Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 03-22-2017, 09:06 AM   #15
00 Trans Ram

Drives: 2017 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLA BEE View Post
Buy one and see
How does it reduce lag?

Let me rephrase . . . how CAN it reduce lag?

Lag can be introduced by many things:

- throttle control box on the accelerator
- wiring
- ECU processing speed
- sensor sending speed
- number of calculations that have to be run
- throttle body motor
- etc.

It's already been shown that this does NOT rewrite any codes on the car (the whole "does it invalidate the warranty/can they see a tune" discussion). And, it doesn't replace any of the items that could introduce lag.

So, how could it ever reduce lag?

Again, don't get me wrong. I'm rather liking the fact that I can control the tip-in tables and get them where I want. I wish I could find one that was a little more sluggish on initial throttle (the first 5-10%, where you are just letting out the clutch), then more aggressive on the next 50% (where you are accelerating).

I like what it does. It just doesn't do what I initially wanted.
00 Trans Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 07:36 PM   #16
Sunsnare98

Drives: 2017 camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLA BEE View Post
Buy one and see
I have one. And I saw...which is why I know that it doesn't reduce lag. Wearing platform shoes has the same effect.
Sunsnare98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 03:13 PM   #17
Solid_Sim

Drives: 2018 Red hot A10 ZL1
If only I had seen this before ordering my Vitesse TC... Not that I regret it but the MAIN reason I wanted to install it was to remove the stupid lag you get when trying to accelerate... I found that in track mode, with the TC on SP2, I get NO LAG at all and throttle is comfortable for daily drive, but track mode needs to be put back every damn time I start the car!! -_-
Solid_Sim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 05:32 PM   #18
pjz1082

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
I have the V6 and for me it makes a huge difference with the feel of the car. Maybe because ya'll have the V8 its not as noticeable. For me, I have no regrets buying one. If i stomp the gas while in 3rd gear, the car slowly picks up speed when set to SP0. With it set to SP5 or 6, completely different. Car gets up to speed much faster. If no one believes me, or wants proof, I can always try and take a video. But again, i am speaking about the V6.
pjz1082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:01 AM   #19
AndyUK

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjz1082 View Post
I have the V6 and for me it makes a huge difference with the feel of the car. Maybe because ya'll have the V8 its not as noticeable. For me, I have no regrets buying one. If i stomp the gas while in 3rd gear, the car slowly picks up speed when set to SP0. With it set to SP5 or 6, completely different. Car gets up to speed much faster. If no one believes me, or wants proof, I can always try and take a video. But again, i am speaking about the V6.

when you say "stomp" - are you pushing the pedal all the way to the floor?
are you also above 3000rpm when you do this?

Last edited by AndyUK; 04-20-2017 at 08:23 AM.
AndyUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:00 AM   #20
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00 Trans Ram View Post
How does it reduce lag?

Let me rephrase . . . how CAN it reduce lag?

Lag can be introduced by many things:

- throttle control box on the accelerator
- wiring
- ECU processing speed
- sensor sending speed
- number of calculations that have to be run
- throttle body motor
- etc.

It's already been shown that this does NOT rewrite any codes on the car (the whole "does it invalidate the warranty/can they see a tune" discussion). And, it doesn't replace any of the items that could introduce lag.

So, how could it ever reduce lag?

Again, don't get me wrong. I'm rather liking the fact that I can control the tip-in tables and get them where I want. I wish I could find one that was a little more sluggish on initial throttle (the first 5-10%, where you are just letting out the clutch), then more aggressive on the next 50% (where you are accelerating).

I like what it does. It just doesn't do what I initially wanted.
It's the tip in that the controller is really designed for. The factory tables are more or less progressive as you describe, however they are really low for the first 50% of pedal travel. Not sure about the Lt1, but in the Ls3, for example, at 25% pedal travel it's something like 15% throttle opening. The ratio progresses towards linear as pedal travel increases. The real issue that I have with the LS3, is that I had to push the pedal to that 50% mark to get that "snappy" acceleration feel. The problem is that once I hit that mark, it's almost an on/off switch and can be too much for the given situation, like accelerating on a highway entrance ramp with a car in front of you, this is where I want a more linear tip in. I didn't buy the controller for a performance mod.

Now, it seems that the driving modes in the 2016 handle some of this modulation of throttle ratios for you. My jurrasic 2011 doesn't have that technology.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 04:25 PM   #21
pjz1082

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyUK View Post
when you say "stomp" - are you pushing the pedal all the way to the floor?
are you also above 3000rpm when you do this?
Yes. driving along at 2-2.5k rpms and push the pedal to the floor. The car does not react. It will slowly start to pick up speed until you are much higher in the rpms and i the power band. With the controller on, that lag is not there. You can feel the car pulling right away.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:19 PM   #22
AndyUK

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
Yes. driving along at 2-2.5k rpms and push the pedal to the floor. The car does not react. It will slowly start to pick up speed until you are much higher in the rpms and i the power band. With the controller on, that lag is not there. You can feel the car pulling right away.
I'm guessing manual as well then? Because the auto would just downshift for you.

I can see why people are calling this "lag" but it really isnt lag, its a programmed response. To get faster acceleration you could just be in the approriate gear.
AndyUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 07:30 PM   #23
KILLA BEE
Black lightning

Drives: 2021 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00 Trans Ram View Post
Well, there are hundreds of posts on here (and on other forums) where people say that it eliminates lag. Even video reviews where they say the same thing.

I drank the kool aid.

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showth...t=throttle+lag

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showth...tle+lag&page=2

Everyone (minus a few of the more enlightened people) says it reduces/eliminates lag. Even the manufacturers and sponsors! Unfortunately, it just ain't true!!
It's true to me.....
Old 04-23-2017, 08:34 AM   #24
Dysan911

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid_Sim View Post
If only I had seen this before ordering my Vitesse TC... Not that I regret it but the MAIN reason I wanted to install it was to remove the stupid lag you get when trying to accelerate... I found that in track mode, with the TC on SP2, I get NO LAG at all and throttle is comfortable for daily drive, but track mode needs to be put back every damn time I start the car!! -_-
I agree. In my opinion track mode feels like the first half of the throttle is pretty dull but works great for daily driving. Helps me shift the M6 much smoother since the throttle isn't as sensitive as you get back on the gas but then the 2nd half of the Track mode throttle feels almost linear. As you roll onto it, you get the desired throttle response you're looking for. I attribute this mapping for track use since most people would want and need that critical throttle control coming out of turns, etc.

Just a shame we can't stay in track mode or the VC controller can't be setup to mimic it.
Former Ride: 17 Camaro 2SS, M6 - Fifty | Procharger P1SC | 3.7 Pulley | Stage 2 IC | Race Bypass | DSX FF Kit | JRE Custom E85 Flex Fuel Tune | LT4 Fuel System | JMS Voltage Booster | MSD Plug Wires | American Racing 1-7/8's LT Headers Full System Catback | Baro Breakout Harness | LT4 Map Sensor | Katech Ported TB | MMS Oil Catch Can | 160 Thermo | Solo Performance J-Pipes

Dysan911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 01:30 PM   #25
pjz1082

Yes, manual. And yes, I understand that I would need to downshift to get more power. But the controller, like it or not, eliminates a lot of that dead peddle space. I'm not going to defend it because to each their own, but I really like it and feel its a worth while investment. Especially since i got mine used for $100 and especially for the V6.
Old 04-24-2017, 01:47 PM   #26
00 Trans Ram

Drives: 2017 2SS
Quote:
Not sure, but that's not the "lag" I'm talking about.

If you do what you are talking about in 6th gear, what you describe will happen. But, that's because you are in a high gear and the car doesn't make much power at 2k. Do that in 1st gear, though, and you'll break the tires loose.

The "lag" I'm talking about is when you are in any gear, at any RPM, and you stomp the gas, and the car does nothing for a half-second. Try it this way. Get the car in 4th at 40mph. At that speed/gear, if you stomp the gas, you'll get acceleration, but nothing crazy.

Now, stomp the gas, but immediately let up. Notice how the car didn't react, or if it did, barely? That's what I mean. It should react immediately.

These controllers are advertised to get rid of lag, but they don't.
00 Trans Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 12:02 PM   #27
horizon670

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2LT / RS / Auto
The best way to feel the Throttle response improvement and Lag elimination is to try the following.
Set your controller to SP0 ( Stock mode )
Put the Transmission in Neutral try to do 3 or 4 consecutive revs: " Vroom vroom vroom " one after the other without any delay in between.

Now increase the setting to like SP6 and retry doing the same thing.

You will now understand what we're talking about.

On Stock mode, you see how something was preventing you from making those very quick consecutive revs ? That's the delay we're talking about.

GM purposely built that delay to make the car safer, more fuel efficient...

Imagine a 455hp rear wheel drive without that built-in delay ! not safe for the average driver !
horizon670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 04:44 PM   #28
Buzzberd6

Drives: 2LT/1LE, HPCRX, F250(tow vehicle)
No offense horizon670 but that's not the throttle lag I was wanting to eliminate when I purchased mine a month or so back. I get what you're talking about but I wanted to get rid of the ridiculous delay GM programmed in to these that makes it almost impossible to accelerate smoothly from a stop with a 6 speed in normal everyday traffic. Not sure about anyone else but I never had this problem with my previous S2000 or any of my many manual transmission equipped vehicles I've owned over the past 45 years. And it's directly related to the electronic throttle control programming.

Regardless, I took the controller out of my 2LT 1LE yesterday AM when the car decided to go into reduced power mode and put itself back into Touring mode at the same time.
This happened at over 75 MPH during the first session of a track day at Daytona after I had just passed two other cars! To say they were both all over my ass is an understatement. The car would not accelerate except at a snails pace. I did finally get it back into track mode but only after I had gotten back to pit lane and recycled everything at least three times. Went back out on track, happened again three turns later. I was not a happy camper!

I then called the only GM service tech I know and trust (also related to him) and the first thing he asked me was if the throttle controller was still connected and if so to disconnect it. It was, I did and there were ZERO issues with the car the rest of the day.

So, anybody interested in a near new Vittese throttle controller? It's never going back in my car.
Buzzberd6 is offline   Reply With Quote