Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-12-2018, 10:06 AM   #1
mspeed1LE

Drives: ZL1 1LE SUMMIT WHITE
Additional TPMS Sensors for track tires?

Just wondering if those that use a 2nd set of track only wheels/tires, whether you added TPMS sensors to your set?
2018 ZLE * StudioRSR Half Cage * SkidmarkGarage Rear Seat Delete * ZL1ADDONS Lift Pads * Roto-Fab CAI * Forgestar CF5-V's * Michelin PS4S * Racequip 6 Pt. Harnesses * Sub-strap Brackets by Carmena Performance * Speedhut Shift Light * Leroy Eng. Hidden Hitch (for the TYR RAT)* Gen5DIY Rapid Flash 3rd Brake Light * KOOKS 2" LT * Green Cats * AWE Cat-back Track Edition *

mspeed1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:31 AM   #2
RXtacy

Drives: 93 RX-7, 17 SS 1LE, 04 RX-8
Yes. The tire temp/pressure data collected by the PDR is valuable info. I got my TPMS sensors off amazon for ~$70.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
RXtacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:50 AM   #3
grampa_ss

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I did too.
Old 07-12-2018, 12:06 PM   #4
NickyRacerBoy

Drives: 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by RXtacy View Post
Yes. The tire temp/pressure data collected by the PDR is valuable info. I got my TPMS sensors off amazon for ~$70.

But do you need to "relearn" when going from street tires/rims to race tire?rims? basically is that TPM tool needed?
NickyRacerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:24 PM   #5
RXtacy

Drives: 93 RX-7, 17 SS 1LE, 04 RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyRacerBoy View Post
But do you need to "relearn" when going from street tires/rims to race tire?rims? basically is that TPM tool needed?
Yes each time you swap you need to relearn. Takes about 30 seconds. I also got the tool on amazon ~$18.

RXtacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:52 PM   #6
Yanbags

Drives: '17 SS 1LE
I agree that the PDR data is nice to have.

Just a word of caution - I noticed the TPMS sensors from RXtacy's link have rubber valve stems. I would recommend to get metal valve stems. A good friend of mine had a failure with one of his rubber valve stems during our track event two weeks ago and was greeted with 11PSI in a tire Could be luck, but metal stems are cheap insurance. Another friend who builds cars and runs a race team mentioned that he always uses non-rubber for this reason.

Our OEMs are aluminum if you look at it. OEM P#: 13598787
Yanbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 01:39 PM   #7
DetCam

Drives: 2016 1SS (12/10/2016)
I didn't get them in my track wheels... I ordered a set of wheels/tires that came mounted and balanced and was trying to keep costs down.

Seeing just how hot they got (I went down to an 18" wheel and wow do they hold more heat than the factory 20's did), I am a bit worried about the rubber valve stems as mentioned above.

I paid for them in my winter set of wheels/tires considering I drive almost 1/2 the year on snow tires. I do miss having the info on a track day. I liked having the ability to compare my "going out" pressures to my "coming in" pressures to see if I need to let more air out between sessions. Usually by the 3rd session I've got the pressure where I want it... but the TPMS sensors are nice for identifying surprises. I'll probably add them when I pay to get my tires "flipped" 1/2 way through their life.

And yes, get the $18 TPMS learn tool from Amazon, it's super simple to use, and you'll need it every time you switch your wheels... even if you don't get the TPMS sensors in your track wheels, you'll probably need it once you put your street tires back on. My car seems to take a day or three to notice that I'm on my track wheels, but once it "forgets" there is no way to re-learn the OEM wheels without the tool.
DetCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 02:46 PM   #8
mspeed1LE

Awesome info everyone! Thanks so much!
2018 ZLE * StudioRSR Half Cage * SkidmarkGarage Rear Seat Delete * ZL1ADDONS Lift Pads * Roto-Fab CAI * Forgestar CF5-V's * Michelin PS4S * Racequip 6 Pt. Harnesses * Sub-strap Brackets by Carmena Performance * Speedhut Shift Light * Leroy Eng. Hidden Hitch (for the TYR RAT)* Gen5DIY Rapid Flash 3rd Brake Light * KOOKS 2" LT * Green Cats * AWE Cat-back Track Edition *

Old 07-12-2018, 02:55 PM   #9
mspeed1LE

After looking at the links provided above, I notice that non of the description(s) indicate temperature monitoring, just pressure. Are the ZL1 1LE OEM sensors technically different?

Old 07-12-2018, 06:54 PM   #10
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Yes each time you swap you need to relearn. Takes about 30 seconds. I also got the tool on amazon ~$18.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanbags View Post
...Our OEMs are aluminum if you look at it. OEM P#: 13598787
These two items are exactly what I have and they work great, and with the PDR.

When you swap the sets, you have to re-learn the sensors. It's easy:
*engage e-brake
*car "on" in accessory mode (press and hold start button for 5 seconds) or engine running, your call
*go to tire pressure screen in IP
*press and hold "sel" on the steering wheel until the car says TPMS learning active
*have the TPMS tool in-hand. Start at the Left Front tire, point through the tire sidewall towards the valve stem. Press and hold the button until the car honks.
*move to the right front tire. Press the button until the honk
*right rear tire, repeat
*left rear tire, repeat
*when you successfully do all 4 corners, the car will then double honk to signal a successful pairing.
*observe new tire pressures in the IP
Old 07-12-2018, 08:18 PM   #11
NickyRacerBoy

Quote:

Yeah I saw that! Those things use to cost 100 plus back in the day
Old 07-12-2018, 08:21 PM   #12
NickyRacerBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
These two items are exactly what I have and they work great, and with the PDR.

When you swap the sets, you have to re-learn the sensors. It's easy:
*engage e-brake
*car "on" in accessory mode (press and hold start button for 5 seconds) or engine running, your call
*go to tire pressure screen in IP
*press and hold "sel" on the steering wheel until the car says TPMS learning active
*have the TPMS tool in-hand. Start at the Left Front tire, point through the tire sidewall towards the valve stem. Press and hold the button until the car honks.
*move to the right front tire. Press the button until the honk
*right rear tire, repeat
*left rear tire, repeat
*when you successfully do all 4 corners, the car will then double honk to signal a successful pairing.
*observe new tire pressures in the IP

THANKS!!!
Old 07-12-2018, 08:22 PM   #13
NickyRacerBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanbags View Post
I agree that the PDR data is nice to have.

Just a word of caution - I noticed the TPMS sensors from RXtacy's link have rubber valve stems. I would recommend to get metal valve stems. A good friend of mine had a failure with one of his rubber valve stems during our track event two weeks ago and was greeted with 11PSI in a tire Could be luck, but metal stems are cheap insurance. Another friend who builds cars and runs a race team mentioned that he always uses non-rubber for this reason.

Our OEMs are aluminum if you look at it. OEM P#: 13598787
i agree. I know Costco are metal...let me see how much..

couldnt find them but did see metal Dorman one for bucks.

Last edited by NickyRacerBoy; 07-12-2018 at 08:43 PM.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:57 PM   #14
mspeed1LE

...but Temp sensors???