Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 12-10-2023, 08:40 AM   #43
Christian1LE

Drives: 2004 BMW 330CI, 2022 1SS 1LE
Well this thread suddenly makes a lot more sense. Glad you found your issue though.
Christian1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 09:32 AM   #44
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
I am pissed. The shop is denying liability. The only thing he wants to do is throw a bolt on there and put the caliper back together which isn't something I feel terribly safe with given the caliper ate the wheel. He is refusing to pay for the wheel damage or caliper damage. I am going to have to sue him, but what makes matters worse is I lost the receipt for the work. I do have it on transaction history on my credit card, but I am unsure how that will be seen in court.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 09:44 AM   #45
CalgaryZL1

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro ZL1
If they are not willing to own up to the mistake, You can spread the word of where NOT to go for any brake work needed!

We should have a avoid like the plague sticky to give people the heads up of places like this
CalgaryZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 09:57 AM   #46
Need4Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryZL1 View Post
If they are not willing to own up to the mistake, You can spread the word of where NOT to go for any brake work needed!

We should have a avoid like the plague sticky to give people the heads up of places like this
Gumby's Performance in Leander TX.
Old 12-10-2023, 10:08 AM   #47
CTRifecta

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Sorry to hear OP. Atleast it's fixable and no permanent damage. Honestly stories like this is why I've started just leaving my car stock as I get older..
Vehicle Built (per chevy chat bot) - 10/10/23
Window sticker available online - 11/4/23
Arrived at dealership - 11/10/23
CTRifecta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 10:08 AM   #48
Christian1LE

Should leave them their first 1 star review. Make it fair and include pictures of their mistake and how they chose to resolve it.
Old 12-10-2023, 10:12 AM   #49
The Maverick
Somewhere in the Kalahari

Drives: 2021/18 (de-fresh) 3LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I am pissed. The shop is denying liability. The only thing he wants to do is throw a bolt on there and put the caliper back together which isn't something I feel terribly safe with given the caliper ate the wheel. He is refusing to pay for the wheel damage or caliper damage. I am going to have to sue him, but what makes matters worse is I lost the receipt for the work. I do have it on transaction history on my credit card, but I am unsure how that will be seen in court.
Sorry to hear about this situation! Maybe request a copy of your signed-off invoice from the shop, the one you signed or initialed after the work was completed?
The Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 10:30 AM   #50
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
If you use Red Threadlocker be cautious on which one you get some require heat to remove. I personally have always used the blue and have never had an issue.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 10:59 AM   #51
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive View Post
the caliper needs to glide on pins, and those pins need to be greased. when you get this shudder it's usually a stuck guide pin and not a warped rotor. disassemble and you may find that the caliper doesn't properly "float" and one side doesn't move easily.
All Brembo calipers used on any variant of the 6th gen Camaro are fixed, monoblock parts. They do not have guide pins like the floating calipers that are used on most vehicles.
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 11:30 AM   #52
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpevans View Post
If you use Red Threadlocker be cautious on which one you get some require heat to remove. I personally have always used the blue and have never had an issue.
Can you confirm that you track yours several times a year? Blue Threadlocker is not rated (anywhere close) for the levels of heat involved with tracking.
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 11:48 AM   #53
Christian1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by N Camarolina View Post
Can you confirm that you track yours several times a year? Blue Threadlocker is not rated (anywhere close) for the levels of heat involved with tracking.
I think hes actually ok, I've ran mine before with no locktite and it was fine. It's one of the things I checked regularly before going out on track though but it never moved in my case.
Old 12-10-2023, 12:42 PM   #54
Need4Camaro

What do you feel about what the shop is saying? The shop is swearing that he torqued them down and also used locktite. I of course, have no way of truly confirming this but I do know brake calipers don't normally just work themselves loose. I mean, a 1LE car can see extensive track use and the owner should not need to worry about going down the road checking his caliper bolts.. ..something just seems very off.. I did use the stock 2SS hub, I am assuming that doesn't need to be changed right? Should the shop still be liable even if he did "cross his tee's" so to speak?
Old 12-10-2023, 01:09 PM   #55
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
I don't know if the mounting hardware for the caliper is the same between the SS and the 1LE. But if it is, the only way your caliper could come loose from the mounting after driving 3000 road miles is if the Caliper bolts were not properly tightened in the first place (or maybe overtorqued and the bolt was damaged and subsequently broke off).

I'd verify that the mounting point and hardware is the same for the 1LE and SS calipers. If so, you have a pretty airtight argument that it's the installer's fault.
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 01:37 PM   #56
Christian1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
What do you feel about what the shop is saying? The shop is swearing that he torqued them down and also used locktite. I of course, have no way of truly confirming this but I do know brake calipers don't normally just work themselves loose. I mean, a 1LE car can see extensive track use and the owner should not need to worry about going down the road checking his caliper bolts.. ..something just seems very off.. I did use the stock 2SS hub, I am assuming that doesn't need to be changed right? Should the shop still be liable even if he did "cross his tee's" so to speak?
I'm sure that is their procedure however I am 100% certain that with street driving there is no way those would have walked out on their own, they don't even walk out on the track. This guy is just lying to cover his ass.