Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-24-2019, 09:38 AM   #29
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by n1njam005e View Post
This is some good advice and chatter.

I have the stock exhaust and everything from factory for my car. I just bought it this past March and have done nothing yet.

I guess I was under a misconception that headers and new exhaust GAVE a modest HP gain?

So all headers and new exhaust do is make it louder? Where do I get my HP gains from then?

I could not even bother with anything other than headers, long tube I assume would be better. Then I could just run stock exhaust?

I also have a CAI cold intake inbound so I guess there is this small HP boost

Thanks all
10-15whp gain from deleting the cats and 15whp gain from long tube headers. No power to be gained anywhere else in the exhaust.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 11:02 AM   #30
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
10-15whp gain from deleting the cats and 15whp gain from long tube headers. No power to be gained anywhere else in the exhaust.
I’m hearing the mid pipe for automatics too. That’s hearsay for me. The afm valves bottle neck there
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 11:04 AM   #31
KingLT1

CSP made 800whp through the stock NPP from the headers back on a A10 ZL1. They swapped it for a AFE cat back it was only like a couple HP difference.
Old 07-24-2019, 12:09 PM   #32
6spdhyperblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
CSP made 800whp through the stock NPP from the headers back on a A10 ZL1. They swapped it for a AFE cat back it was only like a couple HP difference.
I think the Z has 3” mids stock? Idk maybe the Z is different. A shop reported that it necks down on the mid pipe specifically at the afm valves on autos and that there’s low hanging fruit there. Idk if I can find them
Old 07-24-2019, 10:11 PM   #33
KingLT1

No that is the crush section after the afm valves. The ZL1 has it, still no extra power to be had from removing it.
Old 07-24-2019, 10:47 PM   #34
n1njam005e

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS
This is overwhelming. Is it even worth trying to match up long tube headers with x pipes or cats or axle back lol

I like the way my car sounds right now with the exhaust that came with it. I guess that is called the NPP dual exhaust and considered axle back? or cat back? I just thought it would be easier to just make it louder and get some extra HP, I do have to keep the cats and mufflers though as it is illegal to remove them where I am.

I do appreciate all the help everyone I just don't know if I want to be bothered with this too much, especially not knowing all the terminology or what comes out and what stays in.

I just wish I can say hey so and so here is some money get me a different exhaust and headers or whole system.

I will stop now as I am spiralling here lol

Thanks again though guys
n1njam005e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 04:47 PM   #35
n1njam005e

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
What type of catback exhaust do you have currently? NPP exhaust from the factory and long tube headers is a great combination, IMO. However, if you have one of the quieter systems then a full exhaust is definitely the way to go. As for long tube headers the sky is the limit on what you want to spend. Here are some forum favorites based off of price range:

Higher priced: Kooks, ARH, Stainless Works
Mid priced: OBX, Texas Speed, Stainless Power
Budget priced: Speed Engineering

It all depends on what you're after. One drawback of the Speed Engineering headers is that they don't sell high flow cats with your headers. If you need/want high flow cats you'll either need to source from someone like Texas Speed or step up to the mid priced headers for a minimal amount more. Otherwise if you don't need high flow cats and are looking for an inexpensive header then Speed Engineering is a good choice. Personally I'm running Kooks with high flow cats with the headers ceramic coated and I couldn't be happier with my choice.

I do have the NPP and only want to change the headers from stock to long tube. I like the stock exhaust and want to leave the entire exhaust the same with the exception of the headers. I just don't know what brand will just "attach" to the stock exhaust. I just want long tube headers to attach to the stock exhaust if this is possible, leaving everthing else on lol. I am so green when it comes to this that I feel like I am treading water.

I am not too concerned about price point, I just want the stock headers to come out and the new long tubes to drop in and attach to the entire exhaust stock. I hope this makes sense but perhaps someone in here can dumb in down for me, if need be.

I hope this will give anyone in this thread an idea on what I want to do.

Thanks all for the replies!
Old 08-08-2019, 05:46 PM   #36
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Quote:
Originally Posted by n1njam005e View Post
I do have the NPP and only want to change the headers from stock to long tube. I like the stock exhaust and want to leave the entire exhaust the same with the exception of the headers. I just don't know what brand will just "attach" to the stock exhaust. I just want long tube headers to attach to the stock exhaust if this is possible, leaving everthing else on lol. I am so green when it comes to this that I feel like I am treading water.

I am not too concerned about price point, I just want the stock headers to come out and the new long tubes to drop in and attach to the entire exhaust stock. I hope this makes sense but perhaps someone in here can dumb in down for me, if need be.

I hope this will give anyone in this thread an idea on what I want to do.

Thanks all for the replies!
Any name brand headers, budget to high priced will bolt right up. It all depends on what you're wanting to pay, warranty, where it's made, tech support, etc.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 07:49 AM   #37
n1njam005e

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
Any name brand headers, budget to high priced will bolt right up. It all depends on what you're wanting to pay, warranty, where it's made, tech support, etc.
Thanks for that. I hate to ask but can you send me some links to actual headers that could just bolt to the stock exhaust. This will help me get a better idea and narrow the sea of searches I have been doing?

Price point is flexible.

Thanks in advance @pyroguy

One more thing.... If I ordered let's say the kooks long tube headers with green cats would both of these items (the headers and cats) just bolt to the exhaust or would I skip on the green cats? I found a link to headers and cats https://www.chevyhardcore.com/tech-s...-tube-headers/ and ask you if this link's content will be something I could just get bolted to the exhaust stock thus saving the NPP and rest of the stock exhaust?

Last edited by n1njam005e; 08-09-2019 at 08:08 AM.
Old 08-09-2019, 08:14 AM   #38
GreatWhiteLT

Drives: 2016 Silver Ice Metallic SS
Are you looking to have catted connections or off road connections? Because I believe no matter which one you get, you will have to cut your factory exhaust a couple inches from the headers side since the headers are much longer than the factory shorty headers
GreatWhiteLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 08:19 AM   #39
n1njam005e

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhiteLT View Post
Are you looking to have catted connections or off road connections? Because I believe no matter which one you get, you will have to cut your factory exhaust a couple inches from the headers side since the headers are much longer than the factory shorty headers
I want to leave cats on the exhaust but would not be against switching out the factory cats and upgrading to high flow ones. It appears that the stock NPP would have to be cut now regardless because of the long tubes being longer. This is what I am beginning to gather.
Old 08-09-2019, 08:30 AM   #40
6spdhyperblue

You sound like you want 1-7/8 headers with cats
Old 08-09-2019, 08:31 AM   #41
GreatWhiteLT

Drives: 2016 Silver Ice Metallic SS
Yeah any type of header you get would require cutting on the back end towards then engine unless you went with shorty headers, which don't have much gain to them so they are a little pointless. A lot of companies sell high flow cats which work well, taking the cats off gains a few hp. You will still have full functionality of the NPP which is a big plus since you can put the car in stealth mode and quiet the start up down. I know depending on tuners, if you are worried about a loud start up, in HP Tuners there is a way to turn down the loud start up. Just some food for thought.
GreatWhiteLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 08:46 AM   #42
n1njam005e

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhiteLT View Post
Yeah any type of header you get would require cutting on the back end towards then engine unless you went with shorty headers, which don't have much gain to them so they are a little pointless. A lot of companies sell high flow cats which work well, taking the cats off gains a few hp. You will still have full functionality of the NPP which is a big plus since you can put the car in stealth mode and quiet the start up down. I know depending on tuners, if you are worried about a loud start up, in HP Tuners there is a way to turn down the loud start up. Just some food for thought.
This link is what I am considering.... with the GREENCATS..... https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...h420/overview/ will this bolt to the stock NPP exhaust?

I think these are the headers and cats I am looking for....