Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-31-2019, 02:38 PM   #15
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-99SS View Post
Decent article.

I'm not sure roominess and trunk space make a good "convertible" as per the writer though. The Wrangler they mentioned would be a much better pick than the Mustang.

A sporting convertible is about the drive and total experience. They were clear which of the two were better in that regard.
If I had to guess it came down to the author basically saying everything we dislike in the coupe gets worse with the convertible. In this case the performance was not able overcome it.

If I am buying a drop top I know going into that I am making concessions with certain things. Knowing the trunk is pretty much completely useless with the top down would be a deal breaker for me. Not being able to put some small luggage in the trunk, put the top down and take weekend road trip would suck. Especially knowing there is a similar performing, similar sized, similar cost option available from another make
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 09:27 PM   #16
Idaho2018GTPremium

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Sorry guys, but the Camaro's interior design and styling is terrible IMO (subjective, obviously). The exaggerated bumps above the gauge cluster are awful looking, and the gauges themselves look very generic. The sea of black plastic looks bad with no contrast. Overall, its styling looks poor compared to the GT's array of textures and better styling. And that steering wheel?? Ick.

Performance is basically identical, skidpad, figure-8 times, acceleration times (0-60 and 1/4 mile), except the GT trapped slightly more mph, not surprising given its slight hp advantage. The Mustang's handling isn't as good feeling, but it's good enough to be just as fast as the SS, despite inspiring less confidence in the driver.

Most of the reasons given in the article of why the Mustang won this match-up are many of the reasons I chose Mustang over Camaro last year.

That comment about tourists in LA driving convertible Camaros with luggage on their laps is hilarious.

Past:
2018 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP1, MR, and A10
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28

Idaho2018GTPremium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 10:35 AM   #17
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho2018GTPremium View Post
Sorry guys, but the Camaro's interior design and styling is terrible IMO (subjective, obviously). The exaggerated bumps above the gauge cluster are awful looking, and the gauges themselves look very generic. The sea of black plastic looks bad with no contrast. Overall, its styling looks poor compared to the GT's array of textures and better styling. And that steering wheel?? Ick.

Performance is basically identical, skidpad, figure-8 times, acceleration times (0-60 and 1/4 mile), except the GT trapped slightly more mph, not surprising given its slight hp advantage. The Mustang's handling isn't as good feeling, but it's good enough to be just as fast as the SS, despite inspiring less confidence in the driver.

Most of the reasons given in the article of why the Mustang won this match-up are many of the reasons I chose Mustang over Camaro last year.

That comment about tourists in LA driving convertible Camaros with luggage on their laps is hilarious.
Sorry guy but that is your opinion, look at the recent throttle house video of the pp2 vs 1le and they preferred the Camaros interior. I prefer the Camaro's looks and interiors over the mustangs, as well as shift forks that don't snap, that's why I chose the Camaro, granted I have an 18' which I prefer over the 19's. To each their own, but interior and exterior styling are subjective comparisons and prospective buyers will have their preferences.

This was a pp1 GT and the instrumented performance numbers were identical to the ss which is respectable and great news for manual GT guys. However which one was the superior sports car was clearly stated.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 10:47 AM   #18
Chadicus

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
Quote:

I find the GT with it's vaccuum gauges to be cheap and cheezy looking. The digital dash is meh there is no heads up display, no sunroof option, the plastic toggle switches for the drive modes are beyond cheap and feel that way. I dont like the shifter or the clutch or the entire manual transmission to be honest.
Chadicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 02:38 PM   #19
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadicus View Post
I find the GT with it's vaccuum gauges to be cheap and cheezy looking. The digital dash is meh there is no heads up display, no sunroof option, the plastic toggle switches for the drive modes are beyond cheap and feel that way. I dont like the shifter or the clutch or the entire manual transmission to be honest.
The Mustang’s plastic toggle switches are beyond cheap and look tacky. The thick layer of clear (whatever) on the aluminum panel that covers the majority of the dash also looks terrible. The whole interior looks like chunks fitted together.

Steering wheel? Please ...it’s not 1967. Chevy realized the folly of that in 2010 and dumped the retro steering wheel then.

The GT’s rear view mirror also looks like it came form 1967. The Camaro has a frameless, modern mirror that looks like an iPhone display. Now available with integrated rear view camera

The SS looks clean and minimalistic. The climate controls buttons in a clean row. The temp dials integrated into the vents. The bright pieces look like brushed nickel. The gen6 interior was the main thing that got me to trade from a gen5 ZL1 to a gen6 2SS.
Attached Images

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -

Last edited by hotlap; 06-02-2019 at 02:54 PM.
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 02:56 PM   #20
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
the gauges themselves look very generic. The sea of black plastic looks bad with no contrast. Overall, its styling looks poor compared to the GT's array of textures and better styling.
It's OK to have an opinion I guess, but as a vert owner I've got two things for ya to think about.

1. Once you have a car with a HUD you'll rarely go back to the regular dials. I hardly ever do... and if I spent big bux on an addon package to get fancy digital dash it would have been a waste. My focus is road, hud, road, waze, No cops? OK good, rinse, repeat.

2. When you're driving a vert the less shiny chrome and plastic and more dark matte finishes you have in the interior the better. The Mustang's busy interior and rows of chrome dials and toggles need not apply. The brushed nickel on the Camaro is more than enough.

Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 07:26 PM   #21
Idaho2018GTPremium

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
The Mustang’s plastic toggle switches are beyond cheap and look tacky. The thick layer of clear (whatever) on the aluminum panel that covers the majority of the dash also looks terrible. The whole interior looks like chunks fitted together.

Steering wheel? Please ...it’s not 1967. Chevy realized the folly of that in 2010 and dumped the retro steering wheel then.

The GT’s rear view mirror also looks like it came form 1967. The Camaro has a frameless, modern mirror that looks like an iPhone display. Now available with integrated rear view camera

The SS looks clean and minimalistic. The climate controls buttons in a clean row. The temp dials integrated into the vents. The bright pieces look like brushed nickel. The gen6 interior was the main thing that got me to trade from a gen5 ZL1 to a gen6 2SS.
My GT's rearview mirror is frameless as well. I don't need it to be a monitor because rear view visibility isn't bad using it as a regular mirror. I don't find that the toggle switches look cheap in my car. They have a nice finish to them that matches the rest of the bright work.

The Mustang interior is more chunky, but, like we all know, styling and looks are objective (as stated in my previous post). The Camaro SS interior does nothing for me. To each their own.

Past:
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28

Old 06-02-2019, 07:27 PM   #22
Idaho2018GTPremium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
It's OK to have an opinion I guess, but as a vert owner I've got two things for ya to think about.

1. Once you have a car with a HUD you'll rarely go back to the regular dials. I hardly ever do... and if I spent big bux on an addon package to get fancy digital dash it would have been a waste. My focus is road, hud, road, waze, No cops? OK good, rinse, repeat.

2. When you're driving a vert the less shiny chrome and plastic and more dark matte finishes you have in the interior the better. The Mustang's busy interior and rows of chrome dials and toggles need not apply. The brushed nickel on the Camaro is more than enough.

Good point, I don't own a vert and can see how the reflections from the bright work would get annoying.

Past:
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28

Old 06-03-2019, 12:23 AM   #23
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
My GT's rearview mirror is frameless as well. I don't need it to be a monitor because rear view visibility isn't bad using it as a regular mirror. I don't find that the toggle switches look cheap in my car. They have a nice finish to them that matches the rest of the bright work.

The Mustang interior is more chunky, but, like we all know, styling and looks are objective (as stated in my previous post). The Camaro SS interior does nothing for me. To each their own.
You were right in your first post. Your opinion is subjective ...yet you (as a life long Camaro fan that turned to Ford) felt the need to come to a Camaro board to tell us our interior is terrible.

We however can objectively point to our interior winning a 10 best interior award in 2016.

(https://subscribers.wardsintelligenc...images-1522521

Your rear view mirror looks like it’s from 1967. The Camaro’s looks modern even without the new (unnecessary) built in camera
Attached Images

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -

Last edited by hotlap; 06-03-2019 at 12:43 AM.
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 07:31 AM   #24
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Another review basically saying the same thing. If you are looking for track performance the Camaro is your car, if you are looking for everything else the Mustang is your car.
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 09:06 PM   #25
Idaho2018GTPremium

Quote:
You were right in your first post. Your opinion is subjective ...yet you (as a life long Camaro fan that turned to Ford) felt the need to come to a Camaro board to tell us our interior is terrible.

We however can objectively point to our interior winning a 10 best interior award in 2016.

(https://subscribers.wardsintelligenc...images-1522521

Your rear view mirror looks like it’s from 1967. The Camaro’s looks modern even without the new (unnecessary) built in camera
The rearview mirror in my GT does not look like those you posted photos of. Mine is frameless and auto-dims. It came from the factory that way. Might be part of a package that I have (safe and smart package, possibly?). I'm not really sure.

Past:
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28

Old 06-03-2019, 10:53 PM   #26
Craig

Drives: ‘23 SS1LE
Quote:

Seriously dude. If the day were 48 hours long and I had no job I would still spend zero time on Mustang boards, much less actually make posts taking shots at their cars and talking about how much better mine is. There will ALWAYS be something better to do with my time.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 01:14 AM   #27
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
I think both cars have good interiors. It is a toss up. I did like my 15 GT convertible Premium's interior. I never had a Camaro convertible. But I think my 17 ZL1 interior is pretty amazing as well. As far as cheap this and cheap that, well these manufacturers have to cut costs somewhere. And it usually is in the interior and the materials used. You know how we always talk about Camaros costing half as much as this or that but performs just as good or better? Well those cars they compete with cost twice as much because they don't cheap out on the interior or the materials used on the cars. So "cheap" should just be thrown out altogether.

I personally buy these cars for the performance. That is number 1. If there were differences in other areas that were drastic then I would take the lesser performing car. But as it is, neither car has any drastic improvement anywhere over the competition. Even in visibility and roominess. Any perceived extra visibility is just a mirage. Both cars have the same exact amount of usable or minimum visibility.

One thing I have to point out tho is from my experiences with my 15 GT, the GT convertible is a flimsy car. And the interior, while nice, did not feel durable. My 2010 2SS/RS felt more durable at 40K miles than my GT did when I bought it with 600 miles on it. Now if the 18+s have some drastic suspension and interior improvements over the 15-17s then I would not be able to comment. I do not think that is the case tho. I never drove a vert SS so I cannot say anything in comparison. But from what I know of these two cars, I would be surprised if the Camaro was as bad as the Mustang. Performance-wise I am sure the SS is the better car. From a DD POV I think it comes down to the driver's perferrence. Some people don't care about trunk space. And some are not bothered with the visibility. Likewise some are not concerned with the cheap interiors or the flimsy suspension. So it is kinda useless for them to just pick a car on something subjective when we don't know the percentage of people who are affected. To me the better performing car is the better deal.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 08:11 AM   #28
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Quote:

I know that these cars try to pay homage with some retro styling that has been modernized, but the Mustang's interior looks straight out of the 80's, not the 60's. In fact, the center stack looks just like an 80's boom box, complete with WAY to many buttons, and including the plastic silver toggles for the cassette player. You know, stop/eject, ff, rew, play, etc...

The Camaro's center stack has modern and minimal switchwork, and the screen looks as modern as the latest iphone.

What I DO like about the Mustang's center stack is that the exhaust (if you have the dual-mode exhaust) is a toggle switch, rather than an item burried in a menu system. Personally, I would like to have a more readily accesible way to switch the exhaust mode without changing the mode switch or going through the menu. That's a pretty nit-picky thing, but just my personal preference.
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote