Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-01-2016, 03:22 PM   #1
blancaesq12

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Unhappy 2010 V6 Blown Engine

I would appreciate any input on this issue.

My 2010 Camaro has a blown engine and I believe it was due to excessive oil consumption. My car has about 82,000 miles and I am out of warranty by time and not mileage. I had just taken my car for an oil change on April 15th and when the car broke down the dipstick showed no oil.

I visited the service department on a last attempt to see if anything could be done since I ran out of warranty. The Service Advisor and Service Manager told me that GM might be able to help but they would have to tear down the engine first at my expense to see what was the cause. They estimated about 500$ plus the tow. I was told that I would still have to pay some money out of pocket or 50/50 if GM decides to help.

I am just disappointed with Chevy after reading all these threads about blown engines due to excessive oil consumption. If Chevy noticed it was a common issue they should have notified buyers. I paid for the extended warranty and it had to screw up after it Expired. Typical. Could it have been an error during the last oil change?

At this point, I don't know if I should take the risk or use that money to purchase a new car. I still owe 3,500 on the Camaro. It seems it is not worth it at this point. Has anyone else ever received assistance from GM? How much did you pay out of pocket? I would appreciate the input.

If I buy a new car I will have second thoughts about getting a Chevy.
blancaesq12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 03:31 PM   #2
Ledzepx

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro 6sp.
That blows! Sorry to hear about your car. With alot of Negativity towards gm. I wouldnt blame you going another route. Especially still owning money on the car.
Old 06-01-2016, 04:14 PM   #3
Soybeanrice

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
I'm assuming you don't check the oil in your engine.
Unfortunately this leaves you in the position to foot the bill as you can't prove that the place that changed your oil did it improperly before the engine broke down. Your engine isn't going to eat 6 quarts of oil in one month or you would see a lot of smoke coming out the exhaust.

Running with no oil leads to a costly repair too

I would like to add that you're probably correct in thinking the last place didn't change your oil correctly.

I don't know, maybe you can place fault on the place that changed your oil by just using the argument that an engine doesn't eat that much oil in a month

Last edited by Soybeanrice; 06-01-2016 at 04:40 PM.
Soybeanrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 04:19 PM   #4
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
How often do you check your dipstick?
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 04:36 PM   #5
Flotek

Drives: 2015 RS camaro
You must remember that is a 6 year old car and they fixed these problems with the lfx in 2012 . I would never buy a llt v6 from the early years even the v8 had early issues. Extended warranties are notorious for being poor investments and usually have so many disclaimers that they aren't worth toilet paper .
Flotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 04:50 PM   #6
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Yes, oil consumption is a problem with the manufacture of the engine. But come on man, check you oil. If you checked your oil, you would notice the consumption LOOOONG before it caused any damage to your engine. You share a greater part of the problem than you think.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 05:05 PM   #7
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
I will give the Op some sympathy because not everyone is a mechanic and you SHOULD be able to trust a place to change the oil and put back in the proper amount. But the trouble is, you can't.
Old 06-01-2016, 05:18 PM   #8
Ledzepx

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro 6sp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
I will give the Op some sympathy because not everyone is a mechanic and you SHOULD be able to trust a place to change the oil and put back in the proper amount. But the trouble is, you can't.
I agree cut him slack. Its not like he had a catch can on it.
Old 06-01-2016, 05:51 PM   #9
1Coopgt

Drives: All Black 2012 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flotek View Post
You must remember that is a 6 year old car and they fixed these problems with the lfx in 2012 . I would never buy a llt v6 from the early years even the v8 had early issues. Extended warranties are notorious for being poor investments and usually have so many disclaimers that they aren't worth toilet paper .
The 2012 lfx still consumes oil . Ask me how I know . I've added a CC and a Clean side separator to help combat the issue .
Old 06-01-2016, 05:57 PM   #10
maddoggyusa

Drives: 2013 Camaro Dusk 2SS/6
does this engine tell you when you're low on oil???

both my '04 SRX (3.6L-v6) and '04 Malibu (3.5L-v6) tell you when you are about 2 quarts low. I keep hearing there is no warning with some of these V6 Camaro engines but I find it hard to believe.

if your oil was completely gone after 1 month, something tells me the oil change screwed up or the oil dumped onto the roadway after failure.

is your car 100% stock??
maddoggyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 05:58 PM   #11
W4rMach1ne

Drives: 2011 Camaro LT1
I check my oil every change, but the LLT definitely has timing chain and oil consumption issues. Gm has issued recalls and repair notices for all the vehicles with the same engine except the camaro. If my engine does blow or timing chain goes bad I will take my business to a manufacture who stands behind their product.
W4rMach1ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 06:07 PM   #12
Kenny Camaro
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 1LT RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by W4rMach1ne View Post
I check my oil every change, but the LLT definitely has timing chain and oil consumption issues. Gm has issued recalls and repair notices for all the vehicles with the same engine except the camaro. If my engine does blow or timing chain goes bad I will take my business to a manufacture who stands behind their product.
Good luck with that
Kenny Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 06:20 PM   #13
Dimitrim
Dimitri

Drives: 68 GTO 455 Ram Air; 2014 Camaro ZL1
If it were me I would take it to a independent shop, not a GM shop, one that you trust. Have him put in a low mileage recking yard V-6 engine. Texas is full of wrecking yards. Just make sure you hear the engine run and you get some kind of a warranty. Not a turn key warranty.
Dimitrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 06:27 PM   #14
blancaesq12

Drives: 2010 Camaro
FYI
I admit I don't check my oil. "Women" Typical
blancaesq12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blown engine, oil consumption, warranty problem engine