Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 02-08-2016, 03:44 PM   #1
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
LT1 CNC heads and hot cam

To be honest I was NOT impressed with the LS1 Hot cam in 1998. But 18 years later is this the magic in the bottle:

19333525 LT1 Head Cam Kit* NEW! Increase your already-strong LT1 with these CNC ported heads and camshaft designed specifically for direct injection.This is the first “Hot Cam” for the Gen V LT1. (See warranty statement on page 35.) *Expected availability 2nd Quarter 2016 NOTE: Installation of this kit will affect engine variable valve timing and Active Fuel Management operation. Recalibration is required for accurate engine operation (not available from GM). This Kit Includes: Part Number Description QTY 19303897 NEW! Camshaft 1 12595365 Valve Lifter Guide 4 12648846 Valve Lifters 8 19329839 NEW! CNC Cylinder Head Assembly 2

http://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam...ts-catalog.pdf
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 04:13 PM   #2
Tr6
The Dogfather

Drives: #1 off the line for a customer. '16
"We'll sell you the part but you need a tune with it which will void out your warranty!" Such a great business mentality lol. Thanks for sharing the catalog and heads up!
#33 off the line #1 order for Customer.
Build thread HERE!
Story of my delivery HERE!
Tr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 04:37 PM   #3
oldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr6 View Post
"We'll sell you the part but you need a tune with it which will void out your warranty!" Such a great business mentality lol. Thanks for sharing the catalog and heads up!
Yep, and don't forget "we" will put a flash counter in your ECU that you paid for so we will know when you tune it! Like hiring a snitch to follow you around to see if you flirt when your wife is not looking... of course I do, I old and married not dead.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
Old 02-08-2016, 05:32 PM   #4
drivingagain

Drives: 2015 Tiger XCX,2016 Camaro 1SS,LBZ!
Well no offense none of this is new or even last few years different. Realistically, why would GM warranty this? I am more interested in the actual numbers this provides.
drivingagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 09:36 PM   #5
Tr6
The Dogfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivingagain View Post
Well no offense none of this is new or even last few years different. Realistically, why would GM warranty this? I am more interested in the actual numbers this provides.
Oh no biggie... We won't be offended. I just love make fun of the whole business model as selling parts and other things under the same manufacturer just would like to keep all the warranty and everything intact.

Hell. If I were GM, I would have an entire "aftermarket" section. Consisting of mail in tuners on staff, sales... etc. Just like any aftermarket company. It wouldn't keep the actual initial warranty you get when you buy the car new but another warranty that would mimic the original warranty. Just like Hennessey/Lingerfelter and some other companies. Services and parts might be just a little tame compared to actual aftermarket companies and the cost might be higher but pros and cons...
Build thread HERE!
Old 02-09-2016, 08:56 AM   #6
oldman

The Chevy performance, intake, suspension, brakes, and twin muffler will / should have no warranty issues.
I'll probably go supercharger so the warranty is for other people...
Old 02-09-2016, 09:07 AM   #7
Tr6
The Dogfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
The Chevy performance, intake, suspension, brakes, and twin muffler will / should have no warranty issues.
I'll probably go supercharger so the warranty is for other people...
Haha, unless you pay extra and still keep a warranty that mimics the oem warranty :P. Like; hennessey/lingerfelter/edelbrock.
Build thread HERE!
Old 02-09-2016, 10:54 AM   #8
oldman

for the price of these I could buy a crate long block... LOL
Old 02-09-2016, 11:00 AM   #9
drivingagain

Drives: 2015 Tiger XCX,2016 Camaro 1SS,LBZ!
How much do they want?
drivingagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 11:22 AM   #10
oldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivingagain View Post
How much do they want?
like $17g for the supercharger and some stickers.. I'm not dissing them, for some guys the factory quality install and the warranty is well worth it. I used to change clutches on the Lingenfelter 383 LS1 and George McLeod and his bro would send them to me for free and Lingenfelter would pickup the tab. So they back their stuff. It was an internal slave problem anyway, cheap piece of plastic.
Old 02-09-2016, 06:12 PM   #11
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
the hotcam was ripped on for like ten years. after people got sick of changing springs every 15,000 miles they started looking for cams with soft ramp rates and people actually started to try that LS1 HotCam and not give up much 1/4 mile ET over their MS3.
the pros were good power vs valve-train stability, spring life, tuning ease. it was well matched for the flow characteristic. it was just kinda interesting to see people were called total idiots for installing a hotcam. then toward the end people were saying it wasn't that bad. lol
i dont have first hand experience with it tho.
6spdhyperblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 06:54 PM   #12
oldman

valve springs have come a long way in 18 years. The LS1 was the first beehive spring I ever worked with and yep I was changing springs every 6 months on my street driven ride and it WAS a bummer. My type R goes to 10,000 RPM and the valve springs are good for 50,000 miles, stock type R can go to 8800 RPM with Mugen / spoon tune and the stock oval springs are good for like 100,000 miles. It just a whole lot longer for good springs to come to US iron. I actually don't know why but my speculation would be that the much bigger v8 spring has cooling and work hardening issues at high rpm while the smaller springs for 4v engines have far more surface area per internal volume so run cooler and don't generate fatigue points. Off the cuff.

also the 112 LSA had poorer idle / vacuum and back then .525 for a true daily driver was iffy at best. Sure we were doing it, but "we" were also changing valve springs every 6 months. I know now we laugh at .525 lift.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:43 AM   #13
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
yes that is a good point. I noticed the evolution of valve springs brought a lot of users back to beehives with less expensive treated options. This encouraged the search for softer ramp rates along with light valves to reduce chance of breakage. I was able to score a set of new hollow and sodium filled LS6 valves for $110 shipped in 2006. Years later they were triple that.
6spdhyperblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 01:14 PM   #14
jayb998

Drives: 2016 2SS M6
Just got in the hot cam and CNC heads form GM Performance parts today for my 2016 m6 camaro should be in the shop in a couple weeks, gotta get the tuner free to come tune it. My local dealer is doing the install and is going to stand behind all the parts and labor during the factory warranty period. Im going to get some before and after runs on the same dyno for comparison.
jayb998 is offline   Reply With Quote