#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

AWE Tuning

Old 04-09-2019, 03:11 PM   #29
oneplustwo

Drives: 2018 Torch Red SS 1LE with Whipple
It's the Whipple warranty.

Supposedly it's $750.

I think I'll get the kit and plan on doing the install for now and if I change my mind, someone will get a killer deal on a new in box supercharger! It won't get here for another few weeks so lots of time to think about it and change my mind a few dozen times.
oneplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 03:28 PM   #30
Chris V

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneplustwo View Post
It's the Whipple warranty.

Supposedly it's $750.

I think I'll get the kit and plan on doing the install for now and if I change my mind, someone will get a killer deal on a new in box supercharger! It won't get here for another few weeks so lots of time to think about it and change my mind a few dozen times.
I wouldn't bother paying extra for a warranty. When I did mine it only applied if it was installed by an ASE-certified mechanic, and I installed it myself.

I did kill my cats, and the Whipple calibration wasn't good anyway - too much throttle at tip-in made it hard to apply power coming out of the corners.

Save the money and take it to a tuner to put in a good safe tuner.

2017 1SS 1LE - 663 whp/623 wtq
Rotofab/Whipple/Kooks 2"/LT5 TB/LT4 Fueling/E85/MCS Coilovers/Ground Control/GOODAero/Apex Wheels/Race Louvers
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 02:15 AM   #31
oneplustwo

Did you kill both primary and secondary cats? I’m wondering if I should just keep the stock headers and do a bolt on primary cat delete so it’s easy to go back to stock for smog. And the secondary cat hopefully can still function well enough to eliminate the majority of any gas odor.
Old 04-10-2019, 09:38 AM   #32
Chris V

Quote:
Did you kill both primary and secondary cats? I’m wondering if I should just keep the stock headers and do a bolt on primary cat delete so it’s easy to go back to stock for smog. And the secondary cat hopefully can still function well enough to eliminate the majority of any gas odor.
I don't know about the secondaries, they were coming out and going to the scrap yard and I don't think anyone looked (I had Jannetty install the headers and x-pipe).

I can say that the car, with the Jannetty tune and no cats smells better than it did with the Whipple calibration and OEM exhaust. It stunk of unburnt fuel before, and now it has a smell, but not as bad as some other catless cars I've been around.

Running both setups makes sense - swap in the catless ones for track days, and put good cats in for regular road use. You won't hurt them driving on the street because you will never have the opportunity to go WOT every few seconds for 20 minutes.

2017 1SS 1LE - 663 whp/623 wtq
Rotofab/Whipple/Kooks 2"/LT5 TB/LT4 Fueling/E85/MCS Coilovers/Ground Control/GOODAero/Apex Wheels/Race Louvers
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 06:19 PM   #33
oneplustwo

I'm leaning towards just a rotofab and e85 with a tune now given I'm likely to do more track days over time not less. So the track reliability part of the equation will become more important.

Maybe I'll get it if I ever get another more hard core track car and the camaro sees less track time.
Old 04-26-2019, 09:27 PM   #34
Calubi

Out of curiosity, would a Procharger or turbo setup do any better with heat management on track conditions?
Old 04-27-2019, 05:17 AM   #35
NickyRacerBoy

Drives: 1LE
Quote:
I'm leaning towards just a rotofab and e85 with a tune now given I'm likely to do more track days over time not less. So the track reliability part of the equation will become more important.

Maybe I'll get it if I ever get another more hard core track car and the camaro sees less track time.

Good choice. Spend money on tires brakes and track insurance

I buy take off at 600 shipped and they last me a day
Track insurance costs 270 for 50k. I burn 34 gallons of e85 a day. It adds up! Brakes..oh..last 3 track days
NickyRacerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 05:21 PM   #36
oneplustwo

Where do you get your take offs from? Stock tires or slicks?
Old 04-28-2019, 09:07 AM   #37
NickyRacerBoy

Pirelli DH slicks. I've used these two guys. Both good guys and easy to deal with. I'd say tires were about the same in wear.

http://gttrackdays.com

https://usedracingtires.com/pages/contact
Old 04-28-2019, 09:11 AM   #38
NickyRacerBoy

They sell Hoosiers and Pirellis.
Pirellis take more time to heat up. I seem to get more front grip with Pirellis the Hoosier seem to give me a little bit more grip. Need to play with my setup
Old 05-10-2019, 10:34 AM   #39
G2K
@Blackmamba_1LE

Drives: 2017 1LE
Any feedback with the added weight up front?

Any reason why you guys picked the whipple over a magnuson per say?
Isnt whipple the heaviest blower of them all? (comparing LT4, Maggy & Whipple)
Old 05-30-2019, 02:15 PM   #40
Tim M

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
This is a great thread. In for more detail. If Chevy does it with an LT4 - shouldn't be a great challenge, no?
Old 05-30-2019, 06:01 PM   #41
oneplustwo

Quick update... I'm going to go ahead and install the Whipple after all. I'm not doing E85 as my tuner says that I would need to upgrade all the fuel components. I'm not interested in even more power at the moment given more power = more heat and for a road course car, I want to minimize heat. Also, the injectors and HPFP and potentially a low side upgrade isn't cheap. So given my objective, I decided to just stick with the supercharger. (I am keeping the rotofab intake though.)

EDIT: I'm going to install mid-July with a custom tune coming late July so will update you all then.
Old 05-31-2019, 02:13 PM   #42
Tim M

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
oneplustwo: Feedback would be much appreciated. During my Camaro purchase, a Whipple was at the back of my mind - I've never owned a supercharged car and have been intrigued with the Whipple design when they first were introduced.

My car has always felt slow (ie chassis capable of far more HP).

Good Luck!