Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-29-2019, 07:28 PM   #1
Yellow BB

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 2SS
Optional 6M Short Shifter

Has anyone installed the optional short shifter?
What’s the advantage over the stock shifter?
Is it difficult to install?
Yellow BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 08:27 PM   #2
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Go hurst
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 09:44 PM   #3
Yellow BB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdhyperblue View Post
Go hurst
Nope, I don’t want to void any warranty & I have a $500 voucher for GM accessories. I just want to know about the Chevrolet short shifter.
Old 06-29-2019, 10:17 PM   #4
Booher

Drives: 2019 zl1 6 speed
I believe the gm short throw shifter is only 8% reduced throw, hardly making it worth it. That's why everyone always suggest the Hurst, which is 40% with the ball or 32% with the stock shift knob, I think is what i read. The driveshaft needs to be removed and transmission needs to be lowered a little as well. That's why I haven't bought one yet, lol!
Booher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 06:43 AM   #5
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Hurst will not void warranty. Gm short shifter is barely noticeable. Consensus is that it’s not worth it
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 09:06 AM   #6
Yellow BB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdhyperblue View Post
Hurst will not void warranty. Gm short shifter is barely noticeable. Consensus is that it’s not worth it
I’m a bit confused on the actual purpose of a short shifter. Why is there so much difference between the Hurst & GM? How much of a difference is noticeable over stock?
Old 06-30-2019, 09:39 AM   #7
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
I think that’s the same shifter Chevy puts in the SS 1LE and the ZL1 /ZL1 1LE. If it is then it’s a decent shifter in my opinion and I like the one in my ZL1! The throw is shorter than the one in my gone 2016 SS and it feels better shifting too. If you can deal with the microsuede knob and boot then it would be a good addition to your SS. It would be a pain to install just like the Hurst shifter and for that reason might not be worth the time or money to do. That’s just my opinion but you do what you want because it’s your Camaro!
Old 06-30-2019, 09:44 AM   #8
LT4Greg

I’m not knocking Hurst shifters either as 3 of my Camaros over the years have had Hurst shifters and I really liked them especially the one I installed in my 2010 2SS! It really did make a difference over the stock shifter and looked good too.
Old 06-30-2019, 09:52 AM   #9
LT4Greg

Yellow, the throw between the gears is shorter and the shifter gate is not as wide either. Basically you can hit the gears quicker with a short throw shifter especially if you are racing or driving the car fast without fear of missing a gear. It’s hard for me to explain but if you drove a Camaro with either a Hurst shifter or even the GMPP one you could tell and feel the difference over the OEM unit!
Old 06-30-2019, 11:16 AM   #10
LT4Greg

Or since you have a $500 voucher for GM Accessories then why don’t you consider the GMPP Air Intake system for your SS. I gives a slight increase in hp and sound too and really looks good in the engine compartment! That would be a good mod and wouldn’t void your warranty either. Btw, a Hurst shifter wouldn’t either!
Old 07-03-2019, 02:45 PM   #11
StPeteHyper2.0

Drives: '16 Hyper Blue 2.0
If you are going to go through the trouble of swapping shifters, then go for the Hurst. Removing driveshaft and lowering transmission is easier than you think. Did it on wheel ramps and Jack stands in a few hours.
StPeteHyper2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 03:10 PM   #12
Dixie ZL1
NOXQCES ZL1

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
I installed the Hurst and absolutely love it. Much shorter throw and improved accuracy. Shift effort is slightly greater, but not a big deal. I chose the white ball for nostalgia back to my youth.

I wouldn’t attempt install of any short shifter without a lift. You need to completely remove the exhaust and driveshaft and then tilt the trans down enough to access a couple pins that are a PITA to remove.

Great mod all things considered and it won’t affect your warranty.
Attached Images

Dixie ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 03:19 PM   #13
Yellow BB

Thanks for the replies - this mod is officially on the shelf. WAY too much work for what it’s worth. I don’t hate our shifting, I just think it could be much better for a car this sophisticated.
Old 07-03-2019, 05:03 PM   #14
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie ZL1 View Post
I installed the Hurst and absolutely love it. Much shorter throw and improved accuracy. Shift effort is slightly greater, but not a big deal. I chose the white ball for nostalgia back to my youth.

I wouldn’t attempt install of any short shifter without a lift. You need to completely remove the exhaust and driveshaft and then tilt the trans down enough to access a couple pins that are a PITA to remove.

Great mod all things considered and it won’t affect your warranty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow BB View Post
Thanks for the replies - this mod is officially on the shelf. WAY too much work for what it’s worth. I don’t hate our shifting, I just think it could be much better for a car this sophisticated.
A lift would be nice to have, but I installed mine on some wooden ramps in my garage. The install really isn't that bad. I documented in the .pdf file at the bottom of this thread (an edited version of the Hurst instructions). https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=14

The Hurst is really nice and minimizes the chances of ever missing a gear (particularly on the 2-3 shift).

I'd recommend checking out a SS 1LE (same as GMPP short shifter) at a dealer to determine if the improvement in shift feel and throw is worth it to you. Don't let the install scare you from moving forward with it though, it really isn't too bad to install on your own.

With that said, if I had a $500 voucher, I think I'd put that toward the GM lowering/handling kit -- see info here: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=542333

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote