#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 07-21-2018, 12:53 PM   #1
1CEBITN

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Vert w/2SS
Thinking about an upgrade from 2SS vert M6 to ZL1 vert M6

Hi folks,

I've had my 2017 2SS vert M6 for almost a year and I love everything about the car but I'm getting the itch to add more power. Given the car only has 3k miles on it I really don't want to lose my warranty throwing a procharger/heads/CAI/tune on it. Plus then I really need to upgrade wheels/tires (wider in rear especially), 1LE brake package, etc... to handle the new power. The total for all of that with labor is well over $10k.

Or I can upgrade to a 2017 ZL1 vert M6, used, under 5k miles for the same $10k in trade difference and have a car with a warranty that has all the things I would need to add to my car to acheive the same power level plus a better fuel system should I want to go over 600rwhp.

So, the main question is, for those of you with a ZL1 vert, does that sound like a no-brainer? Secondary question: I'm a hard-core, old-school muscle car guy and I believe firmly that a sports car should have a manual tranny. I've heard great things about the A10 in the ZL1 though - but I wonder how much of that is the eLSD in the coupe vs the vert that doesn't have the eLSD. I will try to drive both but it seems to me having the shorter 3.73 gears will create quicker times stoplight to stoplight vs the 2.xx whatever is on the A10 vert. The 3.73 will lower the top speed but I'm not planning on going 185 with my hair on fire, I'm too old for that nonsense. My shifts are pretty darn quick on my M6 using the no lift shift feature, I assume that exists on the ZL1 also?

Last question: I hear a ton about the "bog" on the M6. I've never felt it on my car that I know of. Either I'm a great manual driver or I drive like a granny compared to those who complain about it, not sure which. Either way, is the bog a problem on the ZL1?

Thanks in advance, folks!
1CEBITN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 01:33 PM   #2
hashtag

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10/2018 GT350R #JR603
You lost me on trade difference? How much do you think your SS Camaro Vert is worth. I’m seeing more than a 10 K difference.
Old 07-21-2018, 02:07 PM   #3
bobby35ny

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10
The no lift M6 feature is great but the bog is REAL!!
Old 07-21-2018, 08:11 PM   #4
rasracin

Drives: Red
"I'm a hard-core, old-school muscle car guy and I believe firmly that a sports car should have a manual tranny." You answered your own question. The ZL1 is everything that your SS is and then some. A manual vert is the ultimate ride for one not looking for a track day car. The bog is real. I noticed it as I drove off the dealership lot. Being a long time "stick guy" I was intially questioning my ability. With 13000 miles now on my ZL1.....I can drive around the bog. If the money difference works; drop the top, let the hp/torque pin you in the seat and enjoy every minute behind the wheel.
rasracin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 09:20 PM   #5
FringBirdAloha

Drives: Pre-production ZL1 M6
The bog is built in programming from GM to save the tranny from the immense power of the engine. It only affects drag racers.
FringBirdAloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 09:58 PM   #6
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
I started with a 2011 2SS Vert, and when the 5th gen ZL1 Verts came out I traded the 2011 in on a 2013 ZL1 Vert.

Totally different car, and I've had a permagrin ever since. To me the price difference was well worth it.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 10:47 PM   #7
1hprush
2018 ZL1 1LE

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1CEBITN View Post
Hi folks,

I've had my 2017 2SS vert M6 for almost a year and I love everything about the car but I'm getting the itch to add more power. Given the car only has 3k miles on it I really don't want to lose my warranty throwing a procharger/heads/CAI/tune on it. Plus then I really need to upgrade wheels/tires (wider in rear especially), 1LE brake package, etc... to handle the new power. The total for all of that with labor is well over $10k.

Or I can upgrade to a 2017 ZL1 vert M6, used, under 5k miles for the same $10k in trade difference and have a car with a warranty that has all the things I would need to add to my car to acheive the same power level plus a better fuel system should I want to go over 600rwhp.

So, the main question is, for those of you with a ZL1 vert, does that sound like a no-brainer? Secondary question: I'm a hard-core, old-school muscle car guy and I believe firmly that a sports car should have a manual tranny. I've heard great things about the A10 in the ZL1 though - but I wonder how much of that is the eLSD in the coupe vs the vert that doesn't have the eLSD. I will try to drive both but it seems to me having the shorter 3.73 gears will create quicker times stoplight to stoplight vs the 2.xx whatever is on the A10 vert. The 3.73 will lower the top speed but I'm not planning on going 185 with my hair on fire, I'm too old for that nonsense. My shifts are pretty darn quick on my M6 using the no lift shift feature, I assume that exists on the ZL1 also?

Last question: I hear a ton about the "bog" on the M6. I've never felt it on my car that I know of. Either I'm a great manual driver or I drive like a granny compared to those who complain about it, not sure which. Either way, is the bog a problem on the ZL1?

Thanks in advance, folks!
Been thinking the same thing you have, bought my car new. However, I've had mine a year too and I just don't want to get hammered on the depreciation. So, I just upgraded my exhaust and looking to do a few more mods, I can do most of my own work, so this will keep the cost in line and encourage me to enjoy what I have for awhile longer.
1hprush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 12:33 AM   #8
Artos

Drives: A10 LT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRGNZ View Post
They only have one motor in the ZL1, no V6

Factoid noted.

Drops mic.

hears crickets??

Please Exit stage left.

Artos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 05:35 AM   #9
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
So, the main question is, for those of you with a ZL1 vert, does that sound like a no-brainer?

no lift shift feature exists on the ZL1 also?

is the bog a problem on the ZL1?
Yes. $10k for the LT4 and all other toys is a good deal.

Yes in both the M6 and the A10

Yes the M6 bogs; no the A10 does not.

See this thread on ELSD:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=534336
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 10:52 AM   #10
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
So figure you get a good deal on a ZL1 and your OTD price is $65,000. You think your 2SS trades in for $55,000? You'd be lucky to trade a brand new ZL1 in for $55k.

I think you have a $25k difference or more, most dealers would probably offer you somewhere in the 30s. I would still buy a ZL1 before trying to make an SS a faster car. I daily drove a 2SS for a week and man what a different car from the ZL1. The brakes don't feel good at all, the car feels cheaper, and not as aggressive. You will not regret the upgrade to the ZL1.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 12:16 PM   #11
1CEBITN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
So figure you get a good deal on a ZL1 and your OTD price is $65,000. You think your 2SS trades in for $55,000? You'd be lucky to trade a brand new ZL1 in for $55k.

I think you have a $25k difference or more, most dealers would probably offer you somewhere in the 30s. I would still buy a ZL1 before trying to make an SS a faster car. I daily drove a 2SS for a week and man what a different car from the ZL1. The brakes don't feel good at all, the car feels cheaper, and not as aggressive. You will not regret the upgrade to the ZL1.
Several gen6 used, under 5k mile, M6 ZL1 verts in the mid-50k range and my car books just under 40k (according to the dealer). The point of the post wasn’t to get feedback on the feasibility of the idea, I can work the deal out myself. it was to understand more about what you all with verts have experienced.
Old 07-22-2018, 03:00 PM   #12
hashtag

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10/2018 GT350R #JR603
Quote:
Several gen6 used, under 5k mile, M6 ZL1 verts in the mid-50k range and my car books just under 40k (according to the dealer). The point of the post wasn’t to get feedback on the feasibility of the idea, I can work the deal out myself. it was to understand more about what you all with verts have experienced.
Not on e-bay there is not! ZL1 Vert tends to hold their $.

There is no way you’re getting 40 K for your SS Vert!! I’ve sold brand new ones for 41.
Old 07-22-2018, 03:06 PM   #13
Deadmau5

Drives: 2015 procharged mustang gt
Not going to get close to 40k for a ss vert lol. Even the significantly better 1le barely gets 34 in trade in.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Deadmau5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 03:35 PM   #14
1CEBITN

Quote:
Originally Posted by hashtag View Post
Not on e-bay there is not! ZL1 Vert tends to hold their $.

There is no way you’re getting 40 K for your SS Vert!! I’ve sold brand new ones for 41.
I guess some of you guys can't read well. Again, the question I asked had NOTHING to do with asking anyone's OPINION on a deal I can fully work on my own. Have you seen my 2SS vert? Nope. Any idea what the MSRP was on it or options it has? Nope. Did you talk to the dealer? Nope. So keep your opinion to yourself. If you have something to contribute regarding my actual questions, I'm all ears...