Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

AWE Tuning

Old 08-20-2019, 10:39 AM   #3067
NW-99SS

Drives: 1999 Camaro SS M6 - SBE LS1
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 View Post
I forgot how much all the options are on the GT500, and I just looked them up. $18,500 for the CFTP, and another $1,500 for the handling package. That's an additional $20,000! WOW!!

The base price, including gas guzzler and destination is about $74,000. Then, if you can find an allocation for a CFTP and want the handling package (just the go fast stuff), we're talking $94,000! There are more options you can add (I didn't even add the Recaro seats), but this is just the performance stuff. Even if you found a good deal and got a CFTP allocation for just $10k over, that's $104,000!!!!

I'd rather have a 911 at that price point, or I would just wait for the C8 Z06.
You aren't the only one. I've read people who know those with GT500 allocations that let them go to get a C8 instead...and those were current GT500 owners who had never owned Corvettes before.
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
NW-99SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 10:58 AM   #3068
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-99SS View Post
You aren't the only one. I've read people who know those with GT500 allocations that let them go to get a C8 instead...and those were current GT500 owners who had never owned Corvettes before.
The GT500 has been a dissapointment so far:

1. Two years too late
2. More expensive than thought, which didn't drive down ADMs
3. Not as much HP as expected (by the Ford faithful)
4. No manual trans (which dissapoints some folks, but not all)
5. Fat pig

And, as I have said before, there is no "WOW" factor. The last GT500 came out with 662 HP, that had a wow factor. The GT350 had the 5.2L FPC screamer - wow factor. Demon had 800+HP, race fuel, drag radials, trans brake, etc. - wow. C8 is going mid-engine for just under $60k - wow.

The GT500 is pretty cool, but where is the wow? The DCT? I just don't know...
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 11:07 AM   #3069
NW-99SS

Quote:

1. Two years too late
5. Fat pig

And, as I have said before, there is no "WOW" factor. The last GT500 came out with 662 HP, that had a wow factor. The GT350 had the 5.2L FPC screamer - wow factor. Demon had 800+HP, race fuel, drag radials, trans brake, etc. - wow. C8 is going mid-engine for just under $60k - wow.

Agreed, and just wait and laugh at the Dealer ADMs on the CF GT500s...you will have to be a serious fanboy to buy one.
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
Old 08-20-2019, 12:30 PM   #3070
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
I forgot how much all the options are on the GT500, and I just looked them up. $18,500 for the CFTP, and another $1,500 for the handling package. That's an additional $20,000! WOW!!

The base price, including gas guzzler and destination is about $74,000. Then, if you can find an allocation for a CFTP and want the handling package (just the go fast stuff), we're talking $94,000! There are more options you can add (I didn't even add the Recaro seats), but this is just the performance stuff. Even if you found a good deal and got a CFTP allocation for just $10k over, that's $104,000!!!!

I'd rather have a 911 at that price point, or I would just wait for the C8 Z06.
This ^. The "base" GT500 does seem well equipped and looks like it should be a fine competitor to the RE. It might be down on power but should be able to put up a fight in the 1/4 and out handle it.

The CFTP better put up amazing results. When you have an option package that costs as much as a car that option better be some serious goods.

Quote:

1. Two years too late
5. Fat pig

1. - yeah it's late.
2. Defs priced higher than I thought it would be
3. HP number is fine by me. When it was announced, Ford just said over 700 so 760 is fine with me.
4. no manual - I get why people are mad. I think it should at least be offered
5. Yeah shes a big girl lol

If you wanted to grasp at straws about the wow factor, uh most powerful Ford ever, more powerful than the GT

The DCT is pretty cool. You have to admit, go through some of the threads. when the GT500 was announced with a DCT a lot of people here were like meh, but once the C8 got announced with it, DCT's are the greatest thing ever and some people hope they trickle down to Camaro
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 12:36 PM   #3071
NW-99SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
This ^. The "base" GT500 does seem well equipped and looks like it should be a fine competitor to the RE. It might be down on power but should be able to put up a fight in the 1/4 and out handle it.

The CFTP better put up amazing results. When you have an option package that costs as much as a car that option better be some serious goods.

1. - yeah it's late.
2. Defs priced higher than I thought it would be
3. HP number is fine by me. When it was announced, Ford just said over 700 so 760 is fine with me.
4. no manual - I get why people are mad. I think it should at least be offered
5. Yeah shes a big girl lol

If you wanted to grasp at straws about the wow factor, uh most powerful Ford ever, more powerful than the GT

The DCT is pretty cool. You have to admit, go through some of the threads. when the GT500 was announced with a DCT a lot of people here were like meh, but once the C8 got announced with it, DCT's are the greatest thing ever and some people hope they trickle down to Camaro
Mostly agreed other than the DCT C8 comment. The largest and most active threads in the C8 section on the Corvette forum are about the lack of a manual transmission. - 215,00+ views and nearly 2700 replies!

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-on-sales.html
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
Old 08-20-2019, 12:44 PM   #3072
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Keep in mind the GT500 still has a hp/weight ratio advantage, and if it has substantial downforce from the aero, it could be faster than one or more than one of the ZL1 variants.

Also, it would be hard to squeeze more HP out of the Voodoo. Gererally speaking in an N/A motor, you can only make significant gains by adding more RPM's or more torque. More torque comes from more displacement, and there isn't much room there, and how much higher can you rev that motor? 8250 is pretty darn high.
That extra HP is going to help out about as much as it helped the Hellcat in cornering. The GT500 is front heavy and it is taking a lot of weight on it's nose. Is it as balanced as the ZL1 or ZLE? Can the suspension neutralize that extra weight? I think we've seen enough evidence with the previous S550 variants to conclude that it won't.

Quote:
Plus, I think (IMHO) there really does need to be a GT500. It's a much different approach. All kinds of creature comforts, awesome stereo, etc., and huge power, was the formula. It's only because of the ZL1 that they are chasing lap times on a road coarse. Ford either should have released this car two years ago, or just skipped the road coarse thing and go all-in on the straight line like the RedEye. The could have reduced a bunch of weight without all the coolers and huge brakes making a better 1/4 mile car...

Quote:
This - stick to what the GT500s were good at - straight line speed. The ZLEs have thrown Ford for an obvious loop that they clearly had difficulty matching or besting. As said before, for the purchase premium, the CF GT500 BETTER walk away from a ZLE A10 on the road course, if it only matches it, that's a loss given 4 additional years of testing and development and a much higher price tag.
Ford could have shaved a lot of money off the GT500 if they had just made it handle better than the Hellcat/Redeye while matching or beating them in a straight line and accelerating faster than the ZL1/ZLE while staying close around a track. But not both. That car could have easily be mid 60s Base high 60s R. And it would not have come in dead last at anything. It would have been either 2nd or first in every test.

But I think the problem is that the S550 is just not cut out for what the 6th Gen can do. GM went into the 6th Gen building a car that would be light, small, and track very well while being decent in a straight line. Ford did not do that with the GT500. They're only now trying to play catch up. And there is a huge difference between designing a car for a specific application from scratch vs taking a car that was just built and trying to make it perform better. It's like breeding a race horse vs just taking a horse and trying to train it to race. Had Ford left all that CF junk out of the car and made it a 724-750 HP all around car with decent handling then they would be smack dab in the middle with a decent price and it would have decent options. But with what they built, they now have to battle contenders that cost the same money. Like the C8 Vette. Chances are the C8 Z06 will come in much cheaper than the CF GT500 and that 4100 pound pig with the anchor on it's nose is gonna get slaughtered.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 01:06 PM   #3073
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Mostly agreed other than the DCT C8 comment. The largest and most active threads in the C8 section on the Corvette forum are about the lack of a manual transmission. - 215,00+ views and nearly 2700 replies!

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-on-sales.html
I hadn't seen that on the vette forums, I was talking about here in Camaro land lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
That extra HP is going to help out about as much as it helped the Hellcat in cornering. The GT500 is front heavy and it is taking a lot of weight on it's nose. Is it as balanced as the ZL1 or ZLE? Can the suspension neutralize that extra weight? I think we've seen enough evidence with the previous S550 variants to conclude that it won't.

Ford could have shaved a lot of money off the GT500 if they had just made it handle better than the Hellcat/Redeye while matching or beating them in a straight line and accelerating faster than the ZL1/ZLE while staying close around a track. But not both. That car could have easily be mid 60s Base high 60s R. And it would not have come in dead last at anything. It would have been either 2nd or first in every test.

But I think the problem is that the S550 is just not cut out for what the 6th Gen can do. GM went into the 6th Gen building a car that would be light, small, and track very well while being decent in a straight line. Ford did not do that with the GT500. They're only now trying to play catch up. And there is a huge difference between designing a car for a specific application from scratch vs taking a car that was just built and trying to make it perform better. It's like breeding a race horse vs just taking a horse and trying to train it to race. Had Ford left all that CF junk out of the car and made it a 724-750 HP all around car with decent handling then they would be smack dab in the middle with a decent price and it would have decent options. But with what they built, they now have to battle contenders that cost the same money. Like the C8 Vette. Chances are the C8 Z06 will come in much cheaper than the CF GT500 and that 4100 pound pig with the anchor on it's nose is gonna get slaughtered.
Blaq good points as usual. While the S550 is no where near as good in the handling department we know it is better than the Challenger (when S550 is dialed in) but you are right how will it do with the extra weight.

I do think a C8 Z might start right around the same ball park MSRP as a GT500 CFTP, but the C8 Z will 100% run circles around it.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 03:11 AM   #3074
crysalis_01
Iron fist, lead foot

Drives: 2003 Mustang Cobra
New GT500 vs ZL1 in a drag race?

https://youtu.be/F69Fsw2truM
Old 08-21-2019, 05:18 AM   #3075
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by crysalis_01 View Post
New GT500 vs ZL1 in a drag race?

https://youtu.be/F69Fsw2truM
The GT500 should definitely beat the ZL1 in a straight line. There is no reason why it shouldn't. It is a 6 year in development package that has much more HP than an unchanged 3 year old ZL1. So it has no excuse.

The question is whether or not it'll beat the ZL1 or ZLE around a track. Because if not then Ford would have been better off without all that CF stuff. They could have just made it to handle better than the HC and cut a lot of money off the MSRP. Instead, now when they lose it'll be a lot of money spent for nothing.
Old 08-21-2019, 08:07 AM   #3076
NW-99SS

Quote:
The GT500 should definitely beat the ZL1 in a straight line. There is no reason why it shouldn't. It is a 6 year in development package that has much more HP than an unchanged 3 year old ZL1. So it has no excuse.

The question is whether or not it'll beat the ZL1 or ZLE around a track. Because if not then Ford would have been better off without all that CF stuff. They could have just made it to handle better than the HC and cut a lot of money off the MSRP. Instead, now when they lose it'll be a lot of money spent for nothing.
This exactly. No one expects the ZL1 to run a 1/4 mile time with the GT500 - if it does, then the GT500 is more of a flop than anyone can imagine.

It's the handling and the price tag that is concerning most. Again, it better walk the ZLE A10 around 98% of all road course for the major premium you will have to pay to get a CF Track pack GT500.
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
Old 08-21-2019, 09:34 AM   #3077
whiteboyblues2001

Quote:
This exactly. No one expects the ZL1 to run a 1/4 mile time with the GT500 - if it does, then the GT500 is more of a flop than anyone can imagine.

It's the handling and the price tag that is concerning most. Again, it better walk the ZLE A10 around 98% of all road course for the major premium you will have to pay to get a CF Track pack GT500.
The real problem here is the GT500 is too late to the party and it's too expensive. At this point, it SHOULD beat a RedEye in the 1/4 AND the ZLE on most road courses. If it doesn't do both, it's a fail. I'm not holding my breath.

Ford should have just stuck with a 1/4 mile + luxury bulevard cruiser formula for the GT500. Trying to be a tripple threat like the ZL1 was a mistake with that chassis. The GT350 worked because even though is it a ton slower than a ZL1 on a road course, an N/A vehicle will have a big advantage on a road course over a S/C car with all the coolers in terms of fun facctor on a road course. The N/A car will feel so much more nimble and fun to drive. But, even with that, it took carbon fiber wheels to make the S550 feel better than an S/C car on a track. The SS1LE keeps up with the regular GT350. That shows you what Ford is dealing with in the S550 chasis.

At this point, with the GT500, Ford is just putting lipstick (shelby badge) on the pig (S550), and charging you for caviar & lobster (C8 or even 911 at those prices).
Old 08-21-2019, 09:36 AM   #3078
NW-99SS

Quote:
The real problem here is the GT500 is too late to the party and it's too expensive. At this point, it SHOULD beat a RedEye in the 1/4 AND the ZLE on most road courses. If it doesn't do both, it's a fail. I'm not holding my breath.

Ford should have just stuck with a 1/4 mile + luxury bulevard cruiser formula for the GT500. Trying to be a tripple threat like the ZL1 was a mistake with that chassis. The GT350 worked because even though is it a ton slower than a ZL1 on a road course, an N/A vehicle will have a big advantage on a road course over a S/C car with all the coolers in terms of fun facctor on a road course. The N/A car will feel so much more nimble and fun to drive. But, even with that, it took carbon fiber wheels to make the S550 feel better than an S/C car on a track. The SS1LE keeps up with the regular GT350. That shows you what Ford is dealing with in the S550 chasis.

At this point, with the GT500, Ford is just putting lipstick (shelby badge) on the pig (S550), and charging you for caviar & lobster (C8 or even 911 at those prices).
Exactly
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
Old 08-21-2019, 11:28 AM   #3079
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:

1. Two years too late
5. Fat pig

Oh it has a wow factor alright. That would be the price and the weight. WOW!!
Old 08-21-2019, 02:14 PM   #3080
whiteboyblues2001

Quote:
Oh it has a wow factor alright. That would be the price and the weight. WOW!!

I'd bet that's what a bunch of guys who put down a deposit for $10k over (initially thinking they got a great deal) are thinking right now. Wow, what have I gotten myself into....