Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-21-2018, 10:16 PM   #1
Billabongi

Drives: '17 SS 50th Camaro
V6 vs 1LE SS MRC ride

I am in the market for an SS and I ran across an SS with the 1LE spec suspension on it (not full 1LE) and I’m trying to estimate the ride difference between a RS V6 and a 1LE spec SS with MRC. I assume sport mode will be significantly stiffer but will touring mode still be plenty civil for daily driving? The car is 5 hours from me so I can’t pop by and test drive so I have to guesstimate.
2017 50th Anniversary 2LT\RS - #1583 SOLD
2017 50th Anniversary 2SS - #3410
Billabongi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 10:58 PM   #2
Roostie
all it takes is cash

Drives: 2018 LS V6 1LE; E350 wagon; Model3
The Magnetic Ride Control gives the SS 1LE a reasonable ride/handling balance.

When the Magnetic Ride Control is on a standard SS, the rude is probably even better, but I haven't been in one. It would ride softer in touring mode than the standard SS suspension. It might be the best ride of all Camaros.

If you want even more Improvement, you could always change to non run-flat tires in the future.
Roostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 01:44 PM   #3
Billabongi

Drives: '17 SS 50th Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roostie View Post

When the Magnetic Ride Control is on a standard SS, the rude is probably even better, but I haven't been in one. It would ride softer in touring mode than the standard SS suspension. It might be the best ride of all Camaros.

If you want even more Improvement, you could always change to non run-flat tires in the future.
Thanks! I’m going into this kind of blind so I wanted something reasonably soft for daily commutes but still had the stiffer side for fun weekends Sounds like that is what I’ll get.
2017 50th Anniversary 2LT\RS - #1583 SOLD
2017 50th Anniversary 2SS - #3410
Billabongi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 08:28 AM   #4
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
I've had both an SS and an SS 1LE. They're not terribly different in terms of ride. Both are plenty fine for daily driving. I am usually in Sport for daily driving, but sometimes will drop down to tour if the road is particularly rough. I'm assuming your roads in Tampa are, on average, better than the roads here in MI so I think you'd be just fine with the SS
Old 07-24-2018, 10:04 PM   #5
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roostie View Post

+1 Cannot wait to finish off the stock run-flats to find a better sticking and quieter ( less road noise) alternative to the factory tires on my 2017 SS MRC car! Sport mode is fine but more than an hour on western highways and I feel like I need ear plugs! And this is from an old touring motorcyclist!

The car rides great and that is a big reason I traded in my 2010 Camaro (like going from from a covered wagon to a Cadillac- although I must admit the 5th gen was highly modified).

I wouldn't worry about 1LE upgrades- this new generation car is light years ahead of previous Camaro's.
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 12:16 PM   #6
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
SS with MRC here on all seasons. Tour mode is super super plush. I love it especially DDing