Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-27-2018, 04:16 PM   #561
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
not Ecobeast. Haven't seen that guy. But I think I talked a guy into a ZL1 and he is coming back to teach me a driving lesson. Looking forward to that.
Old 07-25-2018, 07:58 AM   #562
Fraxum

I almost went to Atco last night.....

Got 3/4 of the way there and the rain made the road wet.

So I turned around and saved $25 and watched an interesting movie You Were Never Really Here.

But drag racing would have been more fun. This stormy July in the northeast is driving me crazy.

I think Atco stayed open though, did anyone go?
Old 08-08-2018, 08:26 AM   #563
Fraxum

I went to Atco last night.....

And the DA was +2400-2100.

Most of the requlars were not there. Except for the couple trying to squeeze another tenth out of thier red S197 M6 Coyote. So mostly I talked to these two guys from Queens. Long ride for them. They ran a BMW M5 and a 340i running low 12s and mid 12s respectively.

As for me I made 4 runs and was home in time to watch Rachel Maddow. Perfect night for me. Also I decided to try and be more consistent. Usually what happens on a good track prep night I get an ok 60' on the first run, mid 1.8s for me, and then spend the rest of night trying to beat that alternately spinning and bogging at the line.

My current run method:
  • Run in track mode
  • All nannies off
  • Go around the water
  • Back up a little to make it easy to spin the tires a little
  • Stage and load the car to about 1,500
  • Ease the first 1/4 of the throttle pedal
  • Punch it and push it through the floor until I see a win light (hopefully in my lane)
It went well!

My runs in order as the car cooled off and the DA improved slightly:
  • 11.669@122.30 1.871 60'
  • 11.649@124.46 1.874 60'
  • 11.654@124.27 1.859 60'
  • 11.653@124.17 1.845 60'
Interesting how the car picked up 2 MPH as it cooled off from the ride to Atco in plus 90 degree weather, but this had almost no effect on the ET. Urban legend has 2 MPH worth 20 HP and 2 tenths, so is that 20 HP worth 2 MPH and 2 hundreths? Beats me.

Three out of four runs were interesting. I won 2 out of three to faster cars.

The first run of the night was against a late mode Ford pickup. Wierdly he had Mickeys on the back but other wise it looked stock and was super quiet. So I languished at the line for 1/2 a second focusing on my launch. And I did out 60' him with my stock tires, LOL. But then LOL on me as he pulled me the entire 1/4! Holy cow how much HP does a 5,000+ pound truck need to run 11.447@127.74? 800+? And oddly even though the track helpers had to explain staging to him he cut a .164 light? Ringer? Good thing for me we did not have $$ on the run.

The second run was against a fully built max cube M6 Gen 5 LS3 Camaro. He did cut a .015 light to my .156 and proceeded to pull away. But on the second 1/2 of the track I unexpectedly ran him down by a fender and beat him by .0735 seconds. Exciting race! I found out later he was having trouble getting into third.

My last run was against a built LS7 C6 Z06 with huge DRs. I knew I had to be on my game this time. I beat his RT by 1/2 a second and matched his 1.8 60'. He ran 11.213@128.43 and I won by .0896 seconds! It took him the whole track to run me down and have me beat him by 1/2 a car length. Fun.

A good night at the track. the right number of runs, good conversation, fun racing, and home early.

Last edited by Fraxum; 08-08-2018 at 06:30 PM.
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 08:28 AM   #564
Fraxum

The DA started around +2200 and at 9 PM was around +1900.

I got to Atco around 5:30 and it was hot. So I decided to move over to the tower side to get out of the shade and let the Z cool off. But then I waited over there for Pat to show up and moved into the lanes which were pretty full around 7:30. I didn't want to be in the back so I moved up to the front on the next run and waited for the next one. The next one was just before 9 PM LOL. Oddly a left lane track long motorcycle spill caused a huge delay.

And that run was one of my worst ever 11.891@123.85. I didn't spin and had a high 1.8 60' so I think the car wasn't warmed up and pulled a little power. I gave up and headed home.

But it was a big CA6 ZL1 night. Big Red pulled in a crowd at the front of the lanes and I found out there was another 2018 ZL1 in the lanes. And it was an A10 Red Hot! I walked back to have a chat and he asked me about how to launch the car. He was very confused about all the modes and the settings.

I gave him my launch sequence in my previous post and explained it but he still seemed confused. I don't give people advice unless they ask, but happy to help when needed. I know at the track unsolicited advice can be very annoying but sometimes amusing.

The kid was also about to go big power on his new ZL1 but when he told me who was doing it I gave him my opinion unasked. I just hope he watches his back there. It will be interesting to see how the build turns out. But he has a lot to learn about his car first. He should do that before modding.

But also I met two more CA6 ZL1 owners who were asking me questions. A ZL1 Fest! Anyway one of them was Bill and we exchanged #s. I advised him to go on here for good help. He and his Dad were there with a real race car in slick lane #6, so I think Bill is in good hands. Maybe he will show up here.

Also I met the guy with the Ford truck who smoked me last Tuesday. The funny thing is I met him on Tuesday but he didn't tell me he was the guy I raced. He parked it after that run. Cool guy. And the lane keeper wasn't helping him, he was complaining about the stones stuck to his tires. Funny. And he doesn't have DRs. He told me his truck is running a boosted Coyote with 750+ at the wheels through the stock exhaust. What a truck breath of fresh air, a fast truck that is quiet! If I see him again I will get some pics.

Another fun night at Atco.

Last edited by Fraxum; 08-12-2018 at 10:22 AM.
Old 08-12-2018, 05:43 AM   #565
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Sounds like another fun night. Good to see that you are meeting up with other ZL1 ok owners as well.
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 06:53 AM   #566
Fraxum

Atco Street night tonight! There may be a few CA6 ZL1s there....

Edit: Another ZL1 coming!

https://atcodragway.rocks/event/street-night/

Last edited by Fraxum; 08-22-2018 at 07:18 AM.
Old 08-23-2018, 08:31 AM   #567
Fraxum

And once again the DA was over +2200 but dropped below that later.

And Bill with his new ZL1 was there @ 1,000 miles on the odo. He had asked me for launching help, but he sure didn't need any. HIs first run was an 11.8 so a good start but then his next two runs were 11.4s and then an 11.5. He also was very good at the light. This was not a new rodeo for him.

Interestingly he was faster than me. Below he had his first taste of Pat's GT. A slow run for Pat. He said not to tell anyone this was him, but a free press is so important to our country! Notice Pat spent some time at the light. He did not want to embarrass the new ZL1 too badly. Then had to run him down in a fairly close race.

Weirdly below I had a better 60' and MPH on my first run compared to his best run, yet he had a better ET. We each would have had to log these runs to really compare them, but maybe I just have bad racing Karma. Pat says I baby my cars too much. LOL But what is there to baby? You launch without spinning and keep your foot planted on the floor. Simple.

Also Bills (I think last) and my last run were both 11.5s so at least I could have kept up with him at least once if I had a good light.

Old 09-08-2018, 09:13 AM   #568
Fraxum

I went to Atco a few nights ago.....

Wednesday "Street Night" at Atco.

The DA was around +1800 @7PM going down to 1400 by 9PM.

The place was empty early and once again I limited my runs to 4. I could have made at least 10 I think.

After drag racing with ZL1 Bill it opened my eyes to testing what the track will hold on my first run. Rather than assuming soft for consistency. Magic. I had two low 1.8s and 2 1.7s with one of my best 60s so far below.

I raced twice with a Sliver M6 5th gen Camaro. I have mentioned this car before but this time I got his name, Mike. He is big on drag racing and his LS3 is built out to 427. As he described it it is a more torquey 427 rather than a higher revving LS7. 427 is my favorite motor number (old school!) and the LS7 my favorite engine of all time. So he get his cubes with more stroke than bore. Respect to the M6 versus me in the lazy A10. But as we know the manual demands full concentration and lets you know when you make an even small mistake. I love my A10, but wish I had another car with a manual. Maybe some day.

Mike also has a drag racing handle given to him by his racing friends, "Red Light Mike". LOL We raced twice and even though his car has proven itself faster than mine, I won both. I think he missed second (?) on one run and third on the other. Wierdly he now has a MGW shifter, the shifter with the best reputation but a PIA to install. I was very happy with a Barton and the 1LE shifter on my 5th gens. Maybe he is having clutch problems. Been there done that, I will never by another Cenerforce clutch.

One of our two runs below. I was lucky about the missed shifts to beat him twice becuse I am not going to catch him sleeping a the light. One of my best 60's and I tied my best RT of all time. On the the second run I was not expecting him to miss a shift again and I became "Red Light Mark" with a -.052 to his .008.

Old 09-09-2018, 04:59 AM   #569
GossipSquirrelJelena
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 Mustang GT. Supercharged.
So close to perfect.
GossipSquirrelJelena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 08:07 PM   #570
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by GossipSquirrelJelena View Post
So close to perfect.
Every dog has his day.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:09 PM   #571
GossipSquirrelJelena
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 Mustang GT. Supercharged.
Fast weather should be here in a few weeks. Might have to let the dog out a lot more.
GossipSquirrelJelena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 10:40 PM   #572
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
That’s a nice car but I’d expect a lot more from a proper 427 build just saying. Bolt on cars routinely run faster than that. I would expect at least 10s from a manual 427 build even at a heavy raceweight. Very uninspired personally
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 09:23 AM   #573
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAZLS1 View Post
That’s a nice car but I’d expect a lot more from a proper 427 build just saying. Bolt on cars routinely run faster than that. I would expect at least 10s from a manual 427 build even at a heavy raceweight. Very uninspired personally
Agreed. Not sure who built the motor. This is South Jersey. The mph is way too low too. But I think his best was 11.2 and it usually runs mid 11s in 2500 air. He was missing shifts with his new MGW shifter. Otherwise the Z would have been toast.

I was surprised to see a stock displacement LS3/M6 NA run 10.6 @129. I am sure that is an all out race car. Red Light Mikes SS is full weight even with some crap in the trunk. He reminds me of me in my bolton '16 SS. Just having fun.
Old 09-30-2018, 11:40 AM   #574
Fraxum

I went to Atco last Friday night.....

The DA was +500-700. Finally a nice day!

But it was a joke. I spun like crazy and lost the perfect opportunity to beat a stock Hellcat with DRs even up. He fell asleep at the light but I had to let off at the launch from spinning. So I ended up with a 2.1 60' and a 12.1 ET. But it was a good race. And so even though the A10 ZL1 has a better theoretical power to weight ratio than the bad kitty, he ran me down on the big end. So much for math and Dodge HP theories.

The next run was the same and I got beat by smaller Hemi with a supercharger. Another 12.1. Sheesh. So I pedaled the next run and ran an 11.7 with a high 1.9 60'. Sad this.

I give up! Dragstar 17x10.5s with MT ET Street 305/45-17 SSes on order. And I do know these are not the best but I sometimes have to drive in the rain on them, so safety first. Nittos do not match up well with the 27.5 inch high fronts. Sad that.