Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-04-2023, 12:04 PM   #15
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shock and Steel View Post
As with Ford and Jeep, the Chevy voice commands suck. It doesn't understand half of what I say, and I speak clearly. When it does understand what I say, I have to make extra choices because my music is on my phone and on my USB drives.

I might try plugging in my phone directly through the car's USB, and see how that is to control the music from my phone... if it lets me.
Ah, so it hasn't improved much after the refresh.

Speaking of which, I am actually okay with it, it works most of the time. When it doesn't, I made the mental adjustment to handle it as if it's a kid, which can be somewhat entertaining:

"command please"
"play 'Only Fool in Town'"
"play all the fools inbound?"
"NO!... play 'Only. Fool. In. Town.'"
"play 'Only Fool in Town' by Gary Moore"?
"yes"
"playing 'Only Fool in Town' by Gary Moore"

or

"command please"
"call home"
"call Bonnie?"
"NO!... call home"
"I'm sorry, I don't understand... command please"
"call home"
"repeat please"
"caaaall hoooaaammm"
"call home?"
"YES"
"calling home..."

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 12:15 PM   #16
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
The jam and groove in the old Zappa tune "Son of Mr. Green Genes" (album: Hot Rats) is fantastic while driving. Particularly when the solo begins at just after 1 minute, which is about how long it takes me to reach the main road from my house.

If you like bluesy jazz the whole album is worth a listen.
Gunkk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 12:58 PM   #17
Shock and Steel

Drives: 2023 Camaro Convertible 2LT
I've decided to give in, and just use the Apple Car Play.

I have all of my music on my phone already; but I originally felt that the quality was bad. Actually the poor quality I was hearing was related to the "flat" bass, mid, and treble settings. The Bose system is very bass-forward, so I have my bass at -4, mid at +1, and treble at +7, and then the sound comes through beautifully.

Quick question for any tech people out there. Is the Infotainment system connecting to my phone via Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, or something in between? The clarity is actually quite good, which makes me think it's not connecting by traditional Bluetooth.
Shock and Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 12:10 PM   #18
Shock and Steel

Wi-Fi is definitely involved with Apple Car Play, in conjunction with Bluetooth. Both have to be on and active on my phone to use the Apple Car Play in the car. If I try to shut off either Bluetooth or Wi-Fi, then I get a warning that the Apple Car Play connection will be lost.

I made some revised playlists, and I think the Apple Car Play is much more tolerable know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capricio View Post
I have most of my music in the car on a 64G USB flash drive. I'm only allowed to choose tracks inside a folder, it's frustrating not being able to navigate back a level and see my folders/albums unless I'm fully stopped. So, yes, if anyone knows a way around this (yeah, I know, we're all gonna die!) I'd be glad to hear it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vj123 View Post
I have my songs loaded in a USB as well and this is the first vehicle i am facing this issue.

Even though it might be something minor, its really annoying especially when one is on an interstate.
I originally thought that Apple Car Play was making the music sound poor due to the Bluetooth connection... but I now think that the poor sound was coming from the Bass-Mid-Treble controls being way out of whack. I now have those setting adjusted much differently than any other car I've had and my home set-up... but I'm getting a great sound out of the Bose system.

I think the audio connection is similar to what Sonos wireless home systems use... which is a key component in their high quality.

For USB users, if the Infotainment system is in your main driver, I recommend using the Apple Car Play, and save the flash drives for other applications. Another nice reason to embrace ACP is you get the nice album artwork on the Infotainment screen, which you don't get when you play music through USB. I spent a long time getting all of those nice album covers; I want to see them!
Old 06-14-2023, 02:15 PM   #19
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
Hey Siri, play 'Black Sabbath' by Black Sabbath.

Works for me.
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 08:02 PM   #20
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
The voice recognition on my 2017 is worthless. I'll say "call home" and it will ask me what location I want directions to. It used to work when I first got the car but not for years.

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 08:08 PM   #21
Shock and Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundhogSS View Post
The voice recognition on my 2017 is worthless. I'll say "call home" and it will ask me what location I want directions to. It used to work when I first got the car but not for years.

I don't know if you have Apple Car Play in your car, but I've been playing with holding down the voice recognition button until the Siri graphic pops up, then I say "Hey Siri, call ____" or "Hey Siri, play ____." It's working pretty well actually... better than the Infotainment VR system.
Old 06-15-2023, 08:19 PM   #22
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundhogSS View Post
Interestingly, the word "home" is what the system in my 2018 has the most problems with. I can tell it to play songs, switch to a radio channel or call specific contacts with few if any problems, as long as names or titles don't contain this word. 1st world problems, heh.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 10:16 PM   #23
DorsoDuroJohn

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1
it's a total piece of shat for voice commands, and the original posted issue is super irritating. Stupid Chevy...
DorsoDuroJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 11:07 AM   #24
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
For Android users, here's a possible fix:
https://www.reviewgeek.com/155435/in...oice-commands/

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 05:55 PM   #25
Capricio

Drives: 2000 WS6
Quote:
I originally thought that Apple Car Play was making the music sound poor due to the Bluetooth connection... but I now think that the poor sound was coming from the Bass-Mid-Treble controls being way out of whack. I now have those setting adjusted much differently than any other car I've had and my home set-up... but I'm getting a great sound out of the Bose system.

I'd be curious to see how you configured your EQ settings to achieve an output you're satisfied with. Can you share your settings? I know it's very subjective but I'll give them a try.

Quote:
For USB users, if the Infotainment system is in your main driver, I recommend using the Apple Car Play, and save the flash drives for other applications. Another nice reason to embrace ACP is you get the nice album artwork on the Infotainment screen, which you don't get when you play music through USB. I spent a long time getting all of those nice album covers; I want to see them!

I'm an android user. Is there something in the MyLink "store" that can act as a USB player with better file navigation? My only other idea is to leave a USB C flash drive in my Pixel 6A and play the files using an android app, but wireless AA will burn through my battery pretty quickly. ...or, buy a different phone with tons of internal storage or one of the few remaining (Moto, maybe?) that still support having a micro-SD card.
Capricio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 06:21 PM   #26
Shock and Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capricio View Post
I'd be curious to see how you configured your EQ settings to achieve an output you're satisfied with. Can you share your settings? I know it's very subjective but I'll give them a try.

I'm an android user. Is there something in the MyLink "store" that can act as a USB player with better file navigation? My only other idea is to leave a USB C flash drive in my Pixel 6A and play the files using an android app, but wireless AA will burn through my battery pretty quickly. ...or, buy a different phone with tons of internal storage or one of the few remaining (Moto, maybe?) that still support having a micro-SD card.
I have my Bass at -4 or -5 depending on the artist/genre, my Mid at +1 or +2, and my Treble at +6 or +7, again depending on the music. In past cars, I never had to turn the bass down that much, even in very powerful systems with lots of power and subwoofers. The upgraded Alpine systems I had in my Grand Cherokees were superior to the Bose (the Alpine systems were overwhelming and larger than life), but I have the Bose sounding pretty nice now.

I have no experience with Android phones or the MyLink store.
Old 06-17-2023, 07:23 PM   #27
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
I did have AA do this to me the other day

FF - set alarm for 4:30 to do XXX
AA - ok alarm for 4:30, what time do you want the alarm

we did this "too many times" embarrassed to say how many. ok, 7.

She never did get my alarm set and was answering me correctly. Comically stupid. And people are pushing AI.

Artificial Idiocracy.

OP, yes the touch screen commands are grayed out when in motion. Voice has not failed me on music choices but constantly confuses my "call or text" someone. Maybe my northern/southern accent

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 07:25 PM   #28
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Ah, so it hasn't improved much after the refresh.

Speaking of which, I am actually okay with it, it works most of the time. When it doesn't, I made the mental adjustment to handle it as if it's a kid, which can be somewhat entertaining:

"command please"
"play 'Only Fool in Town'"
"play all the fools inbound?"
"NO!... play 'Only. Fool. In. Town.'"
"play 'Only Fool in Town' by Gary Moore"?
"yes"
"playing 'Only Fool in Town' by Gary Moore"

or

"command please"
"call home"
"call Bonnie?"
"NO!... call home"
"I'm sorry, I don't understand... command please"
"call home"
"repeat please"
"caaaall hoooaaammm"
"call home?"
"YES"
"calling home..."

THIS!!!

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote