Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 02-10-2011, 05:21 PM   #1
mwt18

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Built in Dyno ???

I was playing around with my Diablosport Trinity today and found a parameter called "Engine Actual Steady State Torque". I turned it on and it seems like a pretty accurate measurement of the engine torque output. I also logged a WOT run in 2nd gear and plotted it against RPM. The trend of the curve follows my real dyno curve really closely. It is about 15% higher, though.

Does anyone know how the ECU measures/calculates the "Engine Actual Steady State Torque" and how accurate it really is?

Here's a couple of pics.
1. A pic of the gauge (at idle).
2. Plot of Torque vs. RPM.
Attached Images

- Maggie w/ 3.6" Pulley | Kooks Coated 1 7/8" LT Headers | Rotofab CAI | MSD FPVB | ZR1 Twin Disc Clutch / LPE flywheel | MGW Short Throw Shifter | Diablosport Trinity / PLX boost & AFR sensor modules | TCI line-lock
mwt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:52 PM   #2
Tampa Tuning
Account Suspended

Drives: TAMPA TUNING FACEBOOK & INSTAGRAM
I've set up my HP Tuners to have a PID for delivered torque. Its not accurate, but its a good gauge. Its consistant, but not accurate. I use it as a gauge to see it I picked up torque when adding fuel or timing, or if it drops off. Its a good instrument, but not true. Im not sure if yours is the same
Tampa Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 07:52 PM   #3
mwt18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Tuning View Post
I've set up my HP Tuners to have a PID for delivered torque. Its not accurate, but its a good gauge. Its consistant, but not accurate. I use it as a gauge to see it I picked up torque when adding fuel or timing, or if it drops off. Its a good instrument, but not true. Im not sure if yours is the same
Well, that's interesting.. I could make an argument that most dynos aren't really that accurate, but they are more for comparison purposes. It seems to me like this PID may be a useful tuning tool after all. And if so, it would actually be better than a dyno tune since the car gets true loading and air flow during the pull.

Sure wish Ted Jannetty would chime in.
- Maggie w/ 3.6" Pulley | Kooks Coated 1 7/8" LT Headers | Rotofab CAI | MSD FPVB | ZR1 Twin Disc Clutch / LPE flywheel | MGW Short Throw Shifter | Diablosport Trinity / PLX boost & AFR sensor modules | TCI line-lock

Last edited by mwt18; 02-10-2011 at 07:58 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-11-2011, 07:48 AM   #4
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwt18 View Post
Well, that's interesting.. I could make an argument that most dynos aren't really that accurate, but they are more for comparison purposes. It seems to me like this PID may be a useful tuning tool after all. And if so, it would actually be better than a dyno tune since the car gets true loading and air flow during the pull.

Sure wish Ted Jannetty would chime in.
The reported torque can and will be Skewed by the Tune depending on tuning procedures.

I can make it read very high or very low and not change the power output.

A Dyno is Still the Best way to Accurately see if you gained or lost when making changes because it is independent of the car.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:42 AM   #5
mwt18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
The reported torque can and will be Skewed by the Tune depending on tuning procedures.

I can make it read very high or very low and not change the power output.

A Dyno is Still the Best way to Accurately see if you gained or lost when making changes because it is independent of the car.

Ted.
That definitely deflates my bubble. But it's not completely busted, yet... =)

Do you know how the ECU measures this output? Can you say more about what tuning procedures affects it's value?
Thanks
Old 02-11-2011, 09:53 AM   #6
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwt18 View Post
That definitely deflates my bubble. But it's not completely busted, yet... =)

Do you know how the ECU measures this output? Can you say more about what tuning procedures affects it's value?
Thanks
All I can say is it is Calculated based on multiple Sensors
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote