Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-21-2018, 08:59 PM   #1
Randall08

Drives: 2016 Camaro RS
What’s the best HP gains everyone has on there V6 camaro’s

What is everyone’s HP gains and what were the mods you installed?
Randall08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 10:54 PM   #2
Kenny Camaro
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 1LT RS Camaro
Drumbc had around 50rwhp gain with the Overkill tune, the Overkill 80mm/ Ported Intake Manifold combo, with the E/85 option. That’s the largest non forced induction dyno sheet I’ve seen. 310 rwhp
Kenny Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 04:23 AM   #3
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Camaro View Post
Drumbc had around 50rwhp gain with the Overkill tune, the Overkill 80mm/ Ported Intake Manifold combo, with the E/85 option. That’s the largest non forced induction dyno sheet I’ve seen. 310 rwhp
Derek had 316 rwhp. If only we could get some good cam options for these V6's.

If we could, we wouldn't have to take any lip from the Gen5 V8 guys. Another 30-40 rwhp on top of that would put us right where the V8's are.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 11:32 AM   #4
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo View Post

If we could, we wouldn't have to take any lip from the Gen5 V8 guys. Another 30-40 rwhp on top of that would put us right where the V8's are.
Cam options wouldn't net hardly any power. It already has continually variable cam phasing and variable valve timing. It adjusts to the benefits of a high lift cam automatically. Adding a cam would not only be a tuning nightmare, being an almost 12.1 compression motor, there probably isn't much room left for more lift anyway.
Nsxmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 08:51 PM   #5
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsxmatt View Post
Cam options wouldn't net hardly any power. It already has continually variable cam phasing and variable valve timing. It adjusts to the benefits of a high lift cam automatically. Adding a cam would not only be a tuning nightmare, being an almost 12.1 compression motor, there probably isn't much room left for more lift anyway.

and after buying a 4-500$ set of cams, most aren't gonna be feelin the price for install...about 1500-2000$ and then tuning at around 250-500$

all for 30-40whp...if that.

unless you just wanna waste ducketts for uniqueness...

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 12:40 PM   #6
bdavies11

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:

IF you can get roughly 320 rwhp out of the Gen6 V6, I would think you should be right there with Gen 5 V8's already. Your cars are nearly 600lbs lighter than a Gen5 V8.
bdavies11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 04:51 PM   #7
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavies11 View Post
IF you can get roughly 320 rwhp out of the Gen6 V6, I would think you should be right there with Gen 5 V8's already. Your cars are nearly 600lbs lighter than a Gen5 V8.
Most the bone stock gen 5 ss’s I see run at beech bend run mid 13’s, my best run bone stock is 13.8. I think the gears really hold the V6 back, that and minor bolts on and tune and low 13’s should be attainable.
Nsxmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 04:26 PM   #8
PolynesianPowerhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavies11 View Post
while its general to think 320 is the magic number,

I've seen mostly stock v6's, some with just bolt on mods, walk v8's at the track. I did so my first year out with getting back into drag racing. 3 times back to back and another guy a few weeks later. the first guy has since upgraded to the gen 6 SS now, but theres really no "magic hp number" to beat this or that car at the track. its always gonna be a combo of things that make the entire package work.

everyone gets fixated on numbers and HP, but very few do anything to actually put power to the track. I mean track guys do the ground work. they already know..., but the avg owner thinks in only HP HP HP numbers.... forgets torque, has little clue about traction, and suspension is a 10 letter dirty word.

i'm sure everyone has been to a cars and coffee and seen the guy who dropped 10 grand or more on a supercharger, meth/water injection, and didn't spend 150$ to upgrade his brake pads.

or the ones that spent the 10 grand to go fast, but always has traction/wheel hop issues, etc... and never can fully get on the gas.

in gym terms, we call it "jail body"... the guys which big shoulders, chests, and arms....but chicken/teenage girl legs...

it happens just the same with cars. lots of power, weak foundation.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
Old 08-03-2018, 09:36 PM   #9
Kenny Camaro
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 1LT RS Camaro
Quote:

Derek had around 25 tune revisions on his car. Drumbc had one Dyno session that Will of Overkill remote tuned for him. After more data logging and data revisions, he probably is at more than 310 rwhp. As for the cams “only” bringing 30-40 hp, that’s over 10% gain and that’s a good gain by any measure. I don’t know if Mace, who did the LFX cams is doing anything for the LGX platform. Does anybody have any info on cams for the LGX?
Kenny Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 07:58 AM   #10
PolynesianPowerhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Camaro View Post
Derek had around 25 tune revisions on his car. Drumbc had one Dyno session that Will of Overkill remote tuned for him. After more data logging and data revisions, he probably is at more than 310 rwhp. As for the cams “only” bringing 30-40 hp, that’s over 10% gain and that’s a good gain by any measure. I don’t know if Mace, who did the LFX cams is doing anything for the LGX platform. Does anybody have any info on cams for the LGX?
I did a comparison of hp per dollar... the cams were on the more expensive side of things if i remember right. Most wont invest 2500-3000$. 10% os good, bit most arent doing major builds yet like on the lfx. Maybe in time as usual.

V8s surely. Boosted i-4's no doubt. V6 is a frugal & skeptical crowd on the majority.

Theres a post on this forum from a bit ago, talking about production. People were lookin into the hpfp fuel lobes. Kinda fizzled.