Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 04-21-2014, 09:36 AM   #1
elbob

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
need some HPDE assistance

Hello,

I'm wanting to get another set of wheels and tires to use strictly for HPDE events. I have a 2010 2SS and right now I'm using the stock wheels with Nitto motive tires.

What is a good Tire and wheel size combo? I would like to be able to rotate them.
I was thinking of 4- 19X10 Forgestar f14 with maybe Nitto nt05 305/30/19
on all 4. I will be driving about 90 miles to and from the track.

Also I have a set of Pfadt 1.25 lowering springs I was going to put on so I want to make sure there are no fitment issues.

Another question I have is about sway bar settings. I have BMR ZL Spec sway bars on my car and right now I have both the front and rear in the second hole. Is this the best spot or should I maybe move the back to the 3rd (stiffest) hole?
elbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 09:56 AM   #2
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by elbob View Post
Hello,

I'm wanting to get another set of wheels and tires to use strictly for HPDE events. I have a 2010 2SS and right now I'm using the stock wheels with Nitto motive tires.

What is a good Tire and wheel size combo? I would like to be able to rotate them.
I was thinking of 4- 19X10 Forgestar f14 with maybe Nitto nt05 305/30/19
on all 4. I will be driving about 90 miles to and from the track.

Also I have a set of Pfadt 1.25 lowering springs I was going to put on so I want to make sure there are no fitment issues.

Another question I have is about sway bar settings. I have BMR ZL Spec sway bars on my car and right now I have both the front and rear in the second hole. Is this the best spot or should I maybe move the back to the 3rd (stiffest) hole?
Keep in mind that, if the tires are directional - you may not be able to rotate them. In any event - I've noticed my tires tend to wear pretty evenly front/rear when on the track...so it might not be an issue.

Some people have successfully fit 305 tires up front...but that will be your biggest challenge. You'll need to pay special attention to offset values to make sure the wheel/tire is not going to rub against anything. You might want to get in contact with Forgestar, or one of our wheel vendors on the site to talk through the project so they can better direct you.

A stiffer rear bar vs front on a car with a square wheel and tire setup will tend to induce oversteer at the limit...which means the back end will want to come around. You might want to leave the bars in the middle setting until you get on a track with your desired wheel/tire setup to see how the car reacts.

If you notice the front end is pushing through corners (ie not turning), then you could try first, to soften the front bar...If that doesn't seem to help get grip up front, you could stiffen the rear bar...

It's a lot of trial-and-error...especially since the tires will have such a big part to play in what you choose to do. Just remember to be careful...

Have you been to many HPDEs with your Camaro?
Old 04-21-2014, 10:07 AM   #3
elbob

I've just been to 3 so far one January, march, then this last one this past Saturday.
1st 2 I was in the novice group, then I was in intermediate this weekend. As I'm getting Faster I'm definitely pushing more and my tires are starting to lose small chunks of rubber on the edges. the later laps the tires were feeling squishy.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:22 AM   #4
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
I've just been to 3 so far one January, march, then this last one this past Saturday.
1st 2 I was in the novice group, then I was in intermediate this weekend. As I'm getting Faster I'm definitely pushing more and my tires are starting to lose small chunks of rubber on the edges. the later laps the tires were feeling squishy.
Still using OE Pirelli tires in a staggered setup? (245f, 275r)

And any changes to your suspension beyond the sway bars?
Old 04-21-2014, 10:34 AM   #5
elbob

I have the Nitto Motivo in the OE staggerd set up (245f, 275r)

right now my car has
Sways
Pfadt Subframe bushings
pfadt tie rods
BMR trailing arms
Goodridge SS Brke lines
Hawk dct 30 front brake pads
Hawk HP Plus Rear Pads
Motul 600 Brake Fluid
and Red Line oil

I have the pfadt lowering springs in a box just haven't put them on yet
Old 04-21-2014, 10:39 AM   #6
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
I have the Nitto Motivo in the OE staggerd set up (245f, 275r)

right now my car has
Sways
Pfadt Subframe bushings
pfadt tie rods
BMR trailing arms
Goodridge SS Brke lines
Hawk dct 30 front brake pads
Hawk HP Plus Rear Pads
Motul 600 Brake Fluid
and Red Line oil
Ok. What I'm going to ask next is more of a seat-of-the-pants assessment.

When you're going through corners at a HPDE...at speed...do you feel like the car's back end wants to come around (oversteer)? Or do the front tires appear to be loosing grip and not turning the car as sharply (understeer)?
Old 04-21-2014, 10:44 AM   #7
elbob

front tires loose grip and not turn.

I did have one instance where my car pretty much went straight off the track on a tight turn
Old 04-21-2014, 10:49 AM   #8
elbob

I did have an Instuctor with me most of the day and he was talking about my car having a lot of understeer and recommended me getting better tires
Old 04-21-2014, 10:52 AM   #9
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
front tires loose grip and not turn.

I did have one instance where my car pretty much went straight off the track on a tight turn
That's about par for an SS. Oodles of understeer. Having a stiffer-than-stock front sway bar is probably not helping, either.

You'll benefit hugely from a square tire setup. If fitting 305s ends up being a ton of work, you might look into 285s like the 1LE, or splitting the difference with 295s. I have never tried to fit 305s on my car(s)...and I don't know exactly how everyone's doing it...but team Camaro needed to add fender flares to get it to work & look right. So definitely do your research there.

In the meantime, you might try softening your front stabilizer (sway) bar to see if that enhances front-end grip a bit.

Once you settle on a new set of wheels/tires...you'll need to re-evaluate the sway bar settings. Run a few laps to warm the tires up, run hard (but safe), adjust sway bars...run again...rinse & repeat.

When I had the ZL1, Pete from Pedders suggested increasing the stiffness of both sway bars...but he kept the front much softer than the rear to match the offset tires of that car.

With this new 1LE, the sways are almost equal in stiffness front/rear to work with the square 285 tires...and the car (IMO) feels much more nimble and responsive, if not as powerful as the Z.

A suspension is an entire package...not just a collection of parts. But you won't really know what to do until you settle on tires, sizes, and run the car again.

I don't know if any of this helps...but it sounds like you're going to have a really good time this summer!
Old 04-21-2014, 12:12 PM   #10
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Going to be honest those motivo are not going to not be adequate for anyone above first track day

Also the nt05 would be disappointing if you expect a nice tire.

I dont know your set up, but it sounds like you could benefit greatly in the tires and alignment. Grabbing an extra set of the oem wheels and running 4 rears is a inexpensive and HEAVY option to throw some 285s on.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:58 PM   #11
Mr. Wyndham

Speaking of tires...I'm going to unashamedly plug the OE Goodyears if you'll use them for track only. They're not great in the wet, miserable in the cold....but I have yet to find another tire that sticks with the sheer grip these do when warmed up on a track. Holy Hell.

And - compared to a lot of other tires out there, they're cheap!
Old 04-21-2014, 01:14 PM   #12
elbob

would those be the Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar tires?

I'm not married to any particular wheel or tire brand yet

so far the only ones I've heard of are:

Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar tires
Michland Pss
and the Nitto nt05's

and I am in Texas when I went to the track in January it was 40-70 degrees
not too many cold days to worry about
Old 04-21-2014, 01:17 PM   #13
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
would those be the Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar tires?

I'm not married to any particular wheel or tire brand yet

so far the only ones I've heard of are:

Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar tires
Michland Pss
and the Nitto nt05's

and I am in Texas when I went to the track in January it was 40-70 degrees
not too many cold days to worry about
Yes, the Goodyear Eagle F1 (G2) Supercar.

They are OE equipment on both the ZL1 and the 1LE. Capable of over 1.0 lateral G's...and specially designed with slightly more rounded edges for the Camaro's weight and handling requirements of the ZL1 and 1LE cars.

I. Love. Them.

I've heard the Michelin Pilot Super Sports (PSS) are good, too. I think they are more biased towards daily driving and wear/noise/wet performance. Not a bad thing...just thinking out loud since it sounds like you want to get tires strictly for HPDEs.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:28 PM   #14
elbob

Yeah I will use my motivo's and stock wheels for daily driving and I want a set to put on the day before going to the track.