Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-16-2022, 02:26 AM   #1
ap1969

Drives: 2022 ss convertible
sell 22 SS convertible

Need some advice on where to put add for 2022 Camaro SS convertible. Circumstances are forcing me to sell my new Camaro and I need to know best options to try. Do I settle for WS at dealer or place like CarMax? I owe GM on it, can I still retail it and have buyer take the paper? Never been in situation like this, help! Thanks.
ap1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 05:41 AM   #2
L99BEN

Drives: 2023 BMW M4 Competition
This is a rare great time to sell but not buy!! I have sold several cars privately and to dealerships over the years. You could of course make several more thousand selling privately. If it were me I'd try the stealerships first, as I don't like the stress and hassle of dealing with people (test drives, shady money dealings etc) imo. CARMAX used to offer more cars 20 years ago but now they waste your time with a lengthy inspection and proceed to lowball you!!
I'd shop around different dealers to see who offers the best price on a desirable car this new. Typical large dealerships barely inspect the car and may not even drive it.
Selling to dealerships is so easy, they make dealing with the paperwork easy and cut you a check you can trust. Just be sure to shop around and make sure you aren't getting low-balled!!
If you're planning on buying another car (again not a good time to buy currently), trading may look even more appealing if you are in a state where you only pay tax on the difference in trade worth and price of the new car...

Past:
2022 Tesla S Plaid
2020 Shelby GT500 sold
2019 Hellcat Redeye-traded for new GT500
2019 ZL1 A10 - sold (meh)
2019 Tesla M3P
2016 Hellcat Challenger - A8 sold but never forgotten
2016 Camaro 2SS M6
2014 Mustang GT A6
2012 Mustang GT M6 "brembo" 3.73/FBO
2012 Camaro SS L99 (Wife's)
- slow
L99BEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 07:50 AM   #3
TP2SS

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
As Ben said, shop it around on/at:
Local dealers
Semi-local dealers (if you're willing to drive it 100-200 miles to get a possible better price)
Carvana
Vroom
and lastly, list it on AutoTrader and or CarGurus.

No one "takes over the paper" anymore, if that was ever a thing anyway. If you sell to a dealer or one of the online buyers noted above, they'll take care of the payoff and dealing with obtaining clear title from your GM financing. If selling privately, it's going to be a bit harder for the buyer (and you). You'd have to contact GM Financing for the payoff on the date of sale, and you'll have to figure out who writes the check to GM, you or the buyer, and the buyer will have to be okay with waiting a few days for clear title.

Sorry you have to sell, and good luck!
Magnetic Ride Control
Dual Mode Exhaust
2019+ version Split Spoke Silver Wheels
Navigation
Silver Rally Stripes
TP2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 08:46 AM   #4
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Don't forget to get a quote from driveway.com as well.

Selling to anyone will require that the loan gets paid off. If you sell to a commercial entity, they will work out a contract with you that provides payoff for the loan as part of the deal (overages to you, underages and you pay them). If you sell to a private party, you will have to pay it off, wait for the title, and then transfer to them. So, even if you sell privately, you may have to discount it a bit to get the buyer to wait for the paperwork to go through.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 10:29 AM   #5
NOTSINCE57

Drives: '23 1SS 1LE-Sharkskin M6
I second what ember1205 says. I just sold my Charger to driveway.com last month. Not only was it surprisingly easy, they paid way too much that car. (about 5k more) than any other place. Also, paying it off was a breeze thru my bank.
NOTSINCE57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 01:59 AM   #6
ap1969

Drives: 2022 ss convertible
sell 22 SS

Thanks to all who gave advice!
ap1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 09:14 AM   #7
ckt227

Drives: CHEVROLET CORVETTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
Don't forget to get a quote from driveway.com as well.

Selling to anyone will require that the loan gets paid off. If you sell to a commercial entity, they will work out a contract with you that provides payoff for the loan as part of the deal (overages to you, underages and you pay them). If you sell to a private party, you will have to pay it off, wait for the title, and then transfer to them. So, even if you sell privately, you may have to discount it a bit to get the buyer to wait for the paperwork to go through.
I agree. Try Driveway. I sold them my 21 Tahoe RST for $12k more than I paid for it. Then I tried to sell them my 21 2SS 1LE with 160 miles on it. They offered around $49k a few months ago which I thought was low so I just traded it for about the same and saved on taxes on my 22 ZL1. The rep on the phone said they couldn't account or the computer was stumped/couldn't factor in the 1LE package. But try them all because when I was getting quotes from Driveway, Carmax, etc., the offers varied from a low of $44k-$49k. I tried selling it on this site. Some interest but only 1 person came and looked. Good luck.
ckt227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 10:15 AM   #8
1fastz28

Drives: 2022 2SS 1LE
I Sold my miata yesterday since my camaro was delivered at the dealership. I used givemethevin.com i contacted my credit union and they sent them the payoff info, they paid the car off and cut me a check for the difference. It was super easy and i'm sure carvana/vroom/auto nation or any other company like that will be very similar.
1fastz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 10:43 AM   #9
Crushin_LT1

Drives: 2021 LT1 6spd
wow, i just did a driveway.com offer and they're still offering more than it was worth new.

Tempting, but that used market is brutal.
Old 05-25-2022, 10:46 AM   #10
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1969 View Post
Need some advice on where to put add for 2022 Camaro SS convertible. Circumstances are forcing me to sell my new Camaro and I need to know best options to try. Do I settle for WS at dealer or place like CarMax? I owe GM on it, can I still retail it and have buyer take the paper? Never been in situation like this, help! Thanks.
You list your location as Illinois. Just FYI that Carvana’s license to operate in Illinois has been suspended.

https://wgntv.com/news/illinois/carv...e-in-illinois/

SPRINGFIELD, Ill. (WTVO) — The state of Illinois has suspended the license of online auto dealer Carvana after the company failed to properly transfer titles on vehicles it sold.

The company is also accused of misusing out-of-state temporary registration permits, according to Automotive News.

The Illinois Secretary of State opened an investigation into over 90 consumer complaints in February and said Carvana will have to “resolve the issues at hand” before the suspension can be lifted.
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote