Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-14-2019, 03:24 PM   #85
wrankin
Camaros Of Northwest Ohio

Drives: 2016 Black 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Sorry, but your link may be broken.

I think this is what you intended? http://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/08/...sion-problems/
Edited the link in that post. Thanks

Bill
2013 2SS / RS - AGM / Jet Black (sold)
1970 1/2 Z/28 Classic Copper / Tan (sold many years ago)
wrankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 03:38 PM   #86
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrankin View Post
Edited the link in that post. Thanks

Bill
Thank you for posting it! It really looks very much like good news. Naturally, I remain somewhat suspicious, but I hope it is true.
Old 08-18-2019, 01:43 PM   #87
Wonkymom

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Mine is doing it again- so sick of this!!!
Wonkymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 02:20 PM   #88
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonkymom View Post
That's a drag. Can you confirm what the part number was for the fluid that they used?
Old 08-19-2019, 10:02 AM   #89
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonkymom View Post
Did you have the new flush/fill with the new Mobil 1 fluid this year?

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 12:12 PM   #90
Elite Engineering

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Again to remind all, it is a poor design in the torque converter itself. The shudder is from aeration of the fluid and the flushes and new fluid is only a Temporary band aid to get you past the warranty period. And what occurs is a loss of hydraulic pressure to keep the frictions and steels clamped securely, so the shudder is parts slipping as the pressure fluctuates to them. This DOES cause damage over time and even the replacement TC from GM is the same poor design. The only real fix is a purpose built converter. Just ask via email if you want more info:

Tech@EliteEngineeringUSA.com

Cheers!!
Elite Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 01:03 PM   #91
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Engineering View Post
Again to remind all, it is a poor design in the torque converter itself. The shudder is from aeration of the fluid and the flushes and new fluid is only a Temporary band aid to get you past the warranty period. And what occurs is a loss of hydraulic pressure to keep the frictions and steels clamped securely, so the shudder is parts slipping as the pressure fluctuates to them. This DOES cause damage over time and even the replacement TC from GM is the same poor design. The only real fix is a purpose built converter. Just ask via email if you want more info:

Tech@EliteEngineeringUSA.com

Cheers!!
Why would GM's engineers design it that way? Is there some upside to that aspect of the design? Wasn't there something in the TSBs about the old fluid being hygroscopic and that causing problems?
Old 08-27-2019, 10:28 AM   #92
Elite Engineering

Drives: 2010 Camaro
EMOTO,

GM did not design this to have the issue, the A8 was a new trans for the 2016 Model year and this did not pop up in the testing ahead of release. So it surly was not intentional. Just a design flaw that would cost far too much to fix properly so the fluid flush and change band aid is what they are doing. The goal is to get the problem vehicles past the warranty period as it is a huge liability. The solutions are there for this wishing to fix it themselves, but that's about it. On average, the US car buyer will trade within 3 years and have less than 36k miles on it, so far more cost effective to let it play out at this point.

Hope this answers your question.
Elite Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 08:26 AM   #93
Mgsouthwest2001

Drives: 18 Camaro 2SS 8A Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Engineering View Post
EMOTO,

GM did not design this to have the issue, the A8 was a new trans for the 2016 Model year and this did not pop up in the testing ahead of release. So it surly was not intentional. Just a design flaw that would cost far too much to fix properly so the fluid flush and change band aid is what they are doing. The goal is to get the problem vehicles past the warranty period as it is a huge liability. The solutions are there for this wishing to fix it themselves, but that's about it. On average, the US car buyer will trade within 3 years and have less than 36k miles on it, so far more cost effective to let it play out at this point.

Hope this answers your question.

You are just trying to capitalize on people's concern over this and fuel their fears to hawk your own product. I find that irritating. I didn't buy an over 40K car with a warranty to have to buy some stupid aftermarket part to fix an issue. So far the new fluid flush is working on my Camaro but if the shudder comes back I will just get rid of the thing before I spend my own money fixing something GM is responsible for.
Old 08-28-2019, 08:42 AM   #94
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgsouthwest2001 View Post
You are just trying to capitalize on people's concern over this and fuel their fears to hawk your own product. I find that irritating. I didn't buy an over 40K car with a warranty to have to buy some stupid aftermarket part to fix an issue. So far the new fluid flush is working on my Camaro but if the shudder comes back I will just get rid of the thing before I spend my own money fixing something GM is responsible for.
To some extent, I feel the same way, but to be fair, it is also possible that Elite is sincere and has ways of eliminating the problem, should it re-occur. I can't say for sure.

Additionally, someone posted this in another thread; an additive that is claimed to help, and someone replied that it had helped their car:

Here: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...2#post10606692
Old 08-29-2019, 12:34 PM   #95
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgsouthwest2001 View Post
I'm on your side here, but unfortunately you'll likely spend more money on your trade than you would have doing a TC swap. I guess it doesn't matter if you would have been trading it soon anyways, but just saying. Noone will want to buy the car if they test drive it and it shudders like crazy.
Old 08-29-2019, 02:56 PM   #96
MANNAXMAN

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Sorry for the late response guys. This is something I posted in another thread:
Quote:
The updated TSB states:

"Vehicles that are presented with TCC shudder should have the appropriate fluid exchange procedure completed. Diagnosis beyond the customer complaint is not required if vehicle was built prior to production dates indicated above"...which for the Camaro, is Feb 1, 2019.

Go to your dealer armed with this information. If they say a diagnosis is required, direct them to the July 8th revision for 18-NA-355.
Anyone have the actual July revision of the TSB? I went to a local dealership with a printed copy of the image KMP posted, with the text "Diagnosis beyond the customer complaint is not required if vehicle was built prior to production dates indicated above" highlighted. The responses I received were "This is for a Colorado" (I had to explain that the same trans/TCC are used in multiple vehicles) and "We still need a transmission tech to diagnose the issue."
1961 Volkswagen Beetle with Sliding Ragtop Sunroof (2009-Present)
1964 Volkswagen Beetle with aftermarket Sliding Ragtop Sunroof (Sold)
Follow me on Instagram - @gen6_2ss_vert
MANNAXMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 02:19 PM   #97
formare
The Milano

Drives: 2017 Firefly ShipWorks
Just had my work done - definitely made a huge difference. Work was completed a few weeks ago. So far, excellent results. Feels like the shifts are better than when it was new.
Old 09-18-2019, 03:12 PM   #98
MANNAXMAN

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by i007spectre View Post
So when you guys are contacting your dealership are you giving them the TSB number or just describing the issue?
I have provided the TSB # and described the issue. Two local dealerships still say they need to diagnose it prior to performing the service as described in the TSB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i007spectre View Post
Took my car in yesterday and told them about the issue. They didn't even take the car for a drive and agreed to do the flush. Waiting for the call today to pick up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Dudebozo View Post
Took mine into the local dealer. They send the recent TSB said to go ahead and flush without needing to replicate the issue. All said and done, car is driving great.
i007spectre and The_Dudebozo - How big are the dealerships you took your cars to? The two closest to me are pretty big and apparently don't offer that type of customer service, even when you have documentation indicating a diagnosis isn't required. I spoke with service managers at both locations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywrench View Post
Do you have that TSB number? I felt what I think was the dreaded shutter yesterday and called the dealer today and he's insisting they have to test drive it before they'll flush it.
I'm getting the same spiel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
FYI to everyone, It was more or less stated above, but the latest version of the shudder TSB now states to go ahead and just do the flush if it has not yet been performed. This is good news, and what GM should have done from the beginning with this latest fluid if they were so confident in it.

It also makes it sound as though the factories switched over to the new fluid in February of 2019, so 8 speeds built after that date should be good to go.
The replies I'm getting from service managers are along the lines of "They are service bulletins and just a reference for the technicians. We still need to diagnose and confirm that the issue matches what is described in the TSB."

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANNAXMAN View Post
Anyone have the actual July revision of the TSB? I went to a local dealership with a printed copy of the image KMP posted, with the text "Diagnosis beyond the customer complaint is not required if vehicle was built prior to production dates indicated above" highlighted. The responses I received were "This is for a Colorado" (I had to explain that the same trans/TCC are used in multiple vehicles) and "We still need a transmission tech to diagnose the issue."
I found the latest version of TSB 18-NA-355 two weeks ago.
1961 Volkswagen Beetle with Sliding Ragtop Sunroof (2009-Present)
1964 Volkswagen Beetle with aftermarket Sliding Ragtop Sunroof (Sold)
Follow me on Instagram - @gen6_2ss_vert
MANNAXMAN is offline   Reply With Quote