Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 11-17-2019, 09:10 PM   #85
ProjectZL1

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
I DONT KNOW IF I AM LOOKING AT IT CORRECTLY BUT FROM WHAT I CAN SEE IT LOOKS LIKE THE FRONT SPLITTER WITH WINGLETS FROM A 1LE IS LIKE 500 BUCKS. HECK EACH LITTLE WINGLET WAS LIKE 87 BUCKS ALONE
Old 11-20-2019, 10:33 AM   #86
PROMETHEUS

Drives: 2019 ZL-1, Shadow Gray, Sold
Morning All,

I went through the thread and I know the question was asked, but I didn't see anyone with a definitive response. I want to add the 1LE splitter, which I am going to have painted Mosiac Black to match the side skirts. I don't really like the look of the 1LE grill, so my question. Does the lower grill need to be changed to the 1LE to have the 1LE splitter marry up correctly on the bottom of the grill. Thanks, Tony
PROMETHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 07:37 PM   #87
ProjectZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROMETHEUS View Post
Morning All,

I went through the thread and I know the question was asked, but I didn't see anyone with a definitive response. I want to add the 1LE splitter, which I am going to have painted Mosiac Black to match the side skirts. I don't really like the look of the 1LE grill, so my question. Does the lower grill need to be changed to the 1LE to have the 1LE splitter marry up correctly on the bottom of the grill. Thanks, Tony
I was told you can add the 1LE front splitter with out having to change to the 1LE grill and visa versa. I can tell you the front splitter and side winglets are about 400 bucks.

I plan on doing the upper and lower grill. May do the front splitter later.
Old 11-20-2019, 07:45 PM   #88
PROMETHEUS

I was going to have the 1LE splitter painted Mosaic Black, to match the side skirts and grill, so I really want to use the ZL-1 grill, but if they don't marry up correctly, so be it. I think what I am going to do, is order the 1LE splitter first and see if they fit together and go from there.
Old 11-20-2019, 09:39 PM   #89
Firecaptain

Drives: '22 Summit White ZL1 A10
Sorry for the crappy pics.....looks like the tabs on the "apron" lock into the 1LE grille.......I'll unwrap it all tomorrow and get a better look, but right now I'd say they interlock which sucks cause even if you cut the tabs, you still have the slots in the grille.....
Attached Images

Firecaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 07:26 AM   #90
PROMETHEUS

Well that answers that. Thanks Joe.
Old 11-21-2019, 09:26 AM   #91
ProjectZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firecaptain View Post
Sorry for the crappy pics.....looks like the tabs on the "apron" lock into the 1LE grille.......I'll unwrap it all tomorrow and get a better look, but right now I'd say they interlock which sucks cause even if you cut the tabs, you still have the slots in the grille.....
Interesting, look forward to more pics and info.
Old 11-21-2019, 04:35 PM   #92
Firecaptain

For those following......this is gonna be kinda long......sorry....guess I'm looking for suggestions and or support......before buyers remorse sets in...lol

Got most of the parts now.....I guess I didn't do my research very well.....I'm wracking my brain......
So the ZL1 1LE front spoiler has what I call an "apron", the "ramp" that leads up to the bottom of the 1LE lower grille and covers what was body color on a ZL1 non 1LE. It has tabs that slot into slots on the lower grille.

The 1LE splitter has a decent semi gloss sheen.....maybe a tad more shine than a matte finish, and I like it because of the winglets (they also have 1 tab that would require cutting a slot in the fender (some have just cut this tab off), but the 1LE grill has a REALLY rough texture....I mean it could almost have a grit rating like sandpaper and has NO sheen looks like flat plastic with a texture.....
Now one option.....and I'm guessing here because I haven't started pulling stuff off yet.....would be to keep the stock upper and lower grille and CUT the tabs off the "apron" of the 1LE splitter and go that route.

The other option would be to paint the 1LE grille and possibly the splitter or just the grille.

Either way, the painted parts will take the same abuse as the stock ZL1 parts on the car now.
OR......put everything on like it came out the box (my car is white).

And lastly......I won't even go into the dive plane issue....because that kinda depends on which direction I go with the other parts.......smdh....I'm either really overthinking this or nuts.....or BOTH.....thanks for listening.....
Old 11-21-2019, 04:53 PM   #93
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Firecaptain, as someone who's been in body shops for a while, I'm not sure painting the 1LE grille would ever come out right. The 1LE front end conversion is a pretty big job compared to what most make it out to be. Don't overthink it but at the same time plenty of research much be done to do it all right. I would probably vote for putting everything on like it came out of the box and see how you like it. It's the true 1LE OEM look but it's not for everyone. If you don't like it, you can go from there.

For anybody looking to order their ZL1 1LE front end conversion, or any OEM GM parts, give us a shot at GMPartsOutlet.com and see how we price out after shipping compared to others. This is the customer facing parts site of my Chevrolet store which is a sponsor here. PM me if you have questions or feedback.

Good luck!
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 08:10 PM   #94
ProjectZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firecaptain View Post
For those following......this is gonna be kinda long......sorry....guess I'm looking for suggestions and or support......before buyers remorse sets in...lol

Got most of the parts now.....I guess I didn't do my research very well.....I'm wracking my brain......
So the ZL1 1LE front spoiler has what I call an "apron", the "ramp" that leads up to the bottom of the 1LE lower grille and covers what was body color on a ZL1 non 1LE. It has tabs that slot into slots on the lower grille.

The 1LE splitter has a decent semi gloss sheen.....maybe a tad more shine than a matte finish, and I like it because of the winglets (they also have 1 tab that would require cutting a slot in the fender (some have just cut this tab off), but the 1LE grill has a REALLY rough texture....I mean it could almost have a grit rating like sandpaper and has NO sheen looks like flat plastic with a texture.....
Now one option.....and I'm guessing here because I haven't started pulling stuff off yet.....would be to keep the stock upper and lower grille and CUT the tabs off the "apron" of the 1LE splitter and go that route.

The other option would be to paint the 1LE grille and possibly the splitter or just the grille.

Either way, the painted parts will take the same abuse as the stock ZL1 parts on the car now.
OR......put everything on like it came out the box (my car is white).

And lastly......I won't even go into the dive plane issue....because that kinda depends on which direction I go with the other parts.......smdh....I'm either really overthinking this or nuts.....or BOTH.....thanks for listening.....
From what you are seeing could you do the 1LE upper and lower and keep the non 1LE front splitter? like does the area the 1LE splitter clip into the 1LE lower stick out where it can be easily seen on the car?
Old 11-21-2019, 09:02 PM   #95
CharlieRomeo

Drives: 2020 White ZLE A10
I'm getting ready to do this conversion as well. I'm just not looking forward to cutting slots in my bumper cover. I don't want to F that thing up.
CharlieRomeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 06:16 AM   #96
Firecaptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectZL1 View Post
From what you are seeing could you do the 1LE upper and lower and keep the non 1LE front splitter? like does the area the 1LE splitter clip into the 1LE lower stick out where it can be easily seen on the car?

It appears to me that the slots in the 1LE grill that the tabs on the splitter fit into would be exposed. (see crappy pics of that area I posted above)
Old 11-22-2019, 06:22 AM   #97
Firecaptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
I'm not sure painting the 1LE grille would ever come out right.

Not sure why, as the stock ZL1 grille is painted, unless you are referring to the fact that it's texture.is so rough.

The only issue I have personally is that on a 1LE the rockers and rear diffuser are all satin or matte pieces and blend in more with the "look" of the front end parts....don't think I want to dump more $$ to get those pieces now too.....

Thanks for the assistance
Old 11-22-2019, 08:32 AM   #98
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
Don't let the job scare ya it easy!

1. Use the video from lethal garage on how to remove front fascia if you do not know how to take it off..

2. Once off I suggest protecting the tips of the fascia where it mates to the fenders the paint will rub/scratch off easy on those points

3. work on a huge quilt or blanket

4. Its gonna take 2 people to pull off the bezels one to do the clips the other to keep constant pressure on it so it doesn't lock back into place

5. cutting the holes was easy drill the corners on the template and a sharp knife or exacto to cut between the lines all ready on the inside of the fender or in my case the paper template from ACS or anderson cant remember where i got it. Don't forget the winglets holes you can do on the car as well if you do you can go by where the tab contacts the fascia and make holes in that spot.

6. Installl the bezels, grill(s), splitter, and dive planes on to the fascia ( I've never tried to reuse the a ZL1 grill Iv'e all ways use the 1le grill it should fit how it looks who knows)

7. reinstall the the fascia like it came off!

worried about the flat and mosaic just get he splitter painted to match there rest.. It looks fine not having mosaic grills I think mosaic grills are ugly anyhow also the dive planes match to!

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote