Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-11-2019, 11:47 AM   #29
MrRuss

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradfordCamaro View Post
Should have brought it to JDP. They get 455HP without the Exhaust or E85.
So your saying that JDP can get 455 at the wheels with CAI and ported TB/IM alone, no E85??

According to their web site, their stage 1 with CAI, Katech TB, MSD IM and tune will gain 45HP. Our cars stock (for A8) is ~ 380 - 385 HP at the wheels, add 45HP and that nets ~430HP max at the wheels.

The mods I have should have gotten me closer to 450HP at the wheels.

With tuning: (conservatively)
Roto Fab CAI - 10HP
Ported Soler TB - 5HP
LT's with off road pipes - 30HP
Flex fuel - 20HP

= 450 WHP

Or am I wrong??

Tim "the tool man" Taylor is my hero

My Garage:
'16 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS, Summit White, Adrenaline Red
-- Rotofab CAI, Soler TB, 1 7/8 coated LT's, Full 3" mids, 3" Stainless Works NPP mufflers, Flex Fuel, E85/91 tuned
'20 Honda Oddysey Elite 25th Anniversary Edition
--wifes car, she said "No more SUV's" after the 2 CX-9's totaled

Last edited by MrRuss; 08-11-2019 at 12:02 PM.
MrRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 01:33 PM   #30
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
I’d agree with most of that.

Flex fuel is worth 20hp over a 93 tune(10hp) so 30hp total

Or LTs are worth 20

Tb plus rotofab I’d say 10hp together

But yeah you’re not close. There’s something off.

I wanted to see the latest graph. the fueling will let us know if they remotely understand tuning a gen 5
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 05:57 PM   #31
drjm91

Drives: 2016 1ss
MrRuss:
I had kind of the same issue with the very loud exhaust. My 2016 1ss setup has the StainlessWorks headers. I paired it with the same brand muffler = piss the neighbor bad.
My local muffler guy suggested the Borla mufflers. Went that way, problem solved! Only loud when you step on it hard. Otherwise you can cruise and no drone. Hope this helps
drjm91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 06:22 AM   #32
AlphaCamaro7

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, NPP, A8, FBO, E85
i made 422.5 from a mustang dyno, no tune with just Rotofab CAI. so those numbers are def off by a lot. you need to get it re tuned by someone who knows what they're doing.
Old 08-12-2019, 06:26 AM   #33
parbreak

Drives: 2017 50th Camaro SS
I put down 413 to the rear wheels bone stock. Of course that's changed just a bit with the
ProCharger, lol!
50th Anniversary Edition |Borla Atak and 60606 mid pipes| Kooks 1 7/8" | ProCharger Stage II |305/45/17 DRs | Circle D 3500 stall | LT4 fueling | Custom made Lowside Aux Pump | Alky Control Meth | DSX E85
parbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 07:37 AM   #34
AlphaCamaro7

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, NPP, A8, FBO, E85
Quote:
Originally Posted by parbreak View Post
I put down 413 to the rear wheels bone stock. Of course that's changed just a bit with the
ProCharger, lol!
whatre you at now? lol
Old 08-12-2019, 09:45 AM   #35
BradfordCamaro
SABIO

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRuss View Post
So your saying that JDP can get 455 at the wheels with CAI and ported TB/IM alone, no E85??

According to their web site, their stage 1 with CAI, Katech TB, MSD IM and tune will gain 45HP. Our cars stock (for A8) is ~ 380 - 385 HP at the wheels, add 45HP and that nets ~430HP max at the wheels.

The mods I have should have gotten me closer to 450HP at the wheels.

With tuning: (conservatively)
Roto Fab CAI - 10HP
Ported Soler TB - 5HP
LT's with off road pipes - 30HP
Flex fuel - 20HP

= 450 WHP

Or am I wrong??
JDP has a post here. Check it out

BradfordCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 10:19 AM   #36
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
what does the car trap? what kind of dyno? putting any stock in final dyno numbers is silly, to say the least.
Old 08-12-2019, 11:24 PM   #37
asthmamax11

Drives: 1SS Summit White 6 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by s346k View Post
what does the car trap? what kind of dyno? putting any stock in final dyno numbers is silly, to say the least.
In this case I have to disagree. There are LOTS of "tuners" that have tuned LS motors and Mustangs that will happily take your money to tune your 6th Gen or C7.

Very FEW of them know a damn thing about what they're doing on these.

A GM performance specialty shop up here in the North GA mtns did a cam package on my buddy's 16 Camaro.
He blew his engine a week later tune was completely off and owner supplied a newish motor but still 2 months of downtime...

Local long time GM specialty shop did my Heartbeat install then owner tuned it.
Completely screwed up the tune despite post tune dyno reading 589 whp
Lol
Took it to Vengeance Racing and Mike took care of it.
He sat down with me and showed me everything screwed up with it. Now it is running right.

100% don't trust your LT1 to anyone but a very reputable tuner who has DOCUMENTED work/builds/customers with these specific cars. It is a very expensive lesson.
$900+ for me...
Solo Performance Cat deletes and Axleback
Hurst short shifter
#'s coming soon

Riaction coilovers
1LE sway bars
BMR mm
BMR chassis brace

Flow one 19" wheels wrapped in Mickey Thompsons

02 Z28 M6 35th anniversary
80k miles
T-tops
Leather
Bolt ons
Joy to drive this classic every day!
Daily Driver
asthmamax11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 01:23 AM   #38
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
Quote:
Originally Posted by asthmamax11 View Post
In this case I have to disagree. There are LOTS of "tuners" that have tuned LS motors and Mustangs that will happily take your money to tune your 6th Gen or C7.

Very FEW of them know a damn thing about what they're doing on these.

A GM performance specialty shop up here in the North GA mtns did a cam package on my buddy's 16 Camaro.
He blew his engine a week later tune was completely off and owner supplied a newish motor but still 2 months of downtime...

Local long time GM specialty shop did my Heartbeat install then owner tuned it.
Completely screwed up the tune despite post tune dyno reading 589 whp
Lol
Took it to Vengeance Racing and Mike took care of it.
He sat down with me and showed me everything screwed up with it. Now it is running right.

100% don't trust your LT1 to anyone but a very reputable tuner who has DOCUMENTED work/builds/customers with these specific cars. It is a very expensive lesson.
$900+ for me...
what exactly are you disagreeing with? i don’t see where you made the connection. your post regards the tune itself, not the final number vs real world performance, as my post did. i made no reference to the quality of tune.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:15 AM   #39
DorkMissile

Drives: 18 1SS 1LE HyperBlue
In all honesty - the number IMO isn't that far off, particularly for running E50. All of that exhaust work is going to net you maybe 6-8 peak hp.

First the fuel - E50 is 50% ethanol and 50% 87 octane gasoline, which nets you 93-95 octane. Get a good batch of E85 into it and that alone will jump 10pts. You had no advantage over premium pump gas.

Second - though they are solid upgrades, most of your mods are the type of thing you need to support more air flow thru the engine. The factory exhaust is pretty much maximized right from the factory for the airflow the engine makes stock. Eliminating the cats did more for you (power wise) than everything else. The factory manifolds on the LT1 are actually not that bad flow wise, and the rest of the exhaust is 2-3/4". A lot of the headers advertise 12-20hp, but that also includes a tune.

Good news is that you are setup to go full smack in the future. Throw in a BTR Stg2 cam and a good tank of E85 with a retune and you will probably pick up 40whp as you have all of the other supporting mods.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:26 AM   #40
Umbriel

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorkMissile View Post
In all honesty - the number IMO isn't that far off, particularly for running E50. All of that exhaust work is going to net you maybe 6-8 peak hp.

First the fuel - E50 is 50% ethanol and 50% 87 octane gasoline, which nets you 93-95 octane. Get a good batch of E85 into it and that alone will jump 10pts. You had no advantage over premium pump gas.

Second - though they are solid upgrades, most of your mods are the type of thing you need to support more air flow thru the engine. The factory exhaust is pretty much maximized right from the factory for the airflow the engine makes stock. Eliminating the cats did more for you (power wise) than everything else. The factory manifolds on the LT1 are actually not that bad flow wise, and the rest of the exhaust is 2-3/4". A lot of the headers advertise 12-20hp, but that also includes a tune.

Good news is that you are setup to go full smack in the future. Throw in a BTR Stg2 cam and a good tank of E85 with a retune and you will probably pick up 40whp as you have all of the other supporting mods.

I agree, on full E85 mine made 431 with basically the same mods and I picked up 5-6 mph at the track so I know it was making a lot more power. Dynos can read all over the place, that is why you get a baseline and then I final to see how much you picked up. On a cooler day with more alcohol content your dyno would probably be close to mine. I laugh when I see these guys boasting these huge dynos where the car made 460 rwhp with just a CAI and muffler delete, I always ask what does the car trap? Dynos can be configured to read anything people want but trap speed will always tell the truth.
Umbriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:59 AM   #41
grampa_ss

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbriel View Post
I agree, on full E85 mine made 431 with basically the same mods and I picked up 5-6 mph at the track so I know it was making a lot more power. Dynos can read all over the place, that is why you get a baseline and then I final to see how much you picked up. On a cooler day with more alcohol content your dyno would probably be close to mine. I laugh when I see these guys boasting these huge dynos where the car made 460 rwhp with just a CAI and muffler delete, I always ask what does the car trap? Dynos can be configured to read anything people want but trap speed will always tell the truth.
This.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:27 AM   #42
JDP Motorsports

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/ 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
I would not throw good money after bad.. a bad tune can mess your ride up. Pray and Cunningham are been both excellent top notch. Other vendors here have stellar reps. Just look at JDP's dyno... simply amazing.
Thank you for the kind words!
JDP Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote