Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

AWE Tuning

Old 01-05-2023, 07:58 PM   #57
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorkMissile View Post
If you want to find some interesting info - look up the newest episode of engine masters. Watch the entire episode - a lot of information about windage (what I think this engine suffers from A LOT) and oil level

The problems with too much oil are way more severe than not enough
My understanding is that while it's acceptable for street driving to have the oil level anywhere in the hash mark range, that's not the case for driving the car on road course tracks. LT1s don't have a dry sump and are therefore susseptible to oil (pump intake) starvation under sustained high G loads. The oil pan has baffles to try to combat this, but GM has employed additional techniques, including a 10qt oil capacity AND the recommendation to keep oil at top of the hash marks when tracking the car.

I would expect that crankshaft aeration of the oil in the pan (another potential problem as you correctly point out) would NOT HAPPEN unless the oil level is above the top of the hash marks.
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 10:14 PM   #58
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by easttxss View Post
Car needs to be on a level surface when checking the oil. 5qts is NOT enough oil.
I was more so nervous that all of the old oil didnt drain and that I might overfill it with the combined new oil but I took the risk and added the additional 5qts and checked again on level ground and everything seems good.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 04:17 PM   #59
driftking123

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
I know this thread is a little old, but can 10.5 qts hurt the engine. I just changed mine and put almost .5 a qt in the oil filter. Damn thing kept drinking it up when I filled it to the top. So I put 9.5 qts in the filler. I started it and drove it off my ramps and back into my garage on a level surface. I checked the dipstick and it was low on the x's. So I added the last bit of the 10 qts. I then drove it around a bit. I came home and checked the dip stick and a puff of smoke came out of the dipstick hole. But the stick reads the oil at the top of the x's. But I'm worried that once it cools down, I'll be over the x's. Any suggestions?
driftking123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 04:47 PM   #60
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftking123 View Post
I know this thread is a little old, but can 10.5 qts hurt the engine. I just changed mine and put almost .5 a qt in the oil filter. Damn thing kept drinking it up when I filled it to the top. So I put 9.5 qts in the filler. I started it and drove it off my ramps and back into my garage on a level surface. I checked the dipstick and it was low on the x's. So I added the last bit of the 10 qts. I then drove it around a bit. I came home and checked the dip stick and a puff of smoke came out of the dipstick hole. But the stick reads the oil at the top of the x's. But I'm worried that once it cools down, I'll be over the x's. Any suggestions?
It sounds like you only put 10.0 qts in, not 10.5... I think you are fine...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 05:49 PM   #61
driftking123

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
It sounds like you only put 10.0 qts in, not 10.5... I think you are fine...
I'm an idiot.. I meant to write I opened number 1 bottle and filled the oil filter, using .5qts. I then put 10 whole qts in the filler. So I used the 10 and half of 11. I could have sworn I read somewhere the oil capacity was more 10.6. So that's what was going through my head at the time. So I did put 10.5 in. I'm just waiting for it to cool down and check the level again.
Old 09-10-2023, 05:51 PM   #62
CalgaryZL1

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftking123 View Post
Once it cools down, you will contract on your dipstick not expand! check it in two hours after cools down?
CalgaryZL1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 05:58 PM   #63
driftking123

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryZL1 View Post
Once it cools down, you will contract on your dipstick not expand! check it in two hours after cools down?
Thanks, I've check it after dinner and hopefully it's ok.
Old 09-10-2023, 05:59 PM   #64
CalgaryZL1

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro ZL1
You need to let everything run down from the upper internals to get an accurate measurement before you check it
CalgaryZL1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 07:14 PM   #65
driftking123

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryZL1 View Post
You need to let everything run down from the upper internals to get an accurate measurement before you check it
So I just checked the level and it is at the top x and slightly going up the little ramp towards the cylindrical top part of the dip stick. So I think the level is fine. I do want to ask, could I have filled the oil filter too much before I installed it? I know that sounds dumb, but I'm just curious. Because, to be honest this is the first I have ever put oil in the filter. I have done hundreds of oil changes in dozens of vehicles over the years, but never put oil in the filter with no issues. But, I saw it on a video yesterday and I just HAD to try it. lol So when I was putting the oil in the PF64 filter it would go to the top and then "drain" into the filter more. So I kept adding oil and it took about half of the quart. Is this normal?

Or is my oil pump failing.
Old 09-10-2023, 07:20 PM   #66
MT-SS1LE

Drives: 2023 SS 1LE Sharkskin
My pf64 filter took about half a quart of oil too. I very seriously doubt that an extra half-quart in a 10 quart system is going to do any harm. Many people deliberately overfill the oil by 1 quart when tracking their car with no ill effects.
Old 09-10-2023, 07:31 PM   #67
driftking123

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT-SS1LE View Post
My pf64 filter took about half a quart of oil too. I very seriously doubt that an extra half-quart in a 10 quart system is going to do any harm. Many people deliberately overfill the oil by 1 quart when tracking their car with no ill effects.
Thank you very much for this. I agree and I think I have another issue with my trans or diff and the puff of smoke when I went to check the level was very ODD. But even my wife asked, have you ever checked the level right after a drive? And I'm not sure, but still--puff of smoke, really car. Sheesh I take care of Candy and she already had a broken water pump 4 months after I bought her new. Sheeesh. LOL