Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-07-2019, 07:22 AM   #15
unsocbl

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS
I daily drive my 19 2SS automatic 52 miles each way to work and average around 27mpg. As everyone mentioned, the stock Goodyears are LOUD and the wet traction seems to be getting worse each day. I'll be replacing them very shortly.
As for options, they're all great! I'm probably most surprised with the HUD and the 10spd Automatic (I've always been a manual driver). The HUD keeps your eyes on the road at all times and the auto is just super smooth and never hunts for gears.
Also, the lcd rear view mirror is pretty nice as well (it actually allows you to see behind you )
unsocbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 10:03 AM   #16
NeverDie
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
only V4 ever made in mass production was Saab back in the 60s.
That was actually produced by FORD, and used by Saab.

Lancia made V4 automotive applications as far back as the 1920s.
NeverDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 10:09 AM   #17
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverDie View Post
That was actually produced by FORD, and used by Saab.

Lancia made V4 automotive applications as far back as the 1920s.
Oh ok, that's interesting.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 10:16 AM   #18
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Well if you had a gen5 SS before then you will probably want a 6gen SS with the LT1! I see the pic of the SS in your sig but you get what you think is best for you and your financial situation!
Old 10-07-2019, 10:37 AM   #19
c4racer

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
Seems to me for highway driving the difference between V8 and V6 mpg isn't all that huge. I get 26-27. You might beat that by what 5mpg? That's 20% better? ish.
So based on 1500 miles per month commuting that is a $40 savings. Big whoop.

City driving the V6 will probably save you a bigger % - but that isn't your situation.

I would concur - given you had a 5th gen SS - get a SS or LT1 6th gen. If you were to run factory GY run flats summer tires that would cost you more for sure. But a decent high perf all season won't kill you on cost and wear with 95% highway driving.

You could probably even sell the factory GY's if you get a SS and cover the cost of your first set of all season tires that will last 50% longer.
c4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 11:52 AM   #20
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
H.. H ..H ...Hyundai Elantra...Just get any Camaro even if its a 4 banger!
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 11:55 AM   #21
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
My SS is a DD. My commute is only 8 min. in the morn. to my train station. Each day back my commute is about an hour because I take the long way. My car is a 6 speed and the car is just plane fun to drive. I drive just to be driving it.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 12:14 PM   #22
Clam

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
I would just get the Camaro as a commuter car. No point in suffering a long commute in a Hyundai if you rather be in a Camaro.
Clam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 04:01 PM   #23
DougM55

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
I just got a 2017 2SS. 33 mile daily commute each way. I went from a 2017 manual Jeep Wrangler (loved the Jeep) to this 8-speed automatic.

I’m using the 93 octane and getting a combined MPG of 21.5. The Jeep got 19 MPG. I drive on a 3-lane highway (not an interstate) with a ridiculous amount of stop lights and bumper to bumper traffic.

The extra comfort features of the 2SS and quicker pickup (really no comparison) has me smiling from ear to ear. Every time I park the car I walk away from it with a loving gaze, lol.
DougM55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 04:11 PM   #24
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
I daily drove my 2016 Camaro 1SS for two years and I've been using my 2018 SS 1LE for a year now as a daily driver. I love driving my Camaro to work and have no issues with ride/comfort etc. I also don't care about the gas mileage. Just over 20 in the SS and right at 17 in the 1LE (no AFM).

Having said that, I like a cozy tight interior. I detest seats that let me slide around in them and I like having everything in arms reach. A little road noise is fine with me. If you feel the same way, the Camaro may be right for you.

I'm going to differ with a few who have posted about snow. If you buy a Camaro with the GY super tires, you're not going to want to use them year round regardless of whether it snows or not. It gets too cold for them in Atlanta, so I'm pretty sure it will get too cold for them in Charlotte. I don't remember the specific number, but I believe if you expose them to anything under 20 degrees they're going to be permanently damaged.
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 04:18 PM   #25
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
So here is how I feel about it.

BEFORE I owned an SS, The V6 was easily enough.

AFTER owning an SS - you wont ever look back. The SS is the way to go.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 04:21 PM   #26
cbr1100xx
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 Jetta 1.8, '19 1SS
Glad I work from home. If I did have to commute, it wouldn't be in an SS.....the gas bill would suck. I guess if you have this fun backroad commute with not much traffic, the SS would be fun.

My commute used to have to be more like a "commute" so I had a Focus. Just chilled out listening to podcasts/audiobooks and got good gas mileage. An SS would have been a waste of $ for that trip.
cbr1100xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 09:05 PM   #27
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
Regarding the mileage in the V8, realistically, you are looking at 28 mpg highway. You might be able to get 30-32 in the middle of summer on a perfectly flat road going 60mph but just imagine how difficult it would be to do that. As soon as you enter the city or traffic its going to take a dive into the teens, and so most people get a combined average of around 18-22 depending on how they drive. Which is amazing for a 6.2L V8, but still not good gas mileage for a daily driver. And its premium gas you need.

Insurance will likely be a 200-500 more per year depending on your plan, for a V8.

Oil changes are also more expensive because you need 10 quarts of oil.

Tires, also more expensive. Although agree with sentiments in this thread that with a good pair of durable high performance all seasons, you could easily go 30,000 miles on a set.

To me, actually, none of that matters at all. I could afford to drive a V8 and pay the gas and insurance but I choose not to. I daily drive my 2.0T for the following reasons: number one, its 3280 pounds and feels like a go-cart. Second, it was crazy cheap...24k for a manual 2LT with heated and cooled leather seats. I could crash one at the track and buy another for the same price as one 2SS. Third and most importantly, I get to use ALL of the cars power on the street and that feels awesome. If you are daily driving a car, that's really important because there is nothing more frustrating than driving a car all the time but never getting to use the power.
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 09:26 PM   #28
Jonster

Drives: 18 2SS Vert Hotwheels
All very good points and comments. Loving this thread

Yes, I used to be a 2012 2SS convertible owner for about 2 years, but traded it in when a baby was en route for a family car. My commute when I had that car was only 8 miles. New job kicked in and I bought a practical commuter car, but have always been wanting my smiles back.

I test drive a 2018 hot wheels edition and loved it as well, but after reading about the shudders and A8 issues, if I go 2SS I’ll get a 2019+. For a V6, I simply like the newer model year looks and the OEM options.