Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

AWE Tuning

Old 02-24-2020, 05:10 PM   #1
Blackmonba6Gen
BLUPRINT_1LE

Drives: 2022 Rapid Blue SS 1LE
Recommended Tire Size for 19s Street/Track Use

I have spent some dedicated time researching wheels and tires and I’ve decided to go with the Apex ARC8 wheels. They look awesome,lightweight and price, best purchase ever made. However based on my intentions with the car I plan on using my car as street/track car. So far I have 19x10et20 and 19x11et43 waiting for some tires. Based on this setup which would be best recommendation for my car. Apex recommends 285/305.. I figured I’ll ask people who are avid track warriors because the car will be more track focused overtime.

So the question is:

What’s the benefit between having 285/305 with this staggered setup?
Would a 285/325 be better? (My initial plan)
Would a 305 fit on the front with 5mm spacer or it’s best to keep 285 to avoid tire warping?

Currently have an SS with MRC. I’ve read a lot of 1LE posts like glamcem and seanblurr but not too many with MRC.

IG: BLUPRINT_1LE
YT: BLUPRINT_1LE

----------------------------------------------------------------
Blackmonba6Gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 07:22 PM   #2
Scargoes

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 2SS 1LE
Some who autocross in Street class(formally Stock) run 305s on both. They are a bit pinched on the 10" front wheels but doable. It really depends on the tire you decide to run. if you could find a 285/30 and 305/30 tire you like, the F/R ratio would be close enough to stock to not mess with the nannies.

1:34.20 Willow Springs Big Track
Scargoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 08:55 PM   #3
foshjowler

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T, 91 Miata
285/305 is pretty good for those size rims. Don't be afraid to +/- 10mm if needed to get the tires you want. Compound is much more important than width. For daily use, I wouldn't go 305s on the front. I just did it for autox, and it doesn't really fit that well. Camber will help, but they're still poking out of the fender a little bit. Plus, the 305s tramline pretty bad driving down the highway.
foshjowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 12:01 PM   #4
Blackmonba6Gen
BLUPRINT_1LE

When it comes to tires.. I am torn between the Michelin PS4S or the Nitto NT01(I'm open to others options). The reason why is because since I am not towing my car to these different track events my car will gain miles with the tires going-to and from the track alone this year. I will be tracking my car at National Corvette Museum (500 miles round trip), then to Autobahn in Illinois(500 Miles Round Trip) and 2 local track events. So I'm trying to justify which tire will fit best for this scenario. If i had to buy another set, I figure that would be the case anyways because I dont think the tires will last anyways after the first two track weekends.

Old 02-25-2020, 12:59 PM   #5
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
im on the michelin ps4s and they are great on the street and also on the track and even on the wet!
Old 03-10-2020, 04:16 PM   #6
Grintch

Drives: 2015 Mustang GT PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmonba6Gen View Post
When it comes to tires.. I am torn between the Michelin PS4S or the Nitto NT01(I'm open to others options). The reason why is because since I am not towing my car to these different track events my car will gain miles with the tires going-to and from the track alone this year. I will be tracking my car at National Corvette Museum (500 miles round trip), then to Autobahn in Illinois(500 Miles Round Trip) and 2 local track events. So I'm trying to justify which tire will fit best for this scenario. If i had to buy another set, I figure that would be the case anyways because I dont think the tires will last anyways after the first two track weekends.
I wouldn't want to have to drive that far on NT01s, and the Michelins are not that great on the track (and are often pricey). So if 100 treadware tires and 300 treadwear tires aren't good for your usage, take a look at the 200 TW class.
Grintch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 06:30 PM   #7
Blackmonba6Gen
BLUPRINT_1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grintch View Post
I wouldn't want to have to drive that far on NT01s, and the Michelins are not that great on the track (and are often pricey). So if 100 treadware tires and 300 treadwear tires aren't good for your usage, take a look at the 200 TW class.
Thanks. I’ve finally caved in and bought the Continental ECS to scoot around in. I will just have to swap to my stock tires when I make it to the track. It’s unfortunate but it’s the only option at this point.