Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

AWE Tuning

Old 10-10-2018, 11:15 PM   #29
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxChris View Post
By the time the "new fix" is made available, there won't be much left of my 1st and reverse bands in the transmission. Unfortunately, I'm at 32k miles now and I don't think I can do less than 4k miles between now and "sometime" in '19. Wondering whether I should get the GM extended warranty plan now. Between the transmission and battery/electrical services it has faced, I'm not happy.

GM's final resolution better be pretty comprehensive and treat all owners as if it was still covered under B2B (loaner, wash, oil change, etc), regardless of their mileage or in-service date.

I think GM can make everyone's car whole and we'll fall in love with the total experience all over again if they can do the following:
Remove/disassemble/inspect gear pack
Clean gear pack and casing of debris
Replace worn clutches and bands (especially on the lower gears)
Reassemble gear pack, verify fit and clearances
Replace transmission filter
Replace torque converter (GM never rebuilds these, the new pendulum style could be nice)
Reflash TCM to remove lockup programming in 1st and reverse (cause of jerking at low speeds)
Reflash TCM to adjust slip tables (cause of shudder)
Extend powertrain coverage to 100k for repaired vehicles

Replacing entire transmissions is unnecessary and far more expensive than the above list of actions to address the problem. It's just a pisser that GM played this game for so long when even their idiot customers had the causes figured out for quite some time. Enough of the placebo's GM, time to cough up an actual resolution.
The TSB states first quarter of 2019...so that means by March.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:10 AM   #30
theCATALYST
@V3NOM.SS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Took my 16 SS A8 in for a TC replacement today. Did the triple flush a handful of months ago, but only kept the shudder away for roughly 4k miles. Just as my dealer was about to install the new TC, they where halted and I was called. I too was told of the fix planned for 1st quarter 2019. Bulletin attached.
Attached Images

American Authority - ZL1 Conversion Front Bumper, ZL1 Hood, ZL1 Cannards, ZL1 Side Skirts, ZL1 inspired Hood, Rear Valance w/ Diffuser, darkened LED side markers, C7 Fender Vents, 1/4 Window Scoops, Fuel Lid, Tow Hook
Vertini 20x10.5/20x9.5 RF1.1 Gloss Black wheels
R1Concepts Geomet Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Ceramic Barke Pads
Mishimoto - Cold Air Intake (RED), Catch Can (RED)
BMR - Strut Tower Brace (RED)
GM Darkened Taillights, ZL1 1LE 3rd Brake Light[/SIZE]
theCATALYST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:48 AM   #31
keon718nyc

Drives: Challenger SP Shaker/Arcadia Denali
Wow, for f*cks sake!!! GM just needs to get their shit together from the start. Screw all this shudder crap. I haven't had time to bring my car in at all and dread doing so but for them to say 2019 come back basically is some nonsense.
keon718nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 03:25 PM   #32
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by keon718nyc View Post
Wow, for f*cks sake!!! GM just needs to get their shit together from the start. Screw all this shudder crap. I haven't had time to bring my car in at all and dread doing so but for them to say 2019 come back basically is some nonsense.
The first 3 lines of what he said...
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 03:40 PM   #33
RollaMo

Drives: 2017 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by theCATALYST View Post
Took my 16 SS A8 in for a TC replacement today. Did the triple flush a handful of months ago, but only kept the shudder away for roughly 4k miles. Just as my dealer was about to install the new TC, they where halted and I was called. I too was told of the fix planned for 1st quarter 2019. Bulletin attached.

Yep, just went through that with ours this morning also.
Had the 3 fluid flush done last December, and all was well until recently.

Took the car in, and they confirmed the issue had returned and ordered a new torque converter.
The new torque converter even came in, and we scheduled the service for this morning.

I arrived and he showed me the service bullentin about holding off on torque converter replacement.

There is supposedly a new design coming out soon, and they will wait and do the torque converter change then.

So for now, they are doing the 3 fluid flush again.
2015 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited
RollaMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 03:45 PM   #34
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxChris View Post
By the time the "new fix" is made available, there won't be much left of my 1st and reverse bands in the transmission. Unfortunately, I'm at 32k miles now and I don't think I can do less than 4k miles between now and "sometime" in '19. Wondering whether I should get the GM extended warranty plan now. Between the transmission and battery/electrical services it has faced, I'm not happy.

GM's final resolution better be pretty comprehensive and treat all owners as if it was still covered under B2B (loaner, wash, oil change, etc), regardless of their mileage or in-service date.

I think GM can make everyone's car whole and we'll fall in love with the total experience all over again if they can do the following:
Remove/disassemble/inspect gear pack
Clean gear pack and casing of debris
Replace worn clutches and bands (especially on the lower gears)
Reassemble gear pack, verify fit and clearances
Replace transmission filter
Replace torque converter (GM never rebuilds these, the new pendulum style could be nice)
Reflash TCM to remove lockup programming in 1st and reverse (cause of jerking at low speeds)
Reflash TCM to adjust slip tables (cause of shudder)
Extend powertrain coverage to 100k for repaired vehicles

Replacing entire transmissions is unnecessary and far more expensive than the above list of actions to address the problem. It's just a pisser that GM played this game for so long when even their idiot customers had the causes figured out for quite some time. Enough of the placebo's GM, time to cough up an actual resolution.
transmission cost, fluid cost, R/R a transmission, flush and TCM reflash
(part+fluid+labor+labor+labor)
vs.
Torque converter cost, fluid cost, filter cost, clutches cost, R/R transmission, transmission disassembly, transmission assembly, replacement of clutches (no bands in this guy), TCM reflash and flush
(part+fluid+part+part(s)+labor+labor+labor+labor+l abor+labor)

That's a $h!t ton of labor! AND techs will FOR SURE sneak in added labor, unless GM assigns a special labor code for this circumstance.

Realistically, I see GM doing something like this:
Triple Flush and reflash.
If the issue is still present -> R/R transmission, disassemble and replace "X"-parts, assemble, flush.

The issue seems to be related to, first and foremost, the duty-cycle of the TCC. In that, material and physical design can only go so far. So, a calibration change will, likely, be the center-point, along with, maybe, a slightly redesigned torque converter and/or solenoid or valve/bore.

I've seen this stuff with Ford. These exact problems and the long-term process and eventual fixes. The fact that GM is doing something, and making a TSB statement on it, tells me that there is CONSIDERABLE warranty related to the A8. Across the board, the OEMs are typically reluctant to venture back into old production/near-end current production to fix field warranty issue unless they are dragging down financials or producing very negative views of the company.

I hope GM comes around and properly assesses the A8 shudder issues, because the Camaro is otherwise very good vehicle and it's a shame to see the car handicapped like this and customers unhappy like they are.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 04:00 PM   #35
RollaMo

Drives: 2017 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post

I hope GM comes around and properly assesses the A8 shudder issues, because the Camaro is otherwise very good vehicle and it's a shame to see the car handicapped like this and customers unhappy like they are.
One thing that is helping (if you can call it that).....

Camaro isn't the only car suffering from this.
This is all over the Corvette forum also.

The Silverado with the 8-speed is also having this issue.
The Silverado having this issue is probably what is keeping the pressure on for a fix, since there are considerably more of those on the road than Camaro and Corvette combined.
2015 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited
RollaMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:01 PM   #36
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
The Corvette, Camaro, CTS, Colorado, Silverado...etc all have this issue. It should be recalled imo.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 09:53 AM   #37
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
This better be a "solid" fix, not some crap that GM has been tossing around for the past couple of years. My car already has been in twice over the past 2 years, once they reprogrammed the TCM, worked great for about 10 months, then the transmission crapped out totally at the dealership, wouldn't even go into any gear, was almost fully rebuilt. That was last spring, and now shudder and overall crappy performance of the A8 is back. I am going to wait, no sense in bringing in to be told can't do anything for you until early next year...this car has lost the "fun" of driving it now.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 10:06 AM   #38
keon718nyc

Drives: Challenger SP Shaker/Arcadia Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSport16 View Post
This better be a "solid" fix, not some crap that GM has been tossing around for the past couple of years. My car already has been in twice over the past 2 years, once they reprogrammed the TCM, worked great for about 10 months, then the transmission crapped out totally at the dealership, wouldn't even go into any gear, was almost fully rebuilt. That was last spring, and now shudder and overall crappy performance of the A8 is back. I am going to wait, no sense in bringing in to be told can't do anything for you until early next year...this car has lost the "fun" of driving it now.

I feel your pain! I picked up my Camaro 2 days after you on Christmas eve 12-24-15. The problems you have most of us can't compare to but the A8 Shudder shit is definitely annoying and time consuming to say the least going to dealerships for temp fixes is some BS. For me i had a few issues with my Camaro but nothing too over the edge like some previous cars/suv's i had. I had my Camaro overheat on a highway stuck in traffic due to a cooling fan failure. Happened twice where i had to get the car towed. first time they said i need to drive it more as miles were low for year LMAO, i was like ok ill be back, then got stuck again and towed back to dealer to find out the fan needed replacement. then the whole grinding rear diff noise crap came up again as its getting colder and been back 2 times for that to the dealer already. Just tired of the run around...
keon718nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 12:49 AM   #39
JaxChris

Drives: '16 2SS GD1 MX0 NPP F55 IO6
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
The TSB states first quarter of 2019...so that means by March.
GM can't even deliver a Build Your Own page on their website (which is identical to all the other Build pages) without missing the deadline by a month. Something that takes actual effort, like testing a fix for a facepalm failure of this size, I doubt they can delivery within the 6 months they just promised in that TSB update. We'll be lucky to see a real fix a year from now.

If they don't address the issue with the 8L90, GM has probably soured the customer relationship with more than 1,000,000 new car buyers that spend way more than 20k for a Cruze. Think of how many vehicles were built with 8L90's from 2015-2018, all new car buyers and a reasonably unacceptable number of them impacted with repeated driving irregularities.

With new car sales volume expected to decline for the next 5 years due to interest rates and looming corporate debt payments (they all took loans and issued bonds while money was cheap, but rates sprung up before they began paying back principle, which means they'll have to pay back at market rate) squashing future salary gains in the near future, I don't think you want to drive away the people most likely (consumers paying above brand ATP) to be able to keep affording new car prices during that time.

And you certainly shouldn't want those same customers continually spread that much word of mouth about GM powertrain issues to their peers that are already considering a comparable Ford or European vehicle.
JaxChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 01:03 AM   #40
JaxChris

Drives: '16 2SS GD1 MX0 NPP F55 IO6
Forgot to mention. My car is still at the dealership. Only thing they mentioned in the update is that the negative and ground cable were replaced, but no update on the transmission (4th flush instead of TC). Last time they "scheduled" me like this, I had the car back in 1.5 days.
JaxChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 02:21 PM   #41
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by keon718nyc View Post
I feel your pain! I picked up my Camaro 2 days after you on Christmas eve 12-24-15. The problems you have most of us can't compare to but the A8 Shudder shit is definitely annoying and time consuming to say the least going to dealerships for temp fixes is some BS. For me i had a few issues with my Camaro but nothing too over the edge like some previous cars/suv's i had. I had my Camaro overheat on a highway stuck in traffic due to a cooling fan failure. Happened twice where i had to get the car towed. first time they said i need to drive it more as miles were low for year LMAO, i was like ok ill be back, then got stuck again and towed back to dealer to find out the fan needed replacement. then the whole grinding rear diff noise crap came up again as its getting colder and been back 2 times for that to the dealer already. Just tired of the run around...
Yeah the differential thing should be back soon, just started getting cooler yesterday morning, probably will get that next week...yay!

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 07:26 PM   #42
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
The new fix

Name:  7004FA11-386F-42C5-80A9-35CE396316D0.jpeg
Views: 782
Size:  65.3 KB
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote