Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-08-2017, 03:13 PM   #29
horizon670

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2LT / RS / Auto
Sounds like your controller needs to be re-calibrated.

When you said: "Recycled everything three times" what do you mean by that ?
horizon670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 07:01 AM   #30
Buzzberd6

Drives: 2LT/1LE, HPCRX, F250(tow vehicle)
Quote:
Originally Posted by horizon670 View Post
Sounds like your controller needs to be re-calibrated.

When you said: "Recycled everything three times" what do you mean by that ?
I turned the car off and then back on again. That's the only way I could while I was sitting in the seat on pit lane with belts and a helmet on.
I was hoping to get back out to the track before the session ended.
Buzzberd6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 10:23 AM   #31
00 Trans Ram

Drives: 2017 2SS
OK, finally took a video of what I mean by "throttle lag". This is typical, though it can be worse (usually when in 1st gear, and slowly letting out the clutch in traffic). It's never better.

As you can see, both traction control and stability control are off (hold TC button 5+ seconds). I'm in Sport mode, 4th gear, at 50 mph. And, the throttle controller is on SP4 (Sport 4).

You can see/hear what I'm talking about if you listen for the "click" of the pedal being pressed all the way down, and the corresponding rev that happens ~1/2 second later. It's actually about 13-14 frames later, in the video, which means that it's actually between .43 and .47 seconds delayed. But, close enough.

This is the "throttle lag" which I'm trying to get rid of. But, as I said in my OP, logic dictates that, unless the controller is actually reprogramming the computer, there is no way that putting an ADDITIONAL processing component into the information transmission pathway can REDUCE lag. Even if it takes only 1 millisecond for the controller to process the input and produce an output, that's an ADDITIONAL millisecond added to the existing lag.
00 Trans Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 12:36 PM   #32
Curr
Probably doesn't like you

Drives: 2022 WCT ZL1 M6
I'm not sure you're going to be able to get 'rid' of it.

From what I understand of the ECU when you slam the gas down there are a couple things at play.

The previously mentioned torque management system is checking to see if giving you all the power is a good idea. To do this it checks all the sensors in the car, and then interpret it, and this takes time.

Same thing along the lines of people yanking on the downshift paddle and the 'delay' before the car does it. The car is checking to see if it's an ok idea.

كافر
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
железобетонное очко
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
There is an unequal amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly.
Curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 12:55 PM   #33
aw113sgte

Drives: none
I'm unimpressed with the lag and I'm not convinced they couldn't make it work faster. There are lots of DBW systems that don't have any perceptible lag. For a sports car, this is ridiculous.
aw113sgte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 01:32 PM   #34
Wolvie70

Drives: 2016 2SS, Summit White, A8, NPP
I guess I haven't noticed it as much on my 2016, but it was horrendous on my 2013. I ended up getting a ported throttle body and cold air intake. This combination made the car much better. I eventually added the VTC as well which I like for the initial tip in or whatever you call it.

I agree with you that the VTC will not stop the condition you demonstrated as it does nothing for WOT.
Wolvie70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 07:15 PM   #35
BlueThunder2SS

Drives: 2016 HyperBlue 2SS
I just got my VTC this week, and love having the first inch of pedal travel actually activating the throttle, vs. the wimpy stock throttle.

I hated having to mash the gas pedal to beat minivans off a stop light. Just didn't "feel" fast. Now I have throttle the instant I start to push and can modulate the pedal with finesse. I'm getting my downshifts quicker for passing as well, without that feel of having to "floor it" .

(I know, the rest of you muscle guys love flooring it, but I come from the sports car world, attracted by the new suspension of the gen 6.)
BlueThunder2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 08:18 AM   #36
horizon670

A proper calibration every once in a while is very important. If you can still feel lag, that means it is not properly calibrated !

The Controller does 2 things:

Adjust the Throttle response ( 9 different settings )
Reduce Lag ( The higher the setting, the less lag you will feel )

The Throttle Controller will allow you to fine tune the Throttle response, making your gas pedal feel directly connected to your engine, through all the different settings you can choose from, the average setting ( SP5 ) will give you a more linear relation between the pedal and the Throttle Body. The same feel as with a hard cable throttle body, the way it used to be on older cars...
Old 07-18-2018, 09:20 AM   #37
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
I suspect that there's some "damping" inherent with the throttle mapping that's unreachable with these throttle controllers. Intentionally designed in.

Not responding instantaneously and precisely to the amount of pedal movement makes the car easier to drive at a steady speed and probably does benefit fuel economy a tiny bit since it's not going to be commanding all the little part-throttle acceleration enrichments that you didn't really mean. Consider that your foot probably does move a tiny bit every time you hit a bump or only when the suspension moves far enough (it's almost always moving a little). Probably when you shift position in the seat as well.

Norm
Old 07-18-2018, 10:22 AM   #38
horizon670

Yes, there is some damping dialed in to prevent what you have very well explained above, to prevent the slightest movements of the gas pedal ( going over bumps... ) but with the Controller set at anything higher than SP7, the pedal became way too sensitive to those bumps or imperfections on the road.
This is a hard proof that the Controller did reduce that "damping" which some call Lag.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:43 PM   #39
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
old Hwy 51 between LaPlace and Manchac,...sounds like someplace down in Mexico.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 12:48 PM   #40
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsnare98 View Post
Newest 6th gen throttle controller!

Sold by J.C. Whitney??
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote