Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-13-2018, 09:43 AM   #15
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS CV CE
Quote:
Originally Posted by clemson726 View Post
For those not familiar with a B rating, its worth reading about. Its basically the percentage of a particular engine relative to how many were sold that can make it to a particular mile mark. So like a B10 @ 300,000 would mean that 10% of the engines produced are expected to see 300,000 miles before it needs rebuilt.
It would be great, but auto manufacturers would push back with all their legal might.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:06 AM   #16
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXSSCE View Post
I disagree, because it's clearly stated that testing was done for 300k, three times the 100k life cycle . I worked in HP's warranty department for several years. Life cycle is the length of time that a product is expected to function with minimal repairs & support before being deemed obsolete.
The most important lesson that I learned while there, is the true meaning of 'lifetime warranty'. It's not the length of the purchaser's lifetime, but the length of the product's lifetime. Once a manufacturer deems a product obsolete, the lifetime warranty has concluded. Most consumers aren't aware of it.

Two different definitions of 'life cycle'.
In your case, you are referring to a products 'total expected life span'.
In simulation/validation testing it just refers to a particular span of product life, not it's total life.

With simulation/validation it's simply a way of describing a way of simulating in just a few weeks, the stress that would normally take (in this case) 100k miles of normal use.

The testing done in the video is standard practice with all automotive manufacturers as well as other manufacturers in the transportation industry including large farm equipment and military and more.

What you see in the video is testing on what is referred to as a '4-poster' It utilizes 4 vertical hydraulic actuators (one under each wheel) that the vehicle is sitting on. These actuators only provide vertical movement.

Another form of vehicle testing utilizes complex fixtures that attach directly to each wheel hub after the wheel/tire is removed. Such a rig utilizes multiple actuators attached to each wheel that can move that wheel in multiple axis at the same time.

Either method allows the engineers to instrument a vehicle, drive that vehicle over a particular section of road, test track, or other surface, record the data, then take that data back to the lab where their test systems can use that same data to operate their test rigs to duplicate those same vehicle motions in the laboratory. This way, their test rigs can run 24/7 without the need to have someone actually driving the vehicle, and in a controlled environment.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 11:25 AM   #17
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
Two different definitions of 'life cycle'.
In your case, you are referring to a products 'total expected life span'.
In simulation/validation testing it just refers to a particular span of product life, not it's total life.

With simulation/validation it's simply a way of describing a way of simulating in just a few weeks, the stress that would normally take (in this case) 100k miles of normal use.

The testing done in the video is standard practice with all automotive manufacturers as well as other manufacturers in the transportation industry including large farm equipment and military and more.

What you see in the video is testing on what is referred to as a '4-poster' It utilizes 4 vertical hydraulic actuators (one under each wheel) that the vehicle is sitting on. These actuators only provide vertical movement.

Another form of vehicle testing utilizes complex fixtures that attach directly to each wheel hub after the wheel/tire is removed. Such a rig utilizes multiple actuators attached to each wheel that can move that wheel in multiple axis at the same time.

Either method allows the engineers to instrument a vehicle, drive that vehicle over a particular section of road, test track, or other surface, record the data, then take that data back to the lab where their test systems can use that same data to operate their test rigs to duplicate those same vehicle motions in the laboratory. This way, their test rigs can run 24/7 without the need to have someone actually driving the vehicle, and in a controlled environment.
I understand the testing process, but I believe you're splitting hairs with 'life cycle' vs 'life span'. We'll simply agree to disagree.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:35 AM   #18
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
I understand the testing process, but I believe you're splitting hairs with 'life cycle' vs 'life span'. We'll simply agree to disagree.
We're just looking at testing from two different points of view. We're both correct.

You spent a few years in warranty, I retired after 25 years working in a testing company that did the type of testing shown in the video.

It's all good.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 11:50 AM   #19
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
We're just looking at testing from two different points of view. We're both correct.

You spent a few years in warranty, I retired after 25 years working in a testing company that did the type of testing shown in the video.

It's all good.
We absolutely agree there. I tend to view things from a warranty perspective & what a consumer claims vs what a warranty states.
Life cycle is a manufacturer's commitment & life span is the length of time a product is expected to last. The engineer mentioned "three lives, 300k miles", so my interpretation is based on that statement.

Old 07-13-2018, 12:14 PM   #20
Spec
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS LS3
Well, busted rocker at around 83k miles, but no issues since - now at 136k miles. I don't drive it hard, but give it a nice romp every now and then.
Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 12:24 PM   #21
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec View Post
Well, busted rocker at around 83k miles, but no issues since - now at 136k miles. I don't drive it hard, but give it a nice romp every now and then.
Romp on, it's not worth having if you don't enjoy it.

Old 07-13-2018, 12:53 PM   #22
steakmaker

Drives: '10 Camaro SS,Jeep Commander Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincog View Post
Nope. It means that the Camaro is only designed to run for 100k without falling apart....after that...well....my exploded engine is one example. The costs to keep it running become way too much to keep it on the road.

What a shame.
I wonder what the lifespan is on my 2003 Chevy 2500 Express w/5.3 , so far she's doing well,no leaking,no oil burning,engine runs real strong w/281K on it. Accelerates great ,373 dif,I wish the body held up as good as the engine.
steakmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 01:49 PM   #23
farm rat

Drives: 2011 Vistory Red 1LS
I sold an 03 Monte Carlo SS with 235,000 on it when I bought the Camaro.

2011 1LS M6 Victory Red

Sold
1967 Coupe Green and White
1969 SS 396 Hugger Orange
1969 Z/28 All original White with deluxe interior
1970 RS Blue
1978 Coupe Fugly Green
1978 WS-6 Trans-Am Factory 4 speed
1985 IROC-Z Red
farm rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 02:06 PM   #24
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by farm rat View Post
I sold an 03 Monte Carlo SS with 235,000 on it when I bought the Camaro.
I miss the Monte Carlo.
Attached Images

Old 07-13-2018, 02:35 PM   #25
GatorGreg

Drives: '14 Blue Ray ("Suite Madame Blue")
Thanks for the vid, very cool! However, I disagree with your contention that they say the expected life span of a Camaro is only 100,00 miles. I watched it twice, and both times I understood them to say vert owners keep their cars longer on average and that they expect them to keep them for 100,000 miles during the life of their ownership, so they did the 100,000 mile test 3 times for good measure. If anything, you could say they engineered the car in such a way that they expect it could survive 300,000 miles (with regularly required maintenance obviously).

That said, the car’s Powertrain Warranty is 5 years / 100,000 miles, and it’s Corrosion Warranty is 6 years / 100,000 miles, but that’s pretty much the same for Mustangs and Challengers too. And yet, there are tons of drivers of these cars with far more than 100,000 miles. I doubt a carmaker would want their warranty to cover the entire expected life of the vehicle, if they did they would all go bankrupt - oh wait, LOL. What I’m trying to say is, they would want to engineer their cars so that the vast majority of their cars would safely exceed the warranty coverage, else they would lose tons of money.
GatorGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 03:20 PM   #26
mr_honez
Wifey Lover

Drives: 2013 Crystal Red 2LT/RS
Mine is well in to her second life at 110K miles then. I guess I'll find out if she can make 300K in about 6-7 years from now..
Old 07-13-2018, 03:24 PM   #27
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
Quote:
I disagree, because it's clearly stated that testing was done for 300k, three times the 100k life cycle . I worked in HP's warranty department for several years. Life cycle is the length of time that a product is expected to function with minimal repairs & support before being deemed obsolete.
The most important lesson that I learned while there, is the true meaning of 'lifetime warranty'. It's not the length of the purchaser's lifetime, but the length of the product's lifetime. Once a manufacturer deems a product obsolete, the lifetime warranty has concluded. Most consumers aren't aware of it.
thats odd.i have a 1993 honda with a lifetime transmission warranty.trans was rebuilt for the 2nd time at 300,000 miles last year.engine has never been apart except valve cover gaskets and timing belts.still runs and looks good despite a couple minor accidents and repairs and a few paint jobs.so are you huys telling me i should have kept the honda instead of giving it to my son?if i dont get at least 150,000 miles on the engine and trans before needing work i will be sorely dissapointed and go back to hondas.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 03:35 PM   #28
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
thats odd.i have a 1993 honda with a lifetime transmission warranty.trans was rebuilt for the 2nd time at 300,000 miles last year.engine has never been apart except valve cover gaskets and timing belts.still runs and looks good despite a couple minor accidents and repairs and a few paint jobs.so are you huys telling me i should have kept the honda instead of giving it to my son?if i dont get at least 150,000 miles on the engine and trans before needing work i will be sorely dissapointed and go back to hondas.
I'm suggesting the fine print in a warranty should be read before making a large purchase... regardless of the product.