Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-09-2014, 11:21 PM   #1
otter

Drives: Eastbound and Down
Challenger questions

I was at a Dodge dealer today and a 100th anniversary edition Challenger really caught my eye. I am looking at the SXT plus edition.

I have a couple of questions.

Are all Dodges considered Mopar?

I have a 2012 LT1 Camaro, options wise, are these comparable?

Will a 100 year anniversary model, go up in value?

I am not at all familiar with Dodge products, anything I should be aware of?

Thanks,
Old 05-09-2014, 11:38 PM   #2
top_of_the_pile

Drives: Piercer
Quote:
Originally Posted by otter View Post
I was at a Dodge dealer today and a 100th anniversary edition Challenger really caught my eye. I am looking at the SXT plus edition.

Are all Dodges considered Mopar?

I have a 2012 LT1 Camaro, options wise, are these comparable?

Will a 100 year anniversary model, go up in value?

I am not at all familiar with Dodge products, anything I should be aware of?

Thanks,

Wait a few months! 2015 Challengers are going to be out in few months. (August?) Major, MAJOR refresh, especially on the interior. New rear and front as well. Shaker hoods making a major come back too. No major changes on the engines, although there is the new 8-speed auto tranny that should be pretty good from a tech perspective, for an auto at least, 30+ MPG easy. Interior is amazing though. And they finally dropped the rear styling that made it look like tron-mobile-from-da-hood.

And yes, as per Chrysler heritage, engines have massive issues, recalls galore, timing chains breaking at 30k and causing catastrophic failures as a matter of fact, but you know what, I've had two 5th gen Camaros now, (well three technically, but that's a long story) and the fit and finish is pretty horrible and the engines are gremlin infested. Most importantly, the auto transmissions on the 5th gens are pieces of shi* too. Laggy, jerky messes that make you wish for the hell that is the CVT.

What I am saying at least with 2015 Challenger you still get the shi*-engine-problems that come with American pony cars but at least styling is proper retro and not the jap/euro direction Camaros are taking (see 2014 refresh), interior and fit and finish are not poop, and there is always that nice 8-speed. Also, shaker hoods > cowl hoods. In addition, as per Chrysler roadmap, no major changes after 2015 on the Challengers until 2018 or so. So resale value should a bit better in short term.
top_of_the_pile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 12:03 AM   #3
2012 Mustang GT

Drives: 2012 Mustang GT, 1998 Cobra
I doubt they will go up in value...no used car as of late has gone up in value save for the Ford GT. Will it have more value down the road than a regular SXT Challenger? Possibly, but it depends on how much the 100 Anniversary Package costs. If its a $3000 package and is worth $1500 more in 5 years than a regular SXT then its not worth it.
And you will be losing performance compared to your current V6 Camaro. You will be getting a heavier car, with less HP. And the Challengers have all been priced a little higher than the Camaro and Mustang from what I have seen on the lots. I would join the Challenger forum and ask around there
2012 Mustang GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 12:17 AM   #4
top_of_the_pile

Drives: Piercer
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012 Mustang GT View Post
I doubt they will go up in value...no used car as of late has gone up in value save for the Ford GT. Will it have more value down the road than a regular SXT Challenger? Possibly, but it depends on how much the 100 Anniversary Package costs. If its a $3000 package and is worth $1500 more in 5 years than a regular SXT then its not worth it.
And you will be losing performance compared to your current V6 Camaro. You will be getting a heavier car, with less HP. And the Challengers have all been priced a little higher than the Camaro and Mustang from what I have seen on the lots. I would join the Challenger forum and ask around there
Challengers are number 10 and Camaros number 9 on list of top 10 cars that have best resale value after 6 years, for base models as a measure. Percentage difference being only 1 percent between the two. So good choice either way, since you will be getting at least 55-60 percent in value after six years on either. Major difference is that after 2015 refresh, Challengers will remain unchanged until 2018, AT LEAST. By then we might even have 7th gen Camaros, or 6.5 gen at least.

otter, again, 2015 Challenger will hold better value for the short term at least due to the lack of value reducing refreshes. Also, worst case scenario, come 2018 you are stuck with a true retro pony car, instead of 1-2 gen old Camaro (at which point Camaros will look like BRZ/FR-S clones and Mustangs will be hatch-only four door 4-cyl turbos). Disappointing how quickly did GM and Ford abandon the retro trend. :(
top_of_the_pile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 12:42 AM   #5
Thrillz

Drives: 2019 Dodge Daytona R/T
Short answer i wouldn't touch it. At 2015 R/T is where its at imo. Challengers are a really heavy car you really do need the V8 imo.
Old 05-10-2014, 12:54 AM   #6
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
www.lxforums.com

they will answer all your mopar questions.

Last edited by Mr. iNCREDIBLE; 05-10-2014 at 10:03 PM.
Mr. iNCREDIBLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 02:23 AM   #7
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. iNCREDIBLE View Post
www.lxforums.com

they will answer all your molar questions.
Personally I'd rather go to a dentist with molar questions!
Old 05-10-2014, 05:04 AM   #8
evh5150vanhalen

Drives: 2010 ABM Camaro 2SS
Quote:

Are all Dodges considered Mopar? Yes.

I have a 2012 LT1 Camaro, options wise, are these comparable? Can't help you there

Will a 100 year anniversary model, go up in value? Doubtful

I am not at all familiar with Dodge products, anything I should be aware of? I've had 0 problems with my 2009 SRT8

Thanks,
evh5150vanhalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 08:42 AM   #9
Stew

Drives: 92 Luminadead/01 Dakota/97 F150 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by top_of_the_pile View Post
Wait a few months! 2015 Challengers are going to be out in few months. (August?) Major, MAJOR refresh, especially on the interior. New rear and front as well. Shaker hoods making a major come back too. No major changes on the engines, although there is the new 8-speed auto tranny that should be pretty good from a tech perspective, for an auto at least, 30+ MPG easy. Interior is amazing though. And they finally dropped the rear styling that made it look like tron-mobile-from-da-hood.

And yes, as per Chrysler heritage, engines have massive issues, recalls galore, timing chains breaking at 30k and causing catastrophic failures as a matter of fact, but you know what, I've had two 5th gen Camaros now, (well three technically, but that's a long story) and the fit and finish is pretty horrible and the engines are gremlin infested. Most importantly, the auto transmissions on the 5th gens are pieces of shi* too. Laggy, jerky messes that make you wish for the hell that is the CVT.

What I am saying at least with 2015 Challenger you still get the shi*-engine-problems that come with American pony cars but at least styling is proper retro and not the jap/euro direction Camaros are taking (see 2014 refresh), interior and fit and finish are not poop, and there is always that nice 8-speed. Also, shaker hoods > cowl hoods. In addition, as per Chrysler roadmap, no major changes after 2015 on the Challengers until 2018 or so. So resale value should a bit better in short term.
Yes, wait for the 15.

the last 2 paragraphs are a load of bullshit. the 3.6 Pentastar and the hemi are both extremely reliable and bulletproof. The 5 speed autos are NOT problem prone and not that bad, just outdated. The 8 speed WILL blow them away, but they do most conventional autos.... Hell, my little Dakota has 240k miles and runs like a champ. i did swap for a 4.7 HO from the standard 4.7, but even that motor has 180k miles now and runs PERFECT. Honestly, the Mopars have been my most reliable and trouble-free cars while my GMs have been the most troublesome. i have owned around 20 cars over the last 18 years BTW.

TO answer some original questions:

the 100th anniversary should have more standard features than a 1LT as a basically loaded model. Resale will be good, but I don't see value increasing on ANY V6 pony car ever.

mopar is anything under Chrysler. Chrysler, Dodge, Ram, Jeep, even Fiat. mopar is their aftermarket parts group. The make 1 Mopar edition on one car each year for example. 10 was the Challenger, 11 the Charger, 12 the 300, 13 the Dart, and 14 the Challenger gets a second wind.

honestly I think you will be happy with the 14, great cars! Honestly though, if i was looking at a 14 i would look at an R/T. You can get a decently optioned R/T for around the 30k range and a base R/T well into the 20s. there are so many options too. You have R/T, R/T plus, Classic, track pack, super track pack, 100th anniversary, and the Shaker (my favorite, classic with the super track pack would be a VERY close second!). The 100th Anniversaries are also available in the R/T and are VERY sharp looking too!
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 08:59 AM   #10
Stew

Drives: 92 Luminadead/01 Dakota/97 F150 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012 Mustang GT View Post
The Pentastar is basically a dead heat with an automatic Camaro with the performance package (3.07 gears, better suspension and better brakes, this is starndard on Rallye Redline or the 100th anniversary edition). While the standard pricing is a bit higher on the Challenger it is mainly because it has the auto standard and standard features you have to pay extra from on the Camaro or isn't available on the Camaro at all (IE keyless entry and push button start). otherwise feature for feature the Challenger is actually a bit cheaper. you must be comparing loaded Challengers to LS Camaros (there is no challenger that sparsely equipped).
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 09:42 AM   #11
otter

Drives: Eastbound and Down
Thanks for the info everyone. I didn't know about the 2015 refresh.

I was planing on getting a 2014 Camaro 1LT with the RS package. But I am not finding what want at the dealers.

I stopped by Dodge on a whim and found the 100 Anniversary car. I could tell it's been on the lot for a while. It's been reduced from 33k to 26k.

This is why I hate buying cars.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:04 PM   #12
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dallas View Post
Personally I'd rather go to a dentist with molar questions!
lol, yeah typing on an ipad while watching TV, not really paying attention..
Old 05-10-2014, 11:24 PM   #13
Silverlsinva

Drives: 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth Grigio
Quote:
Thanks for the info everyone. I didn't know about the 2015 refresh.

I was planing on getting a 2014 Camaro 1LT with the RS package. But I am not finding what want at the dealers.

I stopped by Dodge on a whim and found the 100 Anniversary car. I could tell it's been on the lot for a while. It's been reduced from 33k to 26k.

This is why I hate buying cars.
If u don't mind waiting a lil while u can always order what u want and wait till it got dropped off at the dealer.
Silverlsinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 11:56 PM   #14
Q'smuscle
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro VR 2SS/RS & Impala
I'd say that the current challenger is more Retro than the 15's. And like the current challengers better!
Q'smuscle is offline   Reply With Quote