagine trying to get it off. Just trying to align the end caps, took a few trys to get it right, and that was a pain in the ass. I dunno what brand tape they used but it damn sure won't go no where! Haha

If you're looking for subtle I'd certainly go with white. Gloss black looks good (what I went with) but with the GM spoiler it'll be like you said, it'll start to look like your building a 1LE.

1BlueSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 11:56 PM   #5
Mikeyt03
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro 2016
I don't blame you. The 6le spoiler is massive.
Mikeyt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 07:28 AM   #6
V8Addict

http://www.rksport.com/2016-Camaro-F...p/40014005.htm

http://www.phastekperformance.com/20...6-40014005.htm

check out the rk sport spoiler in fiberglass or carbon fiber (expensive)

Last edited by V8Addict; 01-03-2017 at 07:34 AM. Reason: add
V8Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 09:37 AM   #7
keon718nyc

Thanks guys for the comments and opinions. I definitely am tired from yesterday getting that dam spoiler off was insane. I just can't believe how hard it was to remove and ruined the paint on the trunk sucked so fore warning on removing the 6LE spoiler. I am going to get a estimate on the lid paint and fill today or tomorrow so i guess regardless the paint scratches doesn't matter at this point and will have to be sanded down which was expected. I am only upset that i spent that much money on something and then regretted the look later. Life indeed and its finest LOL Also the spoiler when finally got just about off popped up off, hit me in the chin, almost hit the car, then hit the garage cement floor and broke and dinged the 6LE spoiler. Now i will have to sell it broken and cheap which wasn't my plan but the dam thing shot up towards the end of pulling it up. Man the crap hurt and bruised me pretty bad. Also the look on my wife's face when i brought the deck lid into the house was priceless!!!!!
Old 01-03-2017, 10:15 AM   #8
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
The issues from the spoiler removal are the least of your worries. Apparently you have some sort of alien life form living in your house.
Old 01-03-2017, 11:09 AM   #9
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Good for you for going for the look you want. I replaced so many things that I bought six months later because I just didn't like the way it sat. See my recent bout with three sets of wheels...lol.....Amazing to believe that the tape actually ruined the paint. They must be using the real high intensity VHB from the trim shop.

When I put on my GM blade, I pulled off a few of the tape strips so I could get the thing back off if I want to.The bolts were fine. Did the same with my front splitter. I'm not going to Daytona, I don't need bolts and tape.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 12:42 PM   #10
keon718nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
The issues from the spoiler removal are the least of your worries. Apparently you have some sort of alien life form living in your house.
Yes actually i have 2 Aliens in my house LOL, the big Alien's birthday is today he is 2 yrs old Great extraterrestrial pets indeed!!!
Attached Images

Old 01-03-2017, 12:48 PM   #11
keon718nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeDawn View Post
I wish the 6LE Spoiler was a little bigger I would maybe get it.
Not sure but you are one of the few if any i ever heard that from. The thing is as big as anyone could ask, throw a wicker bill on it and you got your wish!!
Old 01-03-2017, 08:54 PM   #12
SC88
Twin Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by keon718nyc View Post
Thanks guys for the comments and opinions. I definitely am tired from yesterday getting that dam spoiler off was insane. I just can't believe how hard it was to remove and ruined the paint on the trunk sucked so fore warning on removing the 6LE spoiler. I am going to get a estimate on the lid paint and fill today or tomorrow so i guess regardless the paint scratches doesn't matter at this point and will have to be sanded down which was expected. I am only upset that i spent that much money on something and then regretted the look later. Life indeed and its finest LOL Also the spoiler when finally got just about off popped up off, hit me in the chin, almost hit the car, then hit the garage cement floor and broke and dinged the 6LE spoiler. Now i will have to sell it broken and cheap which wasn't my plan but the dam thing shot up towards the end of pulling it up. Man the crap hurt and bruised me pretty bad. Also the look on my wife's face when i brought the deck lid into the house was priceless!!!!!
LMAO!! that same thing happened to me during install. somehow I set it and the holes weren't aligned so I had to take it off and re-align it. I was a little upset with 6LE at first because a extra $2 in nuts and washers, lock tite and some 1/4-20 all thread would make studs like the gm stuff and it wouldn't of flew off but life happens you live and learn.
Old 01-03-2017, 09:40 PM   #13
Frank237

Drives: Kubota 2640, 83 BMW R-65, 2017 1 SS
Like the cats!

The SS spoiler is one of the only things I truly HATE on the car. I thinks it's hideous.

I'd be far happier with the smaller RS package spoiler versus the ugly assed stanchion model. Lighter too.

I'm tempted to switch trunks with a hyper blue, RS owner.... who wants the stanchion model. But the OCD side of me hates to take the car away from pure stock.
Frank237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 02:54 PM   #14
keon718nyc

So just got back from my local body/paint guy and he told me about $250-$300 to weld the extra hole, Drill extra holes before they paint and install the new blade spoiler. For now i had to take off everything like the emblem and 3rd brake light, latch ect. which was pretty simple and i feel it cut the cost down. The 3rd brake light will need to be re-glued or thin 3m around it when reinstalled at the end. I am going to bring the blade spoiler when it arrives here to the shop so they can drill and fit before hand and make sure everything lines up. So far i am happy about the quote i got and it won't break the bank. So hoping within a week the blade spoiler should arrive and i can drop it off to be completed. Updates again shortly, Thank you all again for checking out this thread and your comments or any questions!!!
Attached Images