Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

AWE Tuning

Old 08-07-2019, 01:59 PM   #1
HouseStark

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
HPDE sessions worth it or not?

I was given some great direction by members of NASA and the director of the Great Lakes Region himself but it leaves me wondering if it worth it. Looking at the schedule the only track nearest me is Mid-Ohio. The driver HPDE class I would be, levels 1-2, are not offered at Mid-Ohio the rest of the year but at Gingerman or Pitt International.

Is the 6 hour drive worth the day? It looks like it will cost 450 which I'm ok with but does anyone know how much seat time you really get with these events? It's proving so much more difficult to get on a road course then a drag strip. I understand why it's harder, namely all the staff needed, but still there's maybe one event a month I can actually attend.
HouseStark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 03:36 PM   #2
Provoste

Drives: E46 S54 race car, 964C2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseStark View Post
I was given some great direction by members of NASA and the director of the Great Lakes Region himself but it leaves me wondering if it worth it. Looking at the schedule the only track nearest me is Mid-Ohio. The driver HPDE class I would be, levels 1-2, are not offered at Mid-Ohio the rest of the year but at Gingerman or Pitt International.

Is the 6 hour drive worth the day? It looks like it will cost 450 which I'm ok with but does anyone know how much seat time you really get with these events? It's proving so much more difficult to get on a road course then a drag strip. I understand why it's harder, namely all the staff needed, but still there's maybe one event a month I can actually attend.
Where are you located? There are plenty of fully instructed events at Mid Ohio this year still, Mid Ohio Porsche Club and Ohio Valley Porsche Club have events in September and October. Check out clubregistration.net and motorsportreg.com, those are the two major sites where you can look at who all has what tracks. By the way, Porshce Clubs around here coudn't care less what car make/model you bring to the track. I instruct with NASA/PCA/Chin, etc.
Provoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 04:09 PM   #3
Tim M

I know the feeling - I drive 6 hours (round trip) just to get a few laps in...not everyone is surrounded by road courses.
Old 08-07-2019, 04:23 PM   #4
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
As Provoste suggested, check into PCA events. Open to all makes, well run and structured for all levels of students/learning. Also, often the best deal and almost always 2 day events which makes a long drive conpletely worth it. BMW clubs ditto btw.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 04:59 PM   #5
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
For your seat time question, in Texas HPDE events are usually 3-5 20-30 minute sessions per day depending on the organization. Definitely start with a group that offers in car instructors. Some have classroom instruction sessions too between your time on track. Also definitely ride along with one of the instructors or advanced students if that is offered. It will really open your eyes to the true limits of a car when driven by a skilled driver!
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 05:20 PM   #6
seanblurr

Drives: ZL1 1LE
Not with NASA, no.
Old 08-07-2019, 05:43 PM   #7
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
ive always wanted to sign up for nasa but i dont race enough so guess its not worth it but i just do speedventures or similiar track organazation and we normally get 4-5 sessions of 20 minutes or so and its way more than enough for me some guys even do both days which is a ton of track time for one weekend !
Old 08-07-2019, 08:11 PM   #8
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE, 2004 Cobra
https://www.tracknightinamerica.com/events

https://timetrials.scca.com/events
Old 08-07-2019, 08:16 PM   #9
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
go here and search for events in your area. Best ones have instructors and class room time. www.motorsportreg.com
carguy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 10:00 PM   #10
HouseStark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Provoste View Post
Where are you located? There are plenty of fully instructed events at Mid Ohio this year still, Mid Ohio Porsche Club and Ohio Valley Porsche Club have events in September and October. Check out clubregistration.net and motorsportreg.com, those are the two major sites where you can look at who all has what tracks. By the way, Porshce Clubs around here coudn't care less what car make/model you bring to the track. I instruct with NASA/PCA/Chin, etc.
I was just going to ask if it needed to be a Porsche car. Well since you’re A NASA instructor maybe you can help. I live in Cleveland so my closest track is Nelson Ledges but second closest is Mid-Ohio. I’m a member but very new to NASA and was instructed to check the schedule. I saw for certain at least one even left for the year at Mid-Ohio but it said HPDE 3 or 4. I’m a bit confused because it seems like I tell NASA what level I’m at or do I progress through? Cause I’d like to race at what is close to me. Also I’ll check out club registration. Thanks for the info.
Old 08-07-2019, 10:02 PM   #11
HouseStark

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrptrks View Post
For your seat time question, in Texas HPDE events are usually 3-5 20-30 minute sessions per day depending on the organization. Definitely start with a group that offers in car instructors. Some have classroom instruction sessions too between your time on track. Also definitely ride along with one of the instructors or advanced students if that is offered. It will really open your eyes to the true limits of a car when driven by a skilled driver!
Are those session times good?
Old 08-07-2019, 10:03 PM   #12
HouseStark

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanblurr View Post
Not with NASA, no.
Would SCCA be better or one of the other clubs previously mentioned?
Old 08-07-2019, 10:04 PM   #13
HouseStark

I’ll check it out thanks
Old 08-07-2019, 10:05 PM   #14
HouseStark

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy55 View Post
go here and search for events in your area. Best ones have instructors and class room time. www.motorsportreg.com
I’ll look thank you sir